"Easter" Dinner - OT

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 27th 05, 12:46 AM
jmcquown

Default "Easter" Dinner - OT

I don't actually celebrate Easter but what the heck, spring is here. I have
2 large lamb shanks, thawed. I have 2 nice large leeks. I have white
button mushrooms. I have garlic. I have onion. I have white wine. I have
chicken broth. Here's the method (not really a recipe):

Sprinkle the the lamb shanks with salt & pepper. Brown well in a little oil
in a deep pan that has a tight-fitting lid. Deglaze the pan with a maybe
1/4 c. of white (or very light red) wine. Pour in about three cups of
vegetable or chicken broth or stock. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer
the lamb a couple of hours until it's falling apart tender, adding a little
water if needed. Herbs... hmmm, I just guess at this. Marjoram, perhaps.
When the lamb is tender, remove it from the pot; let it cool a bit and tear
the meat off the bones and add it back to the pot. [Leave some meat on the
bones and wrap the bones well and tuck them in the freezer for making soup -
Scotch broth with barley! - later.]

Add some diced onion, minced garlic, sliced leek (the white part) and sliced
mushrooms to the pot with the lamb and sauce. Simmer about 20-30 minutes or
until the veggies are tender. Thicken the sauce with a cornstarch slurry if
necessary.

I will serve this with some toasted sourdough bread. Might make some
couscous, not sure yet. Seems like everything I prepare, I wing it based on
last minute thoughts.

Jill
--
I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.