The story of Cammie (anti-declaw content)

Old March 11th 05, 06:39 AM
L. (usenetlyn)

Default The story of Cammie (anti-declaw content)

Since my own cats have been rather boring lately (don't tell them I
said that!) I thought I'd post Cammie's story. I posted it once long
ago on h+b but I'm sure many people haven't seen it. It's one of many
stories I collected when I worked as a vet tech for a feline specialty
hospital...

Cammie was a ten year-old brown tabby with white markings, surrendered
for euthanasia by her "owner". The excuse was that the cat "leaked
urine" and was "unclean", and wouldn't use the litter box regularly.
The "owners" put her out in a garage and neglected her, where she sat
around and ate all the time, becoming fatter and fatter. Cammie was
approximately 6 lbs overweight when she was surrendered. She was
so fat that she couldn't clean her butt or vaginal area. She had a
raging vaginal infection. Even so, this was one of the sweetest,
most endearing cats I have ever met. When you looked into her eyes,
you could see the sense of betrayal and sadness this cat felt about
how she had been treated and her abandonment. During her stay at the
vet, we realized that she DID use the disposable paper box & paper
filling regularly, and that she actually WAS NOT incontinent AT ALL.
So, we spared her from euthanasia, and fixed her up. I also
discovered that her front declaws were regrowing in about half of her
toes, and that her feet were really sore. This was probably the
reason she wouldn't use the regular cat litter at home.

One of the employees took Cammie home to foster her until her medical
condition improved, and the employee's little boy (age 2) renamed her
Candy Yum-Yum. Candy Yum-Yum had her regrown declaws repaired, and
she healed fairly quickly. She was then placed in a loving
PERMANENT home, with a former employee (a vet tech) who had two other
older cats and wanted a third. The last picture I saw of her was her
napping in a fleece-lined teepee, smiling at the camera. It was a
*very* happy ending for a cat who was destined to die at the hands of
those who were supposed to love her and protect her. I was/am just so
sad and disgusted that her supposed "loving owner" of ten years
wouldn't give her the chance to live, like we did. Her story speaks
volumes about the type of people who declaw, and proves the point that
even when declawed, no cat is guaranteed a loving home. Stories like
hers make me believe more strongly that a cat should be rehomed,
rather than stay with people who threaten to get rid of the cat if it
isn't declawed. With an owner like that, who needs enemies?

-L.

Old March 11th 05, 08:01 AM
dorothy

Since my own cats have been rather boring lately (don't tell them I
said that!) I thought I'd post Cammie's story. I posted it once

long
ago on h+b but I'm sure many people haven't seen it. It's one of

many
stories I collected when I worked as a vet tech for a feline

specialty
hospital...

Cammie was a ten year-old brown tabby with white markings,

surrendered
for euthanasia by her "owner".

snip great story

-L.

Thank God for you and the wonderful people at your clinic. There is
nothing that makes me more angry than people (and I use the term
loosely) who think that animals and children are disposable. Anyone
who could look into those sweet, trusting eyes and betray that trust is
just not human. I am heartened by stories like this with a happy
ending, but they always make me think of those with a sad outcome, and
it just breaks my heart. Purrs to the family that took in Candy
Yum-Yum (love that name) and gave her the love and happy forever home
she deserved.

Kerrie

Old March 11th 05, 08:37 AM
O J

L. (usenetlyn) wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
Stories like
hers make me believe more strongly that a cat should be rehomed,
rather than stay with people who threaten to get rid of the cat if it
isn't declawed. With an owner like that, who needs enemies?

I believe that someone who'll declaw a cat is looking for a house
decoration, not a pet. We've adopted three declawed cats starting
with one we were offered by a friend. At the time, we didn't know the
implications of declawing. We fell in love with our Misty and looked
for declawed adult cats when we wanted to adopts some more. We've
learned a lot since then and have adopted another four with claws.
They all get along.

