Kitty Thanksgiving?

Old November 26th 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Kitty Thanksgiving?

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Storrmmee wrote:
it wasn't an official/regularly scheduled holiday until 1941 Lee

I beg to differ! It had been an official holiday ever since Lincoln
proclaimed it to be one. In 1941 it was simply changed from "the last
Thursday" to "the fourth Thursday" in November. My mom was born on
Thanksgiving Day, 1894 - November 29th, that year. (Mom never really
forgave FDR for changing it from Lincoln's "last Thursday" to the
present "fourth Thursday", since it meant her birthday could never again
fall on Thanksgiving Day!)

If I were your mom, I'd be glad of that. People I know whose birthdays
are on major holidays often feel their birthday gets short shrift because
everyone's busy celebrating the holiday. If they try to have a party,
nobody's available because they're all with their families. I'm just
glad my birthday is nowhere near any important (US) holidays. It's also
a time when most people aren't away on vacation, because school has just
started. The only conflicts I come up against is that, from time to time,
Rosh Hashana and even sometimes Yom Kippur fall right on my b'day (the
latter happened this year). I'm not observant myself, but some of my
friends are. However, I can still have a party, it's just smaller.

Joyce

--
Anyone who has accustomed himself to regard the life of any living
creature as worthless is in danger of arriving also at the idea of
Old November 26th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Storrmmee wrote:
[...]

Today, Nov. 25, is my son's birthday. They consider the Thanksgiving
day celebration as also an enhanced celebration of his birthday. MLB
Old November 26th 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 15:13:42 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

When Lincoln declared the first national Thanksgiving day, there's no
question that it was intended as a somewhat religious observation --
even though Lincoln himself was not religious. But I think the
reaction that Art got here to the suggestion that it is a religious
holiday indicates how little it is currently viewed in that light.
It's my favorite holiday, and I'm an atheist. (I just wish they'd move
it up to October where it belongs.)

Well, the only reason we celebrate Christmas on December 25th is because
it was already a Roman celebration for the birth of the soldiers' god,
Mithras! (Who was supposedly born in a cave on that date.) And of
course, nearly ALL religions celebrated the winter Solstice, so it was
easy to add another reason to the existing festivities. (I'm not sure
anyone really KNOWS when Christ was actually born, but probably NOT "in
the bleak midwinter" as the carol proclaims.)

The account about the shepherds would suggest that it was the warm part
of the year, since the shepherds were described as staying out all night
in the fields, with their flocks. In the winter, the custom was to herd
the sheep into a walled enclosure each night, where they would have some
protection from the wind, and the shepherd would be able to spend the
night indoors, in a house or hut adjoining the sheepfold.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly
Old November 29th 10, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CATherine[_2_]

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 11:15:49 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

For those of you who are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, whether you're
in the U.S. or are expats or who have friends who want a "traditional" Usian
Thanksgiving... what about your cats?

Persia doesn't get people food. She never has (except what she managed to
steal off my plate when she was much younger and I left my plate untended on
the coffee table for about 10 seconds!) But I've got Fancy Feast 'Turkey &
Giblets' for her on November 25th

Anything special planned for your kitties?

Jill

I thought about giving my cats a plate of turkey. But, they prefer to
get hand-fed off my plate; or catch "droppings" when I am slicing or
boning the carcass!

--
CATherine