Questions re rescued stray semi-feral cat

Old September 18th 03, 03:28 AM
Marek Williams

Default Questions re rescued stray semi-feral cat

About three months ago I noticed a blond tabby hanging around a house
down the street on the corner (five houses from me). He was in
terrible shape, badly matted hair, runny eyes, arthritic and skinny.
After a few days I happened by when the homeowner was outside (an
older widow lady), and she said that he had been around the
neighborhood for several years and was not her cat. She said she had
been giving him table scraps out of pity. She said she called him "Old
George." In later conversations with her neighbors the confirmed what
she said and expressed amazement that he was still alive.

A couple days later I had occasion to order some take-out fried
chicken. Thinking of Old George, I walked down the street and gave him
a couple of the bones. He approached me warily and finally grabbed one
of the bones out of my hand and ran off behind the lady's garage to
eat it. The lady was outside at the time and she said that he wouldn't
let anyone touch him. She said that he had hissed at her and scratched
her when she tried, and ditto for anyone else.

Over the next couple of months I became more and more involved in Old
George. I would bring a can of real cat food (supermarket canned food,
but the kind marked for seniors or for special diet). I would lay down
on the lawn next to him while he ate. I started by insisting on
holding the can while he ate, progressing to touching him, and so on.
Eventually I got to the point where he would let me comb him and cut
off some of the worst of his matted hair -- so dense and full of dirt
that there was no hope of getting a comb through it. The lady who
lived in the house encouraged this, as she did not want him, but was
hoping he would find a home. After a couple weeks of this she decided
she would stop leaving table scraps out for him, in hopes of making
him more dependent on me.

By this time the lady and all her neighbors were amazed that I had
gotten him to allow me to touch him. She said it was a miracle, but I
knew it was just the result of my patience and perseverance.

About ten days ago I went down there in the morning to give Old George
his breakfast. He seemed especially hungy (he had taken to running up
when he saw me). I had been worried about how to get him up to my
house. I decided that it was time. Instead of lying down and giving
him the cat food, I slowly started walking back to my house, calling
him and encouraging him to follow me. He did!

I fed him on the lawn at my house that morning. When we finished he
walked back down the street to the house on the corner. But I knew I
had made significant progress. Later that day I went down to find him,
and he was even more eager to follow me up to my house and get fed.

After a few days I got him to come to the back door to be fed. One day
I looked out in the morning and there he was, waiting for his
breakfast. But he still went back to the house on the corner after
getting his tummy full.

A few days later I was walking by the lady's house and she was
outside. She said she saw George the previous day and he seemed
hungry. She was worried that I had given up, so she walked up the
street to my house. She said that George had readily followed her. Not
only that, but she rang my bell and when I didn't answer she walked
around back. George followed her and walked right into the back porch
through the door that I had blocked open for him. She saw his food and
water dish and watched while he went over and started eating. She knew
then that he was well aware of where to get his meals.

That was a couple weeks ago. He is now living with me pretty much all
the time. He is starting to put some meat on his bones (such a skinny
little guy he was!). His runny eyes have cleared up. He walks around
normally instead of like an arthritic old man. The cut off matted fur
is filling in and he is starting to look like a real cat. However, I
have a couple questions that I am looking for opinions about.

First, I haven't taken him to the vet yet. I haven't even gotten to
the point where he would consider letting me pick him up. He likes
being petted and combed and loves to lay on the floor next to me as I
sit at the computer or am reading a book. In fact, if I get up to go
to the bathroom or the kitchen he follows closely after me. It's as if
he doesn't want to lose me. But one step at a time. I have never done
anything to hurt him and it has taken a long time to earn this level
of trust. Sure, I could trap him in a box and take him to the vet
against his will, but I feel we'd both be better off if I wait. He
seems reasonably healthy, so the vet visit can wait a bit longer. I
live alone and there are no other cats here, so no one is in any
imminent danger.

Here are my questions --

1) One of the things that sends him into ecstasy is if I stick my
little finger into his ears while petting him and rub around in there.
My finger comes out with brownish ear wax on it, but I suspect he has
ear mites. If I look at the ear wax with a magnifying glass, would
they be visible? If he has ear mites, what is a good treatment (over
the counter, preferably, since we're not yet ready for the vet visit)?

