our cat keeps scratching

Old March 23rd 04, 10:22 PM
Corey

Default our cat keeps scratching

My wife and I need some advice on what is going on with one of our two cats.

For some reason she keeps scratching her neck and face. We cut her nails
every two weeks and I used a flea comb on her last night which came up
negative to everything but little white hairs.

The problem is that she continually has scabs around her neck and she has
gotten something with her eye causing it to redden slightly on the eyelids
and causing the area to swell. It doesn't cause her any pain, but it's hard
to tell since she starts purring if you get close to her.

There is another cat involved. They get along most of the time (mainly at
night when they have to sleep together when the heat is off), but they do
have theeir moments so we can't really rule out that it isn't the other cat
behind the small scabs. But then there is the scratching...

We have insurance and any ideas at all will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old March 23rd 04, 11:02 PM
Karen

"Corey" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like allergies to me. Try vacuuming and dusting EVERY day for a
while. If you own an air purifier run it. If things improve, it could be
inhalent allergies. (If so, vacumming and a good air purifier do wonders to
keep the twitchies down.) If not, try food elimination. Your vet has
special foods with the protein completely broken down. You have to feed it
for about 8 weeks to see a difference. If it improves then you add different
foods back in until the behaviour recurs, then you know which foods are the
culprits. If the scabs are too bad, you must see a vet, who will put the cat
on antibiotics to keep out secondary infections. They might also try depo
shots, as that helps allergies, but I would not want to try that unless I
knew I coudln't control it through environment or food.

Karen

Old March 24th 04, 12:03 AM
Cheryl

"Karen" dumped this in
on 23 Mar 2004:

snip
If it improves then you add different
foods back in until the behaviour recurs, then you know which foods
are the culprits. If the scabs are too bad, you must see a vet, who
will put the cat on antibiotics to keep out secondary infections. They
might also try depo shots, as that helps allergies, but I would not
want to try that unless I knew I coudln't control it through
environment or food.

A week or so ago I posted that Shamrock was starting to get lesions again
after 2 months on antihistamines, EFA vitamin pills, and a depo shot. I
don't like to bring him in for another shot unless it gets really bad
because he just gets so many of them. I almost discontinued the
antihistamines thinking they weren't doing any good, but one thing that I
did a week or so before the lesions showed up was give him a food with
fish. I suspected fish in the past but he'd been doing so good, and he
loves fish cat food. Instead, I'm back to keeping fish out of his diet
and surprisingly the lesions are going away, with a little help from a
topical steroid spray. They never go away without a depo shot, ever in
his history. I now think the antihistamines are working, but not to the
point of making an allergen a non-allergen. No more fish for Shamrock,
ever. Poor boy.

--
Cheryl