Bathroom cat -- In the Pet Porter at long last

Old May 15th 05, 06:05 AM
Charlie Wilkes

Default Bathroom cat -- In the Pet Porter at long last

I set the food dish and nanny cam in the Pet Porter and tied a cord to
the gate, which I then fed through the crack in the bathroom door.
That way I could observe when the cat entered the porter and pull the
gate shut from outside the room. It took some patience, but it
worked.

The cat lunges furiously at the gate when I approach and growls in a
low, menacing tone. I have never seen such a display of raw
aggression from felis cattus.

Are you all SURE it's not a lynx hybrid???

I turned Jerry Howe's DDR on full blast. (I have been keeping it
turned off and saving it for this occasion, because it supposedly
loses effectiveness like hearing a favorite tune too many times.) I
also gassed the Pet Porter with a walloping dose of Feliway. Then I
closed the door and turned off the light, so as to give the animal a
bit of time to calm down. I will burn some plastic on the late-night
weekend vet I guess, because I want this over with. Poor kitty has
suffered in confinement for far too long. But soon it will be as free
as the wind, and I will finally be able to clean the damn bathroom.

Still, I face a conundrum. Neutering is not in debate, but what about
vaccinations? I do not want to turn a cat loose if it is sick from
the complications of feline vaccine. My inclination, based on
everything I have learned recently, is to save my money and protect
the animal's immune system. It is healthy now, and I don't think
there has been any rabies around here for years.

Opinions welcome!

Charlie

Old May 15th 05, 06:31 AM
Mary

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message

Still, I face a conundrum. Neutering is not in debate, but what about
vaccinations? I do not want to turn a cat loose if it is sick from
the complications of feline vaccine. My inclination, based on
everything I have learned recently, is to save my money and protect
the animal's immune system. It is healthy now, and I don't think
there has been any rabies around here for years.

Opinions welcome!

Congrats on getting her in the carrier, Charlie! I wish I knew
the answer to the vaccine question. Talk frankly with your vet
and let us know what he/she says.

Old May 15th 05, 07:14 AM
Rhonda

Wow, that was quite a feat! Thanks gawd for modern surveillance cameras!
(You should write the company about a new use...)

I agree with Mary about the vaccines -- the vet would know best. Were
you planning to bring the cat home after the spay/neuter and keep him or
her until healed and ready to be released? If so, you'd be able to
observe any problems. Our vet recommends Felv for any cat that is
outside, along with the regular distemper/respiratory shot. Our kittens
did feel punk for a day after the distemper shot, but it was just a day.
I have read since that many cats get a fever for 24 hrs or less.

Good luck with the cat. Sorry he or she turned out to be the
non-pregnant one, but you are really helping this one.

Rhonda

Old May 15th 05, 07:23 AM

I set the food dish and nanny cam in the
Pet Porter and tied a cord to the gate,
which I then fed through the crack in
the bathroom door. That way I could
observe when the cat entered the porter
and pull the gate shut from outside the
room. It took some patience, but it
worked.
The cat lunges furiously at the gate
when I approach and growls in a low,
menacing tone. I have never seen such a
display of raw aggression from felis
cattus.
Are you all SURE it's not a lynx
hybrid???

Nope. That's normal for a frightened feral.

I turned Jerry Howe's DDR on full blast.
(I have been keeping it turned off and
saving it for this occasion, because it
supposedly loses effectiveness like
hearing a favorite tune too many times.)
I also gassed the Pet Porter with a
walloping dose of Feliway.

PLEASE don't do this!!! Feliway is not meant to be inhaled !!! (look at
the warning on the sheet that comes with it) and should only be sprayed
on things and allowed to dry. This is very hard on her lungs!

Then I closed
the door and turned off the light, so as
to give the animal a bit of time to calm
down. I will burn some plastic on the
late-night weekend vet I guess, because
I want this over with. Poor kitty has
suffered in confinement for far too
long. But soon it will be as free as the
wind, and I will finally be able to
clean the damn bathroom.
Still, I face a conundrum. Neutering is
not in debate, but what about
vaccinations? I do not want to turn a
cat loose if it is sick from the
complications of feline vaccine.

You'll need to keep her for several days after the spay so she can
recover, so you'll be able to monitor her for any vaccine reaction. It
might be better to leave her at the vet for a few days so they can
vaccinate her first, then spay her the next day. This is what I've
always done with ferals.

My
inclination, based on everything I have
learned recently, is to save my money
and protect the animal's immune system.
It is healthy now, and I don't think
there has been any rabies around here
for years.
Opinions welcome!

She should get the basic rabies and distemper vaccines. You should also
ask the vet to tip her ear so you can recognize that she is the cat that
has been spayed, even from a distance.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 15th 05, 07:45 AM
Hopitus

Geez...being ignorant re Feliway I read lots about it here
and was thinking of finding some to treat my cats like a
catnip binge but now I see it's dangerous stuff indeed.
Heh. They can stay fat and lazy AFAIK before I'll ever give them that stuff.

Old May 15th 05, 08:54 PM
bigbadbarry

Charlie Wilkes wrote:

Charlie

Cool beans. You sure don't wanna keep him? I bet he's super smart.