Surgery -- megacolon

Old July 8th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Default Surgery -- megacolon

Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
soon as we can find a surgeon.

Our regular vet says it looks like she has an old injury, a broken
pelvis, or a congenital problem that makes her pelvic area much smaller
than it should be.

For whatever reason, things have moved through for the last 11 years but
now she is completely blocked and nothing has helped significantly. She
is no longer even trying to eat.

Anyone had a cat with colon surgery? How about a surgery to increase the
size of the pelvic area?

Scared about this one...

Rhonda

Old July 8th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mike

Hi Rhonda:

I don't have any experience with this kind of surgery but I wanted to wish
you and your cat luck. Have you discussed the risks and complications of
this surgery with your vet? What is he/she saying?

Mike

Old July 8th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Okay, looks like our cat may have emergency surgery for mega colon as
soon as we can find a surgeon.

Our regular vet says it looks like she has an old injury, a broken
pelvis, or a congenital problem that makes her pelvic area much smaller
than it should be.

For whatever reason, things have moved through for the last 11 years but
now she is completely blocked and nothing has helped significantly. She
is no longer even trying to eat.

Anyone had a cat with colon surgery? How about a surgery to increase the
size of the pelvic area?

Scared about this one...

Rhonda

Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Old July 8th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the luck. She is still spirited but I think she's going to
need some luck.

We haven't had a surgery consult yet -- just talked with our regular vet
(who has left a message to a surgeon.) She's done the surgery only once
with a cat so wants someone more experienced for this one.

Possible complications -- the biggest is infection from opening the
bowel. Another might be that this could happen again even after surgery.

The vet didn't know about surgery to widen the pelvis, so I want to ask
that of the surgeon.

If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are
trying to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just
a tiny bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot
because she is totally blocked.

Thanks for the interest,

Rhonda

Old July 8th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

cybercat wrote:

Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Thank you. She is the sweetest and most shy of all our cats. Just breaks
my heart she has to go through this. She was at the vet's all day all
week, then we'd bring her home at night.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes,

Rhonda

Old July 8th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
If she doesn't have any surgery, she probably won't make it. We are
trying to keep flushing the toxins out of her system. She is eating just
a tiny bit because she feels so full, but we don't want her to eat a lot
because she is totally blocked.

Didn't your vet consider lactulose and a low residue diet- or even milk? A
higher dose of lactulose (3-4 ml, b.i.d.) and/or milk should produce very
soft stools bordering on diarrhea- just the effect you want in a constipated
cat. A low residue diet should produce small stools. The combination of
soft, small stools should make defecation possible since the stools will be
soft enough to conform to the opening and squeeze through. Kitten food
might even be better than a low residue diet since its nutrient-dense and
provides more nutrition in a smaller volume and also produces small stools.

Never ever use cisapride in a cat if constipation is caused by an
obstruction.

Old July 8th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Please keep us posted, Rhonda. I pray all goes well for her. There is this
site http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/megacolon.htm and many others on
google about the procedure.
Gail

Old July 8th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Here is another good site, Rhonda
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...s&ct=clnk&cd=4
Gail

Old July 8th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Candace

cybercat wrote:

Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this.
I have nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Me, too, Rohonda, I will be thinking about her and you. I hope the
surgeon responds quickly.

Candace

Old July 8th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ann

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:42:50 +0000, Rhonda wrote:
cybercat wrote:

Oh, Rhonda, I'm so sorry she--and you--have to go through this. I have
nothing useful to offer, but I will keep you and kitty in my prayers.

Thank you. She is the sweetest and most shy of all our cats. Just breaks
my heart she has to go through this. She was at the vet's all day all
week, then we'd bring her home at night.

Anyway, thanks for the good wishes,

I suggest locating and looking at the website of the nearest college of
veterinary medicine. They usually have associated small animal hospitals.
It may be too far to take your cat, but imo there is a good chance you
could find someone there who would discuss the case in general and suggest
a closer veterinary surgeon

I've done a quick Google, and it appears that medical treatment of mega
colon does "run out". Otoh, surgery (by an experienced surgeon) is
usually successful. In my experience, family veterinarians do sometimes
hesitate to recommend a surgical option. There is a risk ... and they
probably have heard "You said he'd be ok." too many times. But, you
are the one who knows your cat best and it is your choice to make.