Persia and the Windy Night (or...)

Old November 15th 13, 03:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Persia and the Windy Night (or...)

Persia, the guard-cat.

Last Tuesday night it was very, very windy. The wind chimes at the
front of the house started ringing around 10PM. It was a cold front
that came through earlier than predicted. I could hear the wind blowing
in the trees behind the house. Nothing to get excited about. This
anecdote isn't about the weather.

When I went to bed Persia joined me. She curled into my side. I think
I had just drifted off to sleep when I was awakened by a loud thump
outside the bedroom windows. So was Persia, the guard-cat! She leaped
over me to that side of the bed.

I don't know what she thought she might do about whatever it was. But
she was on guard.

It was still windy but nothing else happened. So she came back over and
curled up next to me. We slept.

The next morning, the only thing I found that had fallen behind the
bedroom windows was a rather large clump of Spanish moss. Yep, that
could certainly go *thump* in the night.

It was interesting how the noise made Persia to go on the defensive.
Who knows what goes through their furry little heads?

Jill
Old November 16th 13, 08:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia, the guard-cat.

Last Tuesday night it was very, very windy. The wind chimes at the front
of the house started ringing around 10PM. It was a cold front that came
through earlier than predicted. I could hear the wind blowing in the
trees behind the house. Nothing to get excited about. This anecdote
isn't about the weather.

Wow, having windchimes can make you quite unpopular with neighbours here!
As I'm already unpopular with my neighbours each side (not my fault, really,
you know the saga of one and the other side I seriously fell out with over
some trees of mine) I daren't hang mine outside. I have a lovely set of
windchimes I inherited from my mother but I've hung them from the beams in
my kitchen and tinkle them as I go by.

When I went to bed Persia joined me. She curled into my side. I think I
had just drifted off to sleep when I was awakened by a loud thump outside
the bedroom windows. So was Persia, the guard-cat! She leaped over me to
that side of the bed.

I don't know what she thought she might do about whatever it was. But she
was on guard.

It was still windy but nothing else happened. So she came back over and
curled up next to me. We slept.

The next morning, the only thing I found that had fallen behind the
bedroom windows was a rather large clump of Spanish moss. Yep, that could
certainly go *thump* in the night.

It was interesting how the noise made Persia to go on the defensive. Who
knows what goes through their furry little heads?

Boyfie says Persia was a verybravegirlcat to protect her meowmie from
whatever it proved to be. Ok, it was not a burglar or anything like that
But It Could Have Been.

Tweed

Old November 16th 13, 09:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
Persia, the guard-cat.

Last Tuesday night it was very, very windy. The wind chimes at the front
of the house started ringing around 10PM. It was a cold front that came
through earlier than predicted. I could hear the wind blowing in the
trees behind the house. Nothing to get excited about. This anecdote
isn't about the weather.

Wow, having windchimes can make you quite unpopular with neighbours here!

Well, the neighbors across the street are only here for 2-3 months out
of the year. The only person who *might* hear them is Schwartzie's mom
next door. That's doubtful. Our homes are separated by partial fences
along our driveways. Her bedroom is in the back of the house just as
mine is. I doubt she'd have heard them.

I have a lovely set of windchimes I inherited from my mother but I've
hung them from the beams in
my kitchen and tinkle them as I go by.

That's nice. I can't hang anything from the kitchen ceiling.

I don't know what she thought she might do about whatever it was. But she
was on guard.

The next morning, the only thing I found that had fallen behind the
bedroom windows was a rather large clump of Spanish moss. Yep, that could
certainly go *thump* in the night.

It was interesting how the noise made Persia to go on the defensive. Who
knows what goes through their furry little heads?

Boyfie says Persia was a verybravegirlcat to protect her meowmie from
whatever it proved to be. Ok, it was not a burglar or anything like that
But It Could Have Been.

Tweed

Persia was indeed a very brave girlcat. She protected me from that
mysterious thump!

She alerted me a week or so ago. I was sitting here in the corner on
the computer. She started chattering. I turned to look. Two young
deer. They were just standing by the edge of the patio looking in.
They were about 13 feet away from where I sat. I reached for my camera.
Then I remembered the battery was on the charger in the other room.
Darnit!

But yes, Persia is on the alert. G I doubt she'd ever seen deer
before. She's seen dogs, she's seen other cats. She's seen raccoons,
birds, squirrels. Deer? I don't think so.