2) So far he has had constant access to the outside. The weather here
is still mild, so the door to the back porch has a 2 x 4 block keeping
it open just "cat-size." Similarly, the door from the porch to the
kitchen is blocked open for him. He seems to understand the idea of
living inside, but going outside to poop and pee. Until today there
has been no problem with this, but this evening I just discovered a
wet spot on the carpet in the living room. It is right in the walkway
through the living room and I know it was not there earlier today.
Curiously, it does not smell. Still, it is worrisome. Just now I took
a the lid to a large paper box and filled it with cat litter (bought a
couple days ago) and put it on the floor in the middle of the house.

I might add that he doesn't seem to have any problem with elimination,
except that he never covers it up. But after watching him a few times
and inspecting the results, it seems normal. I can't come up with
anything that would indicate a medical problem (e.g., urinary tract
infection). At this point my guess is that he just isn't fully
acclimated to living in a house, but opinions would be welcome. If he
can't at least use a litterbox reliably, then I'm afraid he's going to
have to be an outdoor kitty. (It's a safe neighborhood, at least.)
Still, I hope he can be an indoor-outdoor cat. My old cat always went
outside for bathroom activities and was a perfect gentleman about it.
I installed a cat flap for him which is still there, although I
haven't yet gotten to the point of teaching George how to use it. If
anyone has any suggestions about training an old cat about this, they
would be welcome.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
Old September 18th 03, 03:55 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Marek Williams at
wrote on 9/17/03 9:28 PM:

1) One of the things that sends him into ecstasy is if I stick my
little finger into his ears while petting him and rub around in there.
My finger comes out with brownish ear wax on it, but I suspect he has
ear mites. If I look at the ear wax with a magnifying glass, would
they be visible? If he has ear mites, what is a good treatment (over
the counter, preferably, since we're not yet ready for the vet visit)?

He most certainy has mites, I imagine. OTC stuff won't do anything, but you
could find out if a vet would give you some ivermective to take home and
give him. It is a one time deal, but living outside so much, it may be
something you need to do once in a while. I don't know if a vet will, but
you can ask. Some vets will make house calls, which then they could at least
see you *really* have a cat. If he *likes* your finger in your ear, you
could at least wrap gauze around your finger that is dampened with half
water and half vinegar and give him little ear washes. The mites thrive on
dirty ears. The cleaner he keeps them the better.

2) So far he has had constant access to the outside. The weather here
is still mild, so the door to the back porch has a 2 x 4 block keeping
it open just "cat-size." Similarly, the door from the porch to the
kitchen is blocked open for him. He seems to understand the idea of
living inside, but going outside to poop and pee. Until today there
has been no problem with this, but this evening I just discovered a
wet spot on the carpet in the living room. It is right in the walkway
through the living room and I know it was not there earlier today.
Curiously, it does not smell. Still, it is worrisome. Just now I took
a the lid to a large paper box and filled it with cat litter (bought a
couple days ago) and put it on the floor in the middle of the house.

Try a regular pan and mix the litter with dirt (which he is used to)
gradually filtering it all to cat litter. I think if YOU cover it up, he
might eventually realize what to do. You could even put one outside too, to
give him the idea more firmly.

YOu've done a great job and I know others will have more advice. I hope Old
George learns to like the indoors a lot. Poor old guy finally found a good
friend.

Karen

Old September 18th 03, 06:36 AM
LauraK

A couple days later I had occasion to order some take-out fried
chicken. Thinking of Old George, I walked down the street and gave him
a couple of the bones. He approached me warily and finally grabbed one
of the bones out of my hand and ran off behind the lady's garage to
eat it.

I'm glad you've won his trust, but please don't give him any more chicken
bones. They are very dangerous for cats and dogs because they can splinter when
they bite them and the splinter can perforate an intestine or their stomach.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Old September 18th 03, 01:57 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Marek Williams" wrote in message
About three months ago I noticed a blond tabby hanging around a house
down the street on the corner (five houses from me). He was in
terrible shape, badly matted hair, runny eyes, arthritic and skinny.

snip but way cool - congratulations for all you've done!

