Buying Amoxicillin

Old December 9th 03, 05:29 PM
Caliban

Default Buying Amoxicillin

Is it illegal everywhere in the U.S. to sell amoxicillin (for one's cat) without
a prescription?

I need some for my cat. The vets I called so far say he must be examined (for
around $40) and then they'll write a prescription. But the reality is, my cat
does not let himself be examined at a vet's, despite Acing. We hold him down
with a mighty effort to get him his vaccinations, and that is it.

He has a small puncture wound on his rump, probably a bite, because I stupidly
let him go outside. I am cleaning it several times a day with hydrogen peroxide
and commercial saline "Wound Wash," but I don't feel it's going deep enough to
thoroughly irrigate the wound. On the other hand, the cat is better today than
yesterday; walking around and mewing a lot more, the way he usually does. He's
still not leaping (onto the bed,chairs, and counters) the way he normally does,
though.

Any studies of whether amoxicillin does make a difference?

Old December 9th 03, 09:34 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Caliban" wrote in message
k.net...
Is it illegal everywhere in the U.S. to sell amoxicillin (for one's cat)

without
a prescription?

AFAIK, it would be, since it's a prescription drug. If he has an infection
from the wound, he really should get the antibiotic (Amoxicillin).

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old December 10th 03, 03:34 AM
Dennis Carr

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 17:29:39 +0000, Caliban wrote:

Is it illegal everywhere in the U.S. to sell amoxicillin (for one's cat)
without a prescription?

Yes. Same with any antibiotic except ointments such as Neosporin.

I need some for my cat. The vets I called so far say he must be examined
(for around $40) and then they'll write a prescription. But the reality
is, my cat does not let himself be examined at a vet's, despite Acing.
We hold him down with a mighty effort to get him his vaccinations, and
that is it.

OK. Consider this - if this is left untreated and it gets better, then
you're fairly lucky. But if this is left untreated and it gets worse,
then it can lead to blood poisoning. In a cat - nay, anyone - that can
ultimately prove fatal.

Especially given a puncture wound, you really should get to the vet. I
understand the affordability problem for one, but is the pain of loss
really worth any amount of money?

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 10th 03, 04:01 PM
Barb

The way I see $40 is that this is a once thing which you can pay yourself
back $1 a day in a little more than a month. Some vet visits are a lot more
expensive.

--
Barb
I can only please one person a day.

Old December 11th 03, 04:03 PM
Caliban

"Barb" wrote
The way I see $40 is that this is a once thing which you can pay yourself
back $1 a day in a little more than a month. Some vet visits are a lot more
expensive.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

For the last two days I have been irrigating my cat's wound with hydrogen
peroxide and "Wound Wash" (from Walgreen's, a sterilized saline solution) about
every hour during all my waking hours. Yesterday I began applying a little
Neosporin. The wound looks a lot better. I am trying to keep it moist with the
Neosporin so it'll stay open and drain properly (though it's not very deep, no
longer looks prone to infection, and is not discharging) awhile longer. Also, I
know the Neosporin has some anti-biotic in it. I realize the efficacy of
Neosporin as any sort of anti-biotic is doubtful. Still.

Kitty of course laps up whatever I apply to the wound as soon as I turn my back.
Nevertheless, this course of treatment seems to be working. Yesterday, kitty (or
his flesh) seemed less sensitive to my probing around the wound. He started
becoming less lethargic, leaping carefully to low chair height and meowing (as
is his normal custom). This morning he returned to leaping onto my bed,
awakening me at dawn, and telling me he would like his breakfast now. Today he's
leaping to desk height (with some trepidation) and is romping around a bit more.