Tri colored cats all female?

Old October 15th 04, 12:52 PM
Bobcat

"Electric Nachos" wrote in message
Gee. Just think. NONE of this valuable information would have been

known if
the animal mutilators (a.k.a. spay-ers and neuter-ers) in this group

got a
hold of them first.

I can't stand to go into an animal control building where they house
unwanted cats and kittens until they find homes for them, or euthanize
them. The odds of the latter fate are high enough,even with
conscientious cat-owners (you call us "animal mutilators") neutering
and spaying their animals. Imagine the numbers of little tragedies if
no one did.

Old October 15th 04, 01:50 PM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:52:49 -0400, "Bobcat"
wrote:

"Electric Nachos" wrote in message
Gee. Just think. NONE of this valuable information would have been

known if
the animal mutilators (a.k.a. spay-ers and neuter-ers) in this group

got a
hold of them first.

I can't stand to go into an animal control building where they house
unwanted cats and kittens until they find homes for them, or euthanize
them. The odds of the latter fate are high enough,even with
conscientious cat-owners (you call us "animal mutilators") neutering
and spaying their animals. Imagine the numbers of little tragedies if
no one did.

One queen and one tom - live 15 years and have one litter of four
every year; each litter has two females. Assume all kittens survive
and live to age 15.

At the end of the first year, there are three females. At then end of
the second year there are nine females (three adult females and six
female kittens - plus the males equals 18 cats where there were two);
the end of the third year brings the total females to 27 and the total
cats to 54. When the original female dies after her fifteenth litter,
she leaves 14 348 906 female descendents - 28 697 812 counting the
males.

In order to avoid obvious hypocracy, anyone advocating that kind of
population explosion, which is what someone objecting to neutering is,
in effect, advocating, would have to provide homes for all those
cats. I'm not sure Bill Gates could afford to keep a female cat and
meet his responsibility for all the offspring for any length of time.

T.E.D. )

Old October 15th 04, 04:52 PM
Melissa

dgk wrote in message . ..
I suppose I could check Google but I'm here so...

Someone at the cat show said that all tri-color (or tri-colour for my
British friends) cats are female, or, if male, are sterile.

Seems odd but he was showing his purebreds so maybe he knew what he
was talking about. Does white count as a color?

Tortishells are almost always female. Male tortishells are almost
always sterile. There almost never is an always with animals.
They'll go out of their way to prove you wrong. Male tortishells are
almost always sterile because they need to have two X chromosomes to
provide the color. A male cat that is XXY is most often going to be
sterile. There are exceptions though. A male cat can have cells that
are XXY and have cells that are normal XY. These males can be
tortishells and not be sterile because they can make some normal
sperm. So it is possible, but not probable to have a non-sterile
tortishell.

Old October 15th 04, 06:24 PM
Cat Protector

Interesting topic. I do think white counts as a color. Of course that is a
pretty bold statement to say that tri-color males are steral. There are
plenty of tri-colored cats out there that are male and unless you neuter
them they can father kittens. Of course you didn't mention what breed you
are talking about.

I entered my cat Icarus in the HHP category for a CFA cat show this
Saturday. When the clerk wanted to know his color, I emailed her a picture
of him. He has silver/black tabby markings but when I received my entry she
listed him as a brown classic tabby color. I guess this how a lot of tabby
colors get classified.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com