She was probably making those squeaky sounds to ask, "Mom, should I be
worried about whatever the heck those critters are?" Nope.

It would have been a great photo if the battery was in the camera. As
it was I just watched them meander off behind another house.

Jill
Old November 16th 13, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/16/2013 4:22 PM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , jmcquown
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

What a clever Persia.

How lovely to see the deer like that. We don't have that kind of wild life
here in Lye but we have birds and apparently mice (Sootie's takeaway). We
have badgers, I only know that as one used to visit our garden but only
that one, still they must be around. Probably in the park nearby. We used
to see hegdhogs but I haven't seen one for years. We used to have one in
the street who had got confused and was about during the day. We all
called him Harry and the kids loved to see him. One day one of the mothers
driving her kids to school had to stop because Harry was in the middle of
the road. She and the car behind (also taking the kids to school) had to
reverse and go around the block to get out of our cul-de-sac. They didn't
mind, after all it was Harry. He lived here several years so his unusual
timetable didn't seem to harm him. Maybe it was all the cat food
(recommended food for hedgehogs and we're well trained) the children gave
him.

I would love to have deer looking into my garden.

Judith

What differences in the wildlife in our countries. I'd love to see a
hedgehog! I think I could live without a badger.

But yes, I was quite surprised to see the two deer just standing there.
I'd judge these as fairly young ones. They still had their spots.
One was noticeably taller than the other but I got the impression they
were sibling does. Too bad I missed the perfect photo. They didn't act
skittish at all.

It occurred to me later, they'd probably just walked over after eating
some plants at Schwartzie's house. (Schwarztie's owner always has tasty
plants in pots outside!) Maybe wondering if I had anything tasty for
them to eat. G

Jill
Old November 16th 13, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Judith Latham" wrote in message
In article ,
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Maybe she felt that if there was a danger then she needed to alert you to
it too. It may be that she needed to know what was going on, we all know
how curious they are.

Or she may have been trying to protect you. When I was alone in the house
with her I always felt that if anyone attacked me then she would have
defended me with all her might. When DH wasn't there and I opened the door
to anyone, she would appear beside me, where ever she'd been before she
came and stood alert by me feet. I haven't felt that with either of my
dogs or either of my other cats. However, Sootie is a deep one so you
never know.

When we're in bed watching tv at night, Sootie looks through the study
window, sometimes she'll come running like a bat out of hell along the
landing and down the stairs to look out of the patio window.Then if she's
really agitated she'll come running back upstairs and meow loudly at me as
if saying there's something going on and to come and check it. When I have
checked I can never see anything but she settles down then having done her
bit.

Probably a fox. Most foxes do not attack cats but some do. Boyfie is quite
capable of going up a tree in a few seconds if he sees one that threatens
him, but I prefer to keep him in overnight now he is getting older. He
doesn't always agree with me about that.
But meowmie rules about night time activities for an 11 y o. No flirting
around with foxes in the night, full stop.
You are IN.

Tweed

Old November 16th 13, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I don't have deer near me phew It's bad enough to have foxes. The
nearest deer to me are in a park

http://www.bradgatepark.org/63/Deer_Herd/

Lady Jane Grey lived there. She got beheaded. Us Englanders were certainly
a wild bunch several centuries ago about the throne.

Tweed

Old November 17th 13, 02:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:58:16 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Midway through one night, my mother was awakened by the sound of
something scratching at her bedroom window. She tried to quietly wake my
father up.

"Foster, don't make a sound, but I think there is a burglar trying to
break in."

loudly "Whaaaa?"

"Shhhh. I think we have a burglar."

even louder "Whaaaaa?"

She finally got him to wake up completely, and he peeked out the window.
The burglar turned out to be a mama possum and five or six babies. Their
weight had made a bush branch bend down far enough to scratch at the
window.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old November 17th 13, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 11/16/2013 9:18 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
[...]

LOL! Yep, you just never know what might be lurking outside the window.

In my case it would probably be raccoons. I can't keep a bird feeder
because of them. They tear them down, they make off with parts.
Bandits, they are! I gave up on bird feeders.

Shortly after the last feeder incident, Persia called my attention to a
scuffling noise out back. I turned on the patio lights and looked out
the curtains. FIVE raