Pregnant Stray, Help

Old December 6th 03, 11:53 AM
Wendy

I just discussed early neutering with my vet the other day. He has concerns
that it can leave the cat more vulnerable to urinary tract problems
particularly with the male cats. He recommended we wait till Boots is 7
months old to get him altered (6 months for girls).

"Mary" wrote in message
I am afraid if I take her to the shelter they will put her and the
kittens down, or maybe abort the kitttens.

Recommendations?

You could get her spayed now, even though she is pregnant. Then you can find
her a good home. You could put her up in a cat hotel until you find her a
good
home. You could also try to find a no-kill shelter, cat hotel or someone to
foster her until her kittens are born and weaned. Then you could help adopt
all
of those cats. Make sure you get them spayed/neutered before adopting them
out.
Some places do spay/neuter for $20 each if they're young. You could also
offer
a friend boarding fees to foster her until you find her a good home. Thanks
for
caring for her enough to do something.

Old December 6th 03, 03:48 PM
Orchid

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 06:53:29 -0500, "Wendy" wrote:

I just discussed early neutering with my vet the other day. He has concerns
that it can leave the cat more vulnerable to urinary tract problems
particularly with the male cats. He recommended we wait till Boots is 7
months old to get him altered (6 months for girls).

My boys were neutered at 5 months -- I wanted to do it eariler
but one of them came down with a URI and neither I nor my vet does
non-emergency surgery on an animal that isn't healthy. Early Age
Neutering has been done for twenty years or so, and has not been shown
to increase the risk of urinary problems or bone breakage. The only
effect that has been shown to happen consistently is that the gormwth
plates close later, and so early-age neutered cats tend to be taller
than traditionally aged neutered cats.

Some links on EAN that you may wish to show your vet:

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/repo...ly-neuter.html
http://www.exoticbengals.com/spay.htm
http://www.netcat.org/symposium/early-neuter-spay.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body..._male_cat.html

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old December 8th 03, 09:27 PM
Sharon Talbert

I just discussed early neutering with my vet the other day. He has concerns
that it can leave the cat more vulnerable to urinary tract problems
particularly with the male cats. He recommended we wait till Boots is 7
months old to get him altered (6 months for girls).

Change vets. Shelters have been practicing "early" sterilization for a
couple of decades now, with follow-up reasearch to indicate no harm
whatsoever done. Waiting until 6 months to spay a female is just asking
for a first litter and pretty much guarantees an unnecessary estrus.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Old December 10th 03, 01:13 PM
Wendy

"Sharon Talbert" wrote in message
ashington.edu...

I just discussed early neutering with my vet the other day. He has

concerns
that it can leave the cat more vulnerable to urinary tract problems
particularly with the male cats. He recommended we wait till Boots is 7
months old to get him altered (6 months for girls).

Change vets. Shelters have been practicing "early" sterilization for a
couple of decades now, with follow-up reasearch to indicate no harm
whatsoever done. Waiting until 6 months to spay a female is just asking
for a first litter and pretty much guarantees an unnecessary estrus.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats

Do you really think someone should change vets over this issue? He knew
Boots was an inside cat when he made the recommendation.

Old December 11th 03, 02:18 AM
Annie Wxill

"Wendy" wrote in message

.... Do you really think someone should change vets over this issue? He knew
Boots was an inside cat when he made the recommendation.

Hi Wendy,
I agree with Sharon that the O.P. should change vets. If the vet is so far
behind the times in knowledge of spay/neuter, who knows where else he's not
up to date. Some day his lack of current knowledge could mean a life or
death decision in the treatment of a disease or condition of the cat.
Annie