[...]

If your vet is like mine you'll get a small bottle of ear drops and a big
bottle of blue cleaning liquid (simple refered to as blue stuff.) No matter
what the vet says, use the blue stuff till most of the wax is gone then use
the ear drops. The mites are down under the wax and the ear drops don't
penetrate the wax so they can't kill the mites till the wax is gone. So you
might persuade your vet to sell you a bottle of blue stuff with out taking
Old George in.

If you have to take him in (and the pain of a vet visit is soon forgotten
but the joy of a healthy cat lasts forever) do not pick him up and man
handle him in a carrier (never mind how if affects the cat; he'll claw you
to death). Start serving dinner in the carrier till he gets used to going
in the thing. Then check the screws so you can quickly take the top off the
carrrier. When it's time to go to the vet put some newspaper and a small
amount of food in the carrier or slowley back him into a corner with the
carrier untill he has no where to go except to walk into the carrier on his
own. When you get to the vet just take the top off the carrier rather than
try to drag him out. If he pees in the carrier just throw the newspaper away
(that's why you didn't use a towel).

2) So far he has had constant access to the outside. The weather here
is still mild, so the door to the back porch has a 2 x 4 block keeping
it open just "cat-size." Similarly, the door from the porch to the
kitchen is blocked open for him. He seems to understand the idea of
living inside, but going outside to poop and pee. Until today there
has been no problem with this, but this evening I just discovered a
wet spot on the carpet in the living room. It is right in the walkway
through the living room and I know it was not there earlier today.
Curiously, it does not smell. Still, it is worrisome. Just now I took
a the lid to a large paper box and filled it with cat litter (bought a
couple days ago) and put it on the floor in the middle of the house.

You might check the thread on Cat Attract litter.
Part of the teaching process is to put a litter pan where he wants it untill
he uses it reliable and then slow move it to where you want it. (or build a
big screen around it like I did).

I might add that he doesn't seem to have any problem with elimination,
except that he never covers it up.

Join the club.

ron

Old September 18th 03, 04:27 PM
Bill

"Ron Herfurth" wrote in message

[...]

. . .

There's also a product called Revolution that's supposed to kill ear mites,
fleas, and ticks. You put the liquid behind the cat's neck where he can't
lick it.

Either way you kill the ear mites, the cat's ear will most likely continue
to produce excess ear wax for a while. This means you need to clean the
cat's ears yourself or take him to the vet to have it done. Naturally cats
hate this procedure.

One of my cats had an ear mite infection, so I know they quickly develop a
sense of when you're going to clean their ears.

Bill

Old September 18th 03, 04:48 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

It also kills fles and ticks, great stuff. I think you can only get it from
a vet. The pricing is weird, $15 for each dose or 7 for $55 - that's a six
pack plus one "free".

Either way you kill the ear mites, the cat's ear will most likely continue
to produce excess ear wax for a while. This means you need to clean the
cat's ears yourself or take him to the vet to have it done. Naturally

cats
hate this procedure.

I had a cat with with so much wax that it took the vet more than a dozen
Qtips to get it all. Me and a tech were holding the poor guy and he was
thumping his one free foot on the table. I think blue stuff 3 times a day
for a week would have been more humane.

ron

Old September 22nd 03, 01:06 AM
Marek Williams

Thanks to all who responded. As soon as I get the time (I've been
really swamped lately) I'll stop by a vet's office and see if I can
get some Revolution. There are three vets within walking distance of
my house, but getting there during office hours is difficult.

In the meantime, he has now pooped once inside the house, and I think
he peed again in the same general location as the first time. I tried
the suggestion of putting some dirt on top of the litter, and I placed
it in this area, but so far he has not used it. On the other hand,
three incidents inside the house over a week or so is not that much.
Clearly he is going outside most of the time.

What bothers me is whether he really understands the idea of indoors
vs outdoors. He has been a stray living outside most of his life. I
guess I'll just have to ride with it a while to see how things
develop.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.