Just got the bad news: Feline Leukemia

Old December 12th 03, 04:31 AM
Chris

Do you have other cats? If not, go for it--Oscar sounds like a great cat &
why deal with life & death decisions unless he is suffering. If you do have
other cats (or are thinking about getting), I would think they could get
immunized but someone in the group would be more knowlegeable about that
than I. Vets sometimes can present gloomy picture as they don't want
people to have unrealistic expectations but with good care--Oscar may
surprise you!
"ed farr" wrote in message
om...
My wife talked to the vet today about Oscar. Oscar has feline
leaukemia. He basically told us we had to make the decision on his
future. We are at wits end what to do. We want what is best for the
cat. Should we have further tests? Should we just care for him and
see how his health progresses? We are very confused about what to do
next. You people have been great. I did not realise how caring the
cat community was.
Thank you for your concern.

Ed
and Maritza

Old December 12th 03, 04:36 AM
Cheryl

Chris wrote in hlink.net
on 11 Dec 2003:

Vets sometimes can present gloomy picture as they don't want
people to have unrealistic expectations

It's funny you say that because with Shadow, I'm the one thinking doom and
gloom, and his vet tells me that cats who are FeLV+ can live a healthy life
for a while with it.

--
Cheryl

"I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I
can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do."
- Helen Keller

Worldwide Candle Lighting in Memory of all Children, Dec 14, 2003 7pm in
all time zones
http://thecompassionatefriends.org/2...L/2003_wcl.htm
http://thecompassionatefriends.org/2003_WWCL/senres.htm

-this in memory of my Eric-

Old December 12th 03, 05:38 AM
Cat Protector

I don't think immunizing will do much good although on the other side of the
coin a cat that has gotten the shot has a better chance of fighting the
disease but the shots are not 100% effective as there is no cure for the
illness. Pretty much a double standard so if you have healthy cats it is a
good idea not to have one with FELV amongst them as the others can get the
illness. If Oscar is the only cat and his humans want to get another then
they'll have to make sure that cat also has FELV. Besides with the proper
treatment an FELV positive cat can live a long life.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"Chris" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Do you have other cats? If not, go for it--Oscar sounds like a great cat

&