When I would post to the single cat group before the split, my sig
line was, "If you want a declawed cat, adopt one." The presence of
declawed adult cats up for adoption says a lot about the commitment to
the animal of the pet 'owner'. It was non-existent.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old March 11th 05, 01:06 PM
Victor Martinez

O J wrote:
I believe that someone who'll declaw a cat is looking for a house
decoration, not a pet. We've adopted three declawed cats starting

Exactly!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 11th 05, 02:47 PM
CatNipped

"L. (usenetlyn)" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It makes me sick to think that there are people out there who would do that
to a loving, trusting little life whose fate is in their hands. When Bandit
was hurt and I thought I might lose her, I was desperate for just a bit more
time with my baby, no matter what it cost, no matter what I had to do to
take care of her. I can't imagine*willingly* killing a family member just
because it has become inconvenient.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 11th 05, 04:13 PM
L. (usenetlyn)

CatNipped wrote:

It makes me sick to think that there are people out there who would

do that
to a loving, trusting little life whose fate is in their hands. When

Bandit
was hurt and I thought I might lose her, I was desperate for just a

bit more
time with my baby, no matter what it cost, no matter what I had to do

take care of her. I can't imagine*willingly* killing a family member

just
because it has become inconvenient.

Hugs,

CatNipped

To just throw her out into the garage to live, and to not even seek vet
advice was horrible. You could see the betrayal in her eyes - she
looked at you with total lack of trust. I wanted to beat the original
"owners" senseless. I was so happy when she got adopted.

-L.

Old March 11th 05, 08:04 PM
Christina Websell

Please excuse top post.
My stance on declawing is well known on the group. I live in England and I
don't think it's ever been legal here.
It is outlawed in most countries. It's cruel and unnecessary as far as I'm
concerned. Debarking of dogs isn't allowed here either.

It's simple for me. If anyone has a problem with their cat maybe clawing
furniture with its front feet, don't get one. That's what they sometimes
do.
Dogs bark. That's what they do too. The only dog that doesn't bark is a
Basenji, they yodel.
Never buy or get a dog if you can't accept it will sometimes bark.

I was glad when my dogs barked. It meant they'd heard something a bit
suspicious and alerted me to look around.

It seems to be *so* different in America, this is not directed at rpca
members..
You get a cat. It has claws on all four feet, well, they come like that,
don't they? When you take them for a spay or neuter, your vet seems to
suggest it's a good idea for a declaw at the same time.
Well, it isn't.
Would all you American members ask your vet if they encourage declawing? If
they do, ask them why. (Well, we all know it's about earning more money!)
Explain it is illegal almost everywhere in the world and ask them how they
can justify it. See what they say.
Then tell them if they continue to do it, you will find another vet that
doesn't do it for ethical reasons.
It doesn't matter if you can't. If enough Americans say this to their vets
they will have to stop doing it.
(They won't know if you can find one or not, but they won't want to lose
your business in case you do)

Tweed

Old March 11th 05, 08:17 PM
CatNipped

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
[...]

That's one of the ways I chose my current vet. I called and asked if they
did declawing, acting like I wanted to have it done. When they said no,
they didn't do it except when it was medically necessary to correct a proble
m, I told them that it was a trick question and that they'd just gotten
themselves four new patients.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 11th 05, 08:18 PM
CatNipped

LOL! Every time I send a post about declawing my spell checker says that
"declaw" isn't a word - oh if that were only true and nobody in the world
knew what "declawing" is!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 11th 05, 08:29 PM
KellyH

"O J" wrote
When I would post to the single cat group before the split, my sig
line was, "If you want a declawed cat, adopt one." The presence of
declawed adult cats up for adoption says a lot about the commitment to
the animal of the pet 'owner'. It was non-existent.

I've got two declawed cats coming in to the shelter. This woman emailed
that she has a new baby coming into the home, and the cats needs to go. I
emailed her back a bunch of info on how to integrate cats and babies,
explained how stressed the cats would be at the shelter, and to at least try
it with the baby before giving up the cats. She emailed back that "the cats
were not her primary concern" and "I have enjoyed the cats, but will enjoy
my grandson more. Please let me know when and where to drop off the cats."
Bleh!! I'm doing a segment on our shelter's low-budget cable show about
cats and babies next week.
That grandson better watch out! When a cuter grandbaby comes along, he's
toast!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net