Expectations about weight OT

Old May 8th 06, 09:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Rude Comments about Weight - Was: Expectations about weight OT

Speaking about weight, I've never had so many rude comments as when I
recently gained weight (due to medical reasons.) Some of the comments:

OMG, you're so fat!
(Really, I hadn't noticed...)

Why are you so fat?
(Why are you so rude?)

You should lose weight.
(You should grow a brain...)

I liked you better when you were slim.
(Well, I never liked you at all...)

I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them right now.

Any others?

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
Catpage: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old May 8th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

and the eternal "are you sure ...?" whenever you go to eat *anything*
at all.
(of course I'm bloody sure)

Mostly, though, it's non-verbal "comments" that give me the irrits. I
don't think people have *any* idea how much they communicate with
body-language.

Tish

Old May 8th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Expectations about weight OT

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
I also like using a lot of beans - kidney beans, borlotti beans,
chickpeas, etc.

So do I. I'm not supposed to eat any animal proteins, so I use beans and
nuts for protein. I especially love chickpeas. Usually make a curry out
of them, but I also have a very nice salad recipe that I posted some
time last year.

Old May 8th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

and the eternal "are you sure ...?" whenever you go to eat *anything*
at all.
(of course I'm bloody sure)

How about, "do you really NEED that?"

If it's regular food, duh!

If it's a dessert, then no, I don't need it. Nobody needs it! I
WANT it!

Joyce
Old May 8th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Matthew aka NMR wrote:
If you want recipes ideas or what ever just ask I know hunfreds of ways to
make eating healthy taste gret and be easy. Specaily I just learned a new
onion ring recipe that does not involved deep frying

Thanks. Like I replied to Marina, I want simple, quick and tasty veggie
based dishes without bell peppers of any colour. Feel free to email me
off the list, my addy is fairly dechiferable.

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old May 8th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:
I also like using a lot of beans - kidney beans, borlotti beans,
chickpeas, etc. Preparing the beans from scratch may taste a little
better, but tinned beans are so quick and are always in my cupboard.
They can be used as part of a pasta sauce / casserole (minestrone
style) or as part of a mexican-style dish (with ground corriander,
cumin and chilli), as part of an eastern European style stew with a
little bacon, and so on. Admittedly, mostly my efforts turn out to be
variants on the "brown stew" concept, but they taste good and are very
filling without being too fattening (mind you, you have to stay away
from the cheese and cream toppings!).

Beans can also be used to "stretch" minced (ground) meat recipes, e.g.
substituting half the quantity of minced meat for red kidney beans
when cooking bolognaise sauce. You can also "pad" bolognaise sauce by
putting in lots of grated carrot, or one of my favourites, beetroot
(which gives the sauce a spectacular colour) - they both add a bit of
sweetness to the sauce and make a little bit of meat go a *long* way.

I do use mince meat a lot, and these ideas of "stretching" recipes with
beans, carrots, beetroot and such are great. I seldom use recipes when I
cook, I just like to feel my way, and have been known to use the
strangest seasonings as long as the end result is tasty.

I'm going through the process you're about to start (and from roughly
the same starting point) and so far I've lost about 15kg without any
extraordinary effort. I know I have a long way to go, but making some
progress is such a nice feeling. I've been following the guidelines
of a low GI diet (with varying degrees of strictness), which works for
me. I started exercising by walking a short distance and then
gradually increasing it. I began with finding it hard to walk 20
minutes at a good pace and now, 18 months later, am walking 2-3 hours
at a time (although not every day!). I also am getting out and
working in the garden more often, which is great upper-body and
stretching exercise. I find it difficult to stick to a gym routine,
so a more informal regime of getting out of doors works for me.

Tish

Congrats on the good results!! And even better if you don't feel like
you're dieting. After all, what at least I'm trying to achieve, is
learning to eat the right foods at the right amounts, because I'm
obviously not doing that or I wouldn't be this size...

Old May 8th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-08, Christine K. penned:

Well, I've had a total stranger comment on my buying cookies with
something like "you don't really need those". No, Marina, it wasn't
a Finn but, by the sound of it, an American. This was some 5 years
ago and I still remember it, I was so astonished. He wasn't skinny
himself either, so I don't think he really was in the position of
making such a comment. Besides, not that I remember anymore, but we
could have had guests coming over and the cookies could have been
for them.

I don't think anyone, with the *possible* exception of a doctor, is in
a position to make that comment.

There definitely seems to be a double standard when it comes to how
acceptable fat men are vs. fat women. Although I'm sure fat men get
plenty of crap from other people, too.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 8th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-08, Tish Silberbauer penned:
and the eternal "are you sure ...?" whenever you go to eat
*anything* at all. (of course I'm bloody sure)

Mostly, though, it's non-verbal "comments" that give me the irrits.
I don't think people have *any* idea how much they communicate with
body-language.

*Goes to get another helping*

*sharp indrawn breath from other person*

"What?"

"Geez, I didn't say anything! Stop being so sensitive!"

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 8th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

There definitely seems to be a double standard when it comes to how
acceptable fat men are vs. fat women. Although I'm sure fat men get
plenty of crap from other people, too.

We do, but keeping a perpetual scowl on your face greatly reduces the
frequency with which it occurs. And that scowl isn't at all hard to
maintain if you get as disgusted as I do with the state of society.

Dan