Apology and and Explanation

Old December 26th 04, 11:46 PM
CatNipped

Default Apology and and Explanation

I'm really sorry for the political rant and any arguments I may have started
on this group. I really wish I could go back a day and *not* send the
things I did.

OK, I over-reacted, but I would like to try to explain why.

It is really hard to sit back and listen to "America bashing" to the point
that it is saturating the world media and has become so "normal" that nobody
even raises an eyebrow at some of the lies and allegations made.

This is why I reacted as I did...

You must realize, when you call Americans dumb, stupid, evil, cruel,
backwards, war-mongers, etc., etc., etc. you are talking about my husband
(who once made me stop the car so he could gently remove a lizard from the
windshield and let him go in a field of grass); you are talking about my
brothers, one who risked his life fighting in another country to secure the
freedom of strangers - the other who risked his life every day for over
thirty years as a cop protecting his fellow citizens; you are talking about
my children who grew up cherishing the different cultures, religions, skin
colors, and genders of this "melting pot" of a country; you are talking
about my mother who lived through the great depression and still found the
generosity to help her neighbors who had even less than she did; you are
talking about my friends and neighbors and countrymen who died for our
cherished freedom and the freedom of others.

If I slung slurs at you about your friends, family, and fellow countrymen I
would fully expect you to take umbrage as well.

Anyway, I truly am sorry if I over-reacted and started anything that might
harm this group or the people on it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 27th 04, 12:04 AM
Jo Firey

It might make to feel better if you realized that the same was the press
misrepresents local news, it misrepresents world news. They cover what
makes them a living. And a good many people know that. I suspect even if I
do not have proof, that many people around the world like Americans as
individuals just fine. The same way we are misrepresented in their news,
they are misrepresented in ours. Protests make news, even when there aren't
many protesting. Comfortable, happy, relaxed people don't make news. And
things that happen in places that are difficult for news crews to reach
don't much make the news either.

So don't hold your breath waiting for a headline that the French just love
the US or that the US just loves France. But don't forget that we spend
quite a lot of time and money visiting each other and enjoying each others
culture. (Just one example)

Jo

Old December 27th 04, 12:47 AM
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Let's just put it away then, and agree you can rant all you like, but that
we are all friends on here. How does that sound?

Tweed ---- hates conflict

Old December 27th 04, 12:52 AM
CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

Let's just put it away then, and agree you can rant all you like, but that
we are all friends on here. How does that sound?

Tweed ---- hates conflict

Sounds like a plan to me - thanks Tweed.

Hugs,

CatNipped ---- actually, also hates conflict

Old December 27th 04, 06:32 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

I'm really sorry for the political rant and any arguments I may have started
on this group. I really wish I could go back a day and *not* send the
things I did.

OK, I over-reacted, but I would like to try to explain why.

It is really hard to sit back and listen to "America bashing" to the point
that it is saturating the world media and has become so "normal" that nobody
even raises an eyebrow at some of the lies and allegations made.

What makes you so sure they are "lies"??????

Old December 27th 04, 01:14 PM
Sheenah

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

CatNipped wrote:

I'm really sorry for the political rant and any arguments I may

have started
on this group. I really wish I could go back a day and *not* send

the
things I did.

OK, I over-reacted, but I would like to try to explain why.

It is really hard to sit back and listen to "America bashing" to

the point
that it is saturating the world media and has become so "normal"

that nobody
even raises an eyebrow at some of the lies and allegations made.

What makes you so sure they are "lies"??????

Evelyn,

I used to be afraid to speak my mind. These days, I rarely am :^)
Therefore, I'll share my view that folk who are not directly involved
in issues that come into the public domain have no real knowledge of
whether or not what is being said is the whole truth and nothing but
the truth, "spin", or a pack of lies. Therefore all they can do is
engage in speculation (I think that's the right word). In other words,
on such issues,all they can do is express opinions. What I've said
has brought back memories of some of the major cover-ups and hoaxes
that have been reported either nationally or internationally on TV, in
the press and on the radio, and even via movies. Only as time passes,
may the truth behind the stories we hear about be revealed.

Best regards

Sheenah

Old December 27th 04, 04:55 PM
TBird

Skidding in a day late and a dollar short....

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

I just read your post - it was clearly labeled off topic and political.

And ya know what - it's nothing new or different either. I've been reading
the same sentiments all over Usenet and LiveJournal.

Bashing is bashing, whether it be political, artistic, racial, religious,
animal related, whatever. Blanket statements are rarely educational,
informative or helpful. Yet for some reason, they seem to be acceptable when
it comes to politics.

It's not helpful to anyone to put forth the opinion as fact that, oh, let's
make one up, "Cat carriers made of plastic and wire are cruel to animals and
people who use them are mean and should not be allowed to have pets!"
Discussion is good, sharing experience is good - as long as people don't
lose sight of the fact that what works for you may not work for me, what
doesn't work for you might work for me. Personally, putting a twenty pound
Maine Coon in a soft carrier would not work for me.

I don't think you need to apologize or explain. You were among friends, you
stated up front your intentions, and you stood up for yourself. That's all.

TBird ---- who knows Usenet can't ALWAYS be on topic when humans share the
space....

Old December 27th 04, 09:03 PM
Yowie

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

There! That proves it! There *is* a mothership, and its all just a big
coverup! :-)

Yowie

---

Old January 2nd 05, 03:43 PM
Lucy's Mom

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:32:29 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

I'm really sorry for the political rant and any arguments I may have started
on this group. I really wish I could go back a day and *not* send the
things I did.

OK, I over-reacted, but I would like to try to explain why.

It is really hard to sit back and listen to "America bashing" to the point
that it is saturating the world media and has become so "normal" that nobody
even raises an eyebrow at some of the lies and allegations made.

What makes you so sure they are "lies"??????

What makes YOU so sure they aren't????????