using the carpet and not the scratching post

Old April 26th 05, 12:48 PM
blueberries79

Default using the carpet and not the scratching post

One of our cats, Gabe, had a problem at our old house where he would scratch
the throw rug in the living room instead of his scratching post. After
keeping an eye on him, we were able to substitute his scratching post for
the carpet and all was well. Now, we have moved and the scratching on the
carpet has started again. Of course things are in a different spot, but I
still keep his new scratching post next to the carpet so he can just go over
to that instead of tearing it up. He will use the scrathing post if I catch
him using the carpet and carry him over to it, or the scratching post to
him, but he just will not use it if he's not prompted. Any suggestions?
I'm new here so I dont know if this topic has already been covered...
thanks!! -LKB

Old April 26th 05, 02:10 PM
Gail

He may be a horizontal scratcher. Try scratching pads that are horizontal. I
use the Turbo Scratcher which can be purchased on line.
Gail

Old April 26th 05, 07:47 PM
Mary

"blueberries79" wrote in message
One of our cats, Gabe, had a problem at our old house where he would

scratch
the throw rug in the living room instead of his scratching post. After
keeping an eye on him, we were able to substitute his scratching post for
the carpet and all was well. Now, we have moved and the scratching on the
carpet has started again.

Try this:

http://www.petcarecentral.com/cospetprodsc.html

They sell them at Pet Smart, too. It is the only things my cats
like so much they leave the rugs and the furniture alone.

Old April 26th 05, 08:52 PM
PawsForThought

blueberries79 wrote:
One of our cats, Gabe, had a problem at our old house where he would

scratch
the throw rug in the living room instead of his scratching post.

I know someone mentioned the Turbo Scratcher, but my carpet scratcher
won't use it. I got the Alpine Scratcher which she likes, and I also
got a couple carpet scraps for her scratching pleasure. Here's a link
to the Alpine Scratcher:
http://cats.about.com/library/review...cscratcher.htm

Lauren

Old April 26th 05, 10:14 PM
blueberries79

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
ups.com...

blueberries79 wrote:
One of our cats, Gabe, had a problem at our old house where he would

scratch
the throw rug in the living room instead of his scratching post.

I know someone mentioned the Turbo Scratcher, but my carpet scratcher
won't use it. I got the Alpine Scratcher which she likes, and I also
got a couple carpet scraps for her scratching pleasure. Here's a link
to the Alpine Scratcher:
http://cats.about.com/library/review...cscratcher.htm

Lauren

The weird thing is that he wont use the carpet scraps we already have in the
house (which we got after we moved here and are in front of the door) but he
uses just this one carpet. I had thought he might like to be a horizontal
scratcher as well so had bought one of those cardboard ones with catnip but
neither of the cats touched it. My girl, Oreo, doesnt even scratch.
Sometimes she digs her claws into the top of the couch but she doesnt drag
her claws. Thanks for the suggestions everyone : )

Old April 27th 05, 01:59 PM
soft

I have many scratching post that are in different styles allowing the
cats to scratch in veried positions.
I also found getting some cheap rungs or carpet scrapes solves the
carpet scratching problem. Put them where you see the cats scratching
and watch them enjoy.

soft
Old April 27th 05, 03:32 PM
PawsForThought

blueberries79 wrote:

The weird thing is that he wont use the carpet scraps we already have

in the
house (which we got after we moved here and are in front of the door)

but he
uses just this one carpet.

Are the carpet scraps the same kind of carpet as where he likes to
scratch?

Old April 27th 05, 03:34 PM
PawsForThought

One last thought, he has "marked" the area of your carpet where he
scratches (cats have scent glands in their paws), so it's going to be
hard to break him of the habit. Have you tried cleaning the carpet,
then putting the scrap over the spot where he normally scratches?

Old April 27th 05, 03:46 PM
Karen

"soft" wrote in message

I have many scratching post that are in different styles allowing the
cats to scratch in veried positions.
I also found getting some cheap rungs or carpet scrapes solves the
carpet scratching problem. Put them where you see the cats scratching
and watch them enjoy.

soft

Those little oriental rugs (and big ones too) that you can buy at Shopko
are, I'm tellin' ya, indestructable. My mom's oriental moggie claws the hell
out of hers all the time and you can't tell at ALL.

Old April 27th 05, 10:39 PM
blueberries79

"PawsForThought" wrote in message
oups.com...
One last thought, he has "marked" the area of your carpet where he
scratches (cats have scent glands in their paws), so it's going to be
hard to break him of the habit. Have you tried cleaning the carpet,
then putting the scrap over the spot where he normally scratches?

The other scraps are basically like the carpet he scratches, but I think you
may be right about him having marked the carpet b/c it only on one half that
he does it. Its also on the spot he likes to lay where the sun comes in the
window. I will try to put the scraps over his spot he scratches and clean
the big carpet when I have time, sounds like a good idea!