Where do you get your L-Lysine?

Old December 11th 03, 09:25 AM
Meghan

Default Where do you get your L-Lysine?

Hi,

I have a beautiful little 15-month old cat (Bailey) who was diagnosed by my
vet with Feline Herpes at age 6 months. He already had it when he came to
us from the shelter. His main symptom is his eyes - constantly flaring up,
the lids getting red and he is always squinting. I can count on one hand
the number of days in his life when his eyes were normal.

He has been on many eye ointments - terramycin and most recently
neobacymix - but they only treat the secondary infections. My vet has
recommended L-lysine to supress the virus, but all I have been able to find
is the (human size) pill form. I know other forms exist (powdered, liquid?)
but I cannot find them.

Does anyone use L-lysine and if so where do you get it and how is it working
for you?

Thanks,
Meghan

Old December 11th 03, 01:26 PM
Jon C

I buy L-lysine tablets at Wal Mart. They're not caplets, and could easily
be crushed and mixed into food or treats.
link.net...

Old December 11th 03, 01:26 PM
PawsForThought

From: "Meghan"

I have a beautiful little 15-month old cat (Bailey) who was diagnosed by my
vet with Feline Herpes at age 6 months. He already had it when he came to
us from the shelter. His main symptom is his eyes - constantly flaring up,
the lids getting red and he is always squinting. I can count on one hand
the number of days in his life when his eyes were normal.

He has been on many eye ointments - terramycin and most recently
neobacymix - but they only treat the secondary infections. My vet has
recommended L-lysine to supress the virus, but all I have been able to find
is the (human size) pill form. I know other forms exist (powdered, liquid?)
but I cannot find them.

Does anyone use L-lysine and if so where do you get it and how is it working
for you?

Hi Meghan,
You could get it at a health food store in powdered form that is in capsules.
What you can do is figure it out comparatively. For instance, a 150 pound
human adult would take 1,000 mg dose. So in proportion, you would give a 10
pound cat 150 mg. L-lysine is rather bitter tasting but I know some people mix
it right in with the cat food with no problem. I personally have never had a
cat with herpes, but I do know of people who do and they say L-lysine
definitely helps.

Best wishes for your kitty,
Lauren

________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe
Old December 11th 03, 01:26 PM
PawsForThought

Old December 11th 03, 02:30 PM

Lauren wrote:
So in proportion, you would give a 10
pound cat 150 mg.

This is incorrect. The dosage for cats is 250 - 500 mg twice a day to
help keep the herpes virus in check.

To the OP:
Lysine comes in a 500 mg capsule version, but I found I had to call
around to a few stores before I found one that carried it in capsule
form. It probably wouldn't be difficult to find an online source.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old December 11th 03, 02:35 PM
Mary

"Meghan" wrote in message
link.net...

Does anyone use L-lysine and if so where do you get it and how is it

working
for you?

Thanks,
Meghan

I don't know where you are, but this place has it for about $10 a
pound, and that is a LOT of Lysine.

http://www.1fast400.com/?products_id=37

A simple Google search will turn up other online sources.