I have to say "NO"

Old October 8th 13, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default I have to say "NO"

On 10/8/2013 4:26 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
wrote:

Absolutely! It's funny, last spring when she went to visit her son she
took Schwartzie with her. She told me it was because she has to give
him shots. She said she wouldn't expect anyone else to do it! Now,
suddenly, she's sure I can. Uh, no.

Couldn't her son look after him? As Schwartzie had stayed at his house
with your neighbour he'd should be more comfortable there and it's more
his responsibility than yours.

Judith

I got the impression her son doesn't like cats. She told me he didn't
know she was bringing him with her. Surprise! (I don't really
understand the relationship and it isn't my problem). It's still not a
task I'm willing to take on. I'm simply not qualified to give
Schwartzie insulin shots.

Jill
Old October 8th 13, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I have no idea. Persia isn't an indoor-outdoor cat. She's not diabetic.
Then again, I didn't expect her to have a (thankfully benign) bladder
tumor that caused repetetitive bladder infections. Nor did I expect her
to develop hyperthyroidism. Nor turn out to be allergic to the
medication.

Obesity might make a difference. I honestly don't know. I'm not
diabetic. Neither is Persia. And Persia hasn't been "fat" for a few
years.

We've done the inside-outside cat discussion before. I couldn't let
declawed Persia outside (not that she is interested). She could be eaten
by an alligator. Or hurt by a raccoon. She's content to stay inside and
I'm content to let her.

Jill

I'm not trying to strike up an outdoor/indoor debate. I just wondered if
the difference in culture in the way cats are kept in our two countries
makes a difference to the rate of diabetes, which seems to be not very
common here.
You are putting words into my mouth that were never there. I totally
understand why it's dangerous to let Persia out, and that was not what I was
getting at. I was asking about what I perceive to be a high number of
diabetic cats in the USA and if anyone could put their finger on the reason.

Tweed

Old October 8th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
My neighbor, owned by Fedders (RB) and Schwartzie, called to ask if I
could take care of Schwarty (nickname) while she's gone for a week and a
half, maybe two.

She's moving! Putting her house up for sale and scouting an area closer
to her son, DIL and grandkids.

The problem is, he's a diabetic cat. He needs insulin shots morning and
evening.

I had a hard enough time feeding her cats and getting them in and out of
the house on her schedule. I'm not qualified to give her cat insulin
shots. I will NOT take on that responsibility.

Her proposition is this: I come over for the next four days and be there
while she gives him his shots. Pet him, play with him, give him the
treats before/after. Then give him the shot. She says it will be easy!

Uh, no, it won't. Schwartzie hides from me. Oh sure, sometimes he
shows himself, but often he's under the bed. She was like "But you can
get him out from under the bed!" No, sorry, he only came out when he
felt like it. I'm not willing to put his insulin dependent life in my
hands.

She said he'd get upset about being boarded. Of course he will. Most
cats do. Persia wasn't exactly happy. But I pointed out she was
boarded for *months* before I brought her here. She was well cared for
and she got over it. Persia owns this house now.

I told her sorry, but I cannot be responsible for giving Schwarzie
insulin shots.

Jill

You are quite right in refusing to take on such a responsibility,
especially alone.

when we were first married, our then next door neighbour, (now our
neighbour over the road as that's as far as we moved) had a do. he was
lovely but he really hated being left in the house alone and howled. This
didn't annoy us as we felt sorry for him. They tried everything, leaving a
radio on, lights on and even the tv but he was not pacified. So we offered
to have him when they went out. This was no hardship as we liked having
him. However he developed a heart condition (he was getting on a bit by
then) and they said that they didn't think it was fair to put that
responsibility on us and when we said we didn't mind they said the knew we
would look after him properly but pointed out how upset we would be if
anything happened while he was with us. They were older and wiser than us.

I'd be quite happy to medicate someone else's dog, because I know I could do
it alone, but someone else's cat - no way Jose.

I can't even medicate my own cat on my own.
I wish I had the ability of Alison the vet, she just opened his mouth and
the tapeworm tablet went down in a flash but there again he was flattened on
the table in fear at the time having his jabs, saying "oh, please let this
all be over very very soon.."

Tweed

Old October 9th 13, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

No, I'm not. I'm talking about other people who live in the UK who
brought it up.

I totally
understand why it's dangerous to let Persia out, and that was not what I was
getting at. I was asking about what I perceive to be a high number of
diabetic cats in the USA and if anyone could put their finger on the reason.

Tweed

No, I don't know. I don't equate fat cats with diabetes.

Jill
Old October 9th 13, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

jmcquown wrote:

I totally
understand why it's dangerous to let Persia out, and that was not what I was
getting at. I was asking about what I perceive to be a high number of
diabetic cats in the USA and if anyone could put their finger on the reason.

Tweed

No, I don't know. I don't equate fat cats with diabetes.

Neither do I. I agree with Mary that it's about diet. Cats have no need
for grains, and it's been shown that eating food containing a lot of grains
puts a cat at risk for diabetes. They might also gain weight, but that's
not required for diabetes.

Even humans probably eat too much grain, but at least we're omnivores. Cats
don't need anything except meat (including all the nutrients that would be
contained in a whole prey animal), plus a little bit of vegetable.

--
Joyce

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.
Old October 9th 13, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Must have missed that

I totally
understand why it's dangerous to let Persia out, and that was not what I
was
getting at. I was asking about what I perceive to be a high number of
diabetic cats in the USA and if anyone could put their finger on the
reason.

Tweed

No, I don't know. I don't equate fat cats with diabetes.

Jill

I do. I'm not saying that slim cats don't get diabetes, they do, but being
vastly overweight puts them at more risk of it, as it does with humans.
IMO.
I once saw a pic on here of a very fat cat and he wondered why he lost her
prematurely :-(

The food needs to be tailored to the activity.
If you, or your cats, eat more in calories than you burn up in daily
activities, it leads to weight gain.
Simple mathemetics.

Tweed

Old October 10th 13, 03:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

A neighbor fed my cats last week while I spent three days in the hospital. Last night I took her and her husband out to dinner and gave her a new stylus for her smart phone. She was glad to help me but I felt some recognition was needed.
Old October 10th 13, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/10/2013 10:31 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:
A neighbor fed my cats last week while I spent three days in the hospital. Last night I took her and her husband out to dinner and gave her a new stylus for her smart phone. She was glad to help me but I felt some recognition was needed.

Were you back in the hospital, Mike?

How very nice of you to reciprocate. My neighbor always gave me a
little something as a gift when I cat-sat. I simply won't agree to give
Schwartzie insulin shots. I'm not qualified.

She did find someone, a member of the local Feline Foundation. Whether
or not she's qualified to give him insulin shots, well... it's not my
decision.

Jill

Old October 10th 13, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mike Mayers

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:04:09 AM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
On 10/10/2013 10:31 AM, Mike Mayers wrote:

A neighbor fed my cats last week while I spent three days in the hospital. Last night I took her and her husband out to dinner and gave her a new stylus for her smart phone. She was glad to help me but I felt some recognition was needed.

Were you back in the hospital, Mike?yes, I was in for bloody stool caused by an ulcer. It was a combination of coumadin and neproxin. I should have known better.