Tri colored cats all female?

Old October 15th 04, 06:24 PM
Cat Protector

Interesting topic. I do think white counts as a color. Of course that is a
pretty bold statement to say that tri-color males are steral. There are
plenty of tri-colored cats out there that are male and unless you neuter
them they can father kittens. Of course you didn't mention what breed you
are talking about.

I entered my cat Icarus in the HHP category for a CFA cat show this
Saturday. When the clerk wanted to know his color, I emailed her a picture
of him. He has silver/black tabby markings but when I received my entry she
listed him as a brown classic tabby color. I guess this how a lot of tabby
colors get classified.

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com
"dgk" wrote in message
I suppose I could check Google but I'm here so...

Someone at the cat show said that all tri-color (or tri-colour for my
British friends) cats are female, or, if male, are sterile.

Seems odd but he was showing his purebreds so maybe he knew what he
was talking about. Does white count as a color?

Old October 15th 04, 07:09 PM
kaeli

In article FJTbd.69219$tU4.2376@okepread06,
enlightened us with...
Interesting topic. I do think white counts as a color. Of course that is a
pretty bold statement to say that tri-color males are steral. There are
plenty of tri-colored cats out there that are male and unless you neuter
them they can father kittens. Of course you didn't mention what breed you
are talking about.

CP - a "true" tricolor, as defined by the cat breed people (whoever made them
boss of terms). Generically, a tortoiseshell or calico, with or without
white. Tabby and white doesn't qualify as a tricolor.

You know - the "logic" of science where they call something a term that isn't
entirely accurate. A "true" tricolor has two different expressions of the red
gene, which requires 2 X chromosomes. Any male expressing it therefore must
be XXY - an anomaly that renders all but 1 in 30 thousand (or some really
small number: see site I quoted in my other post) as incapable of producing
viable sperm. Thus, they are sterile.
Most human males who are XXY (Klinefelter syndrome) are also sterile.

Also note that calico and tortoiseshell cats do not have fathers of those
color patterns. The father is usually ginger or black. This is color
genetics. The mother is often calico and tortoiseshell though.

When you find a calico or tortoiseshell male that has sired kittens, let us
know. It'd be neat to see. It's very, very rare.

~kaeli~
The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and
three hundred sixty-two admonishments to heterosexuals.
That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's
just that they need more supervision.
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old October 15th 04, 07:22 PM
Cat Protector

Shouldn;t white be considered? I think with the Japanese Bobtail they count
the white as a color. As for being sterile, the only proven meathod of proof
of steralization is by neutering.

Old October 15th 04, 09:20 PM
kaeli

In article bzUbd.69942$tU4.13893@okepread06,
enlightened us with...
Shouldn;t white be considered? I think with the Japanese Bobtail they count
the white as a color.

Well, they're talking about "tricolor" much like one talks about pinto
horses. Pinto horses aren't a breed, it's a color pattern. Tricolor doesn't
really mean any old 3 colors. It specifically means 2 shades from the red
gene and one from black. So you can get blue/tan "dilute" torties from this
as a tricolor.
As to the rest of the color patterns, white is a complimentary color or
alone. Such as tabby and white, calico and white (technically 4 colors, yet a
tricolor), and so on.

As for being sterile, the only proven meathod of proof
of steralization is by neutering.

People, and animals, can have problems with having babies. If sperm is not
viable, it can't fertilize an egg. The male tricolors make sperm, but the
sperm is usually badly deformed, dead, so to speak, and never makes it to the
female's egg. If it does, even then, it rarely fertilizes the egg.
Mules, the offspring of horses and donkeys, are always sterile as well. You
don't get a mule by breeding two mules.
There are many reasons why an animal, including a human, may be unable to
bear/produce young. Neutering is the only way of sterilizing a fertile
animal.

~kaeli~
He's your God, they're your rules - you burn in Hell.

Old October 16th 04, 01:01 AM
Electric Nachos

Ted Davis wrote in message ...

In order to avoid obvious hypocracy, anyone advocating that kind of
population explosion, which is what someone objecting to neutering is,
in effect, advocating, would have to provide homes for all those
cats. I'm not sure Bill Gates could afford to keep a female cat and
meet his responsibility for all the offspring for any length of time.

Speaking of HOMES, did you know that CATS are perfectly capable of surviving
without humans?

And did you know, that CATS managed to survive during the time that humans
were nomadic?

Imagine that.

CATS NOT NEEDING HUMANS or their population and choke health care /choke
MANipulations!

wow

T.E.D. )

???

I *know* you from some other newsgroup...

R U a DOS Batcher?

Old October 16th 04, 01:12 AM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 17:01:38 -0700, "Electric Nachos"
wrote:

Ted Davis wrote in message ...

In order to avoid obvious hypocracy, anyone advocating that kind of
population explosion, which is what someone objecting to neutering is,
in effect, advocating, would have to provide homes for all those
cats. I'm not sure Bill Gates could afford to keep a female cat and
meet his responsibility for all the offspring for any length of time.

Speaking of HOMES, did you know that CATS are perfectly capable of surviving
without humans?

And did you know, that CATS managed to survive during the time that humans
were nomadic?

Imagine that.

CATS NOT NEEDING HUMANS or their population and choke health care /choke
MANipulations!

Those that don't interact with humans obviously are not the topic of
this discussion. Those that depend on us for something, if only
garbage, are.

???

I *know* you from some other newsgroup...

R U a DOS Batcher?

Yes. If you know me that well, you also know I bait trolls and other
obnoxious users for a round or two, then killfile them. I think it
time to killfile you.

--
T.E.D. )