Shelters

Old June 7th 05, 05:05 PM
Mary

"Philip" wrote in message
.net...
Steve G wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:
(...)

42.5 percent of pets that entered animal shelters were submitted by
animal control authorities and nearly
30 percent were surrendered by their owners.
The remainder were relinquished by other sources.
The Humane Society of the United States

Well, I think the point others are getting at elswhere in this thread
is: if you think about the statistics you posted, you'll see that
probably far more than 14% of cats had an animal shelter involved in
their adoption somewhere along the way.

48% of people get their pets as strays or from friends or 'animal
rescuers'. Well, 'animal rescuers' is not defined (in your post) and
could well include shelters - depends on the definition of 'animal
rescuers'. E.g., are private shelters 'animal rescuers', do the animal
rescuers get the cats the rescue from 'official' shelters, and so on.

Also, 38% get their cats from breeders or pet stores. Well, many
(most?) pet store cats are, in fact, placements from animal shelters.
Again, you do not say from where these pet store animals were sourced.

You also do not say how the HS derived its stats - might consider
giving a link to where you found the stats...

So, at the moment all I think I can say, based on your post, is that
between 14% and 100% of cats are adopted from shelters...!

Steve.

Barry sourced his stats from "The Humane Society of the United States."
You Steve, did not source your stats for us.

His source is that he can do basic mathematics, you idiot. LOL!

Old June 7th 05, 06:08 PM
Steve G

Philip wrote:
(...)

Barry sourced his stats from "The Humane Society of the United States."
You Steve, did not source your stats for us.

Well, "The humans society of the united states" is a pretty vague
citation - URL? paper publication? Or what?

And regarding your reply, I'm afraid that Mary did indeed smack the
'ammer on its 'ead. But let me help you out with an easier to
understand example, from the department of cheesy comestibles:

Only 16% of people like Brie cheese.
48% of people like soup, onions or cheese.
36% of people like snack items or chocolate.

Q: How many people like Brie?
A: We don't know because the other two statistics may include Brie
cheese enjoyment as a not-explicitly-stated subset. Brie is cheese (so
it could be included as part of the 48% value) and Brie might be
thought of as a snack item (so it could be a component of the 36%
value).

So with cheese, thus with cats. It is the Kraft, and is Gouda know.

S.

Old June 7th 05, 06:21 PM
bigbadbarry

Steve G wrote:

So with cheese, thus with cats. It is the Kraft, and is Gouda know.

S.

Well, I honestly did not masticate your logic; your probably correct.

but in spirit of my post, I think it is safe to say, shelters (not
animal rescue groups), have an enormous task on thier hands.

I just read...

Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. - and each day 70,000
puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there
will never be enough homes for all the animals. Source: Spay USA

'Purebreds' account for 30% of all the animals in shelters. Source:
Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science

Most of you probably already have an idea of these numbers but it helps
me to retain something by writing it. or cut and pasting it...lol

Old June 7th 05, 06:25 PM
bigbadbarry

bigbadbarry wrote:

Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. - and each day 70,000
puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist, there
will never be enough homes for all the animals. Source: Spay USA

My goodness I just had a revelation, the problem is not pet population
but human population. We need more people.

Make Love Not War

Barry

Old June 7th 05, 06:33 PM
bigbadbarry

Steve G wrote:
Philip wrote:
(...)

Barry sourced his stats from "The Humane Society of the United States."
You Steve, did not source your stats for us.

Well, "The humans society of the united states" is a pretty vague
citation - URL? paper publication? Or what?

Do your own homework, Im not asking these content providers for links
to where they got their info. Look it up yourself!

If I had time, I might just go and chew your numbers up, and catch you
in guile too, just like Philip.

How does 14% of anything, mean anything less than 14%????

Oh it can mean something else if you re-define or change course or add
to or take away from my post. HELL if anything get on the confounded
wagon and look the stuff up yourself...stop sitting there scrutanizing
my efforts and do soemthing yourself...

John Milton: Don't get too cocky my boy. No matter how good you are...

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+To+Get+A+Life

Old June 7th 05, 06:52 PM
bigbadbarry

bigbadbarry wrote:
If I had time, I might just go and chew your numbers up, and catch you

in guile too, just like Philip.

Sorry Philip, I mean Phil P - Let's just use the name "Backed Up" for
him from now on.

How does 14% of anything, mean anything less than 14%???? or more than 14%

Im confrused

Old June 7th 05, 06:59 PM
Steve G

bigbadbarry wrote:
(...)

Do your own homework, Im not asking these content providers for links
to where they got their info. Look it up yourself!

Er, it would have taken you less time to simply give your source rather
than post a paragraph saying you won't give your source.

If I had time, I might just go and chew your numbers up, and catch you
in guile too, just like Philip.

Make your mind up. In your post of about 10 mins ago, you said that I
might be correct.

And please, chew all you want, but:

"Dumb dumb. so sweet so young.
You're not supposed to swallow your bubble gum."

How does 14% of anything, mean anything less than 14%????

See previous post. This is not rocket science. But it is science.

Oh it can mean something else if you re-define or change course or add
to or take away from my post. HELL if anything get on the confounded
wagon and look the stuff up yourself...stop sitting there scrutanizing
my efforts and do soemthing yourself...

What's the something you would like me to do? And what's the something
you are supposed to be doing? I suppose I could post some random lists
of dubious, uncited statistics, and then I would have the same 'value'
as you, eh?

John Milton: Don't get too cocky my boy. No matter how good you are...

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+To+Get+A+Life

God's teeth, why will you not just post your source already? Bizarre.

S.

Old June 7th 05, 07:01 PM
bigbadbarry

Steve G wrote:

So with cheese, thus with cats. It is the Kraft, and is Gouda know.

S.

cute!

I think you are adding to and redefining the spirit of my post.

However, I reposted some stats and the source, maybe this is what you
was looking for.

Old June 7th 05, 07:36 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:

Each day 10,000 humans are born in the U.S. - and each day 70,000
puppies and kittens are born. As long as these birth rates exist,
there will never be enough homes for all the animals. Source: Spay
USA

My goodness I just had a revelation, the problem is not pet population
but human population. We need more people.

Make Love Not War

Barry

Barry ... that is EXACTLY what Social Security implies ... otherwise "We"
must import more legal, tax paying immigrants. The third alternative is to
reduce benefit or delay the age of eligibility.

Old June 7th 05, 07:36 PM
Philip

bigbadbarry wrote:
bigbadbarry wrote:
If I had time, I might just go and chew your numbers up, and catch
you

in guile too, just like Philip.

Sorry Philip, I mean Phil P - Let's just use the name "Backed Up" for
him from now on.

snip

So he's now he's "Phil Can't Go P" ?? Could be the title of a thread
about UTIs !
--

- Philip