Persia Update 3/11/2010

Old March 11th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia Update 3/11/2010

Persia went for a follow-up today. Her thyroid levels look much better, as
did the liver enzymes and CBC panel. Everything is showing marked
improvement!

BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there?) a few nights ago I noticed she
kept wiggling or shaking her ears (best description I can come up with).
And she started constantly washing them and scratching with her back paws.
This was accompanied by more frequent overall grooming. Last night I
noticed her ears and the area in front of her ears were red.

The vet noticed them right off the bat. She said Persia is allergic to
*something* in the Methimazole tablets. It's making her "itchy". She has
another kitty patient with the same problem, but that cat is able to take
the gel in the ear without any adverse reactions.

Knowing I was going back to work, I had started gradually moving "pill time"
to later in the day. This way I could give them to her when I got home from
work. I knew it wasn't going to be a sure thing I could pill her before I
had to leave in the morning. (She figured out those Pill Pockets are highly
suspect the third day I gave them to her!) The vet said that was fine. So
no, she hadn't had her pills today. The vet said not to give her the pills
today. She doesn't want to try the gel form, either. Her words, "I don't
want to load you up with stuff you might not be able to use." (I really
like her!) She's going to do some research to see what other options are
available and we'll go from there.

Oh, and Persia has gained a little weight but not enough. So she can still
eat whatever junk cat food she wants! She loves the Friskies (wet and dry).
I picked up some 9-Lives canned food. I'm not sure if it's just the novelty
or if she likes 9-Lives better than the Friskies, but she sure chowed down
on the 9-Lives this morning! (I'm still mixing them in with her R/x food.)
What's important is that she eats. And I know we'll find the right
medication for her hyperthyroidism.

Jill

Old March 11th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 9:37 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

I'm so glad Persia seems to be on the mend now. I know nada about
thyroid
problems as I did not do "nuke" xray tests and my experience with
patients
with that were only pre-op chest xrays for them. I will say that in
hoomins,
unlike the pancreas or adrenals (sneaky organs) the thyroid is an in-
your-face,
easy to understand and treat (options limited but effective, as even
cancer of
it tends to stay right there and not invade other areas) and unlike
the heart
does not suddenly do you in where you fall on the floor dead. Bad
metaphor
I guess, but knowing little about cat thyroid problems, I trust and
hope there
are multiple meds to racket down Persia's hyper one. Thank you for
her update.

***

Lindy (RB) survived quite happily for several years on thyroid medication.
She'd probably still be around if she hadn't gotten cancer.

Joy

Old March 12th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

On 3/11/2010 11:37 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Weebs is doing his happy dance that His Precious Persia is feeling
better! He says his (rather rotund) baby sisfur Mimi said that "to gayn
wayt, wone must eet - lots"...

Purrs for continued good health!

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old March 13th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:37:45 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

I'm glad to hear that Persia is responding to the Tapazole, and her labs
are improving.

About 10% of cats are unable to tolerate Tapezole, so its a relief that
Persia is in the 90%.

I'm sure you will get the administration of her medication worked out.

The important thing is that Persia is getting better, and gaining
weight!

I went through this same thing last March, so I know how stress filled
all of this is!

Sending purrs for an easy medication administration method to be worked
out for Persia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100312-0, 03/12/2010
Tested on: 3/12/2010 6:11:25 PM

Old March 13th 10, 01:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure what you mean. She's been on Methimazole tablets. Is that the
same thing as Tapezole or are you suggesting an alternative for her
hyperthyroid therapy? Persia is apparently allergic to *something* in the
Methimazole tablets. I came home from work yesterday expecting a message
from the vet. She was going to do some research and call me back about
alternative medications.

Someone at work asked me if surgery is an option. It is. I have to weigh
the pros and cons between medicating her for the rest of her life (be it via
pills or the transdermal gel) vs. the cost/benefits of surgery. I sure hate
to put her through much more, but I'll do whatever it takes to get my baby
well. She's not all that old. Frankly, I have no idea how old she is.
Can't be more than 12, by my calculations.

Meanwhile, she's acting like her normal self again. Basking in the
sunshine. Not running around like a mad-cat (which I mistakenly thought was
renewed exhuberance at the change from my dark apartment). She's eating
well and gaining weight. Funny to think she was on a "diet" not all that
long ago because she weighed 16 lbs. LOL It's been years (literally) since
I was able to free-feed her, and feed her anything she wants. She's eating
it up! (so to speak)

She's currently stretched out in a patch of sunshine, soaking up some rays.
She's a happy cat, even when I do have to give her pills.

Jill

Old March 14th 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"hopitus" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

LONG but sincere
Persia will always be a special girl AFAIC. I hate to lay this on you
but 12-ish is
considered *old* for a cat. I never got an intelligent guess from the
shelter re true
age of Snag (who still attacks shoestrings) it varied from 2 yrs to
10. Their vet
who fixed his dental problems guessed at 10, last official word on his
age. For
that reason alone, discounting stress/trauma to Persia, I would go
with non-surgical
med regimen and see how that works.
When hoomins have thyroid malfunctions they don't just yank out the
thyroid or kill
it via nuking it. Thyroid meds I know little about except I know
friends who have taken
the meds for years (most are taking meds for *hypo* (opposite of
Persia's problem)
but the dangerous kind for hoomins is the kind she has (*hyPER*) which
is where
the organ is overworking and "running on empty" so to speak. One of
the hoomin
symptoms of overactivity of thyroid is *weight loss*, which I think
you said Persia had.
Tapazole is one of the hyperthyroid meds (there are lots more)
available for treatment
regimens. My knowledge of meds for it are far less than my knowledge
of the organ
itself.
The above is not intended to be the last word on anything as I am
neither vet nor doc
but meant to reassure you that Persia's "back to kittenhood"
activities could have been
and were easily mistaken for normal cat playfulness instead of thyroid
overactivity, a
medical problem easily dealt with these days. As I said before,
thyroid is not a sneaky
organ hiding possibly deadly possibilities at its disposal, like some
of our other vital
organs....it shows its malfunctions long before they have a chance to
do us in, LOL.
As a personal note, one of the remedies for *my* major med problem
(CAD) *is* surgery.
Multiple cardiac bypass, which I have already nixed *twice* and opted
for cath lab stent
placements, taking meds for arteries for probably rest of lifetime.
They work so far and
yes, this has nada to do with thyroids (my thyroid is fine, thanks)
but don't let anyone
sway you to surgery unless vitally necessary, which sometimes it is.

Yeah yeah. No one is trying to sway me towards surgery. We're just trying
to adjust her meds. And I completely undersand her hyperthyroidism. I've
read up on it extensively and the vet is very thorough in explaining things
to me. So thanks, but I'm not jumping into anything. I just want her to
feel better. She seems to be doing okay for now. We just need to find what
meds she's not allergic to. I'll go from there.

Jill

Persia Update 2/24/2010 jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 13 March 7th 10 03:23 AM
Persia Update 2/23/2010 jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 23 February 25th 10 12:41 AM
Persia Update jmcquown Cat anecdotes 3 June 27th 04 09:33 PM
Update on Persia :) jmcquown Cat anecdotes 34 April 14th 04 10:20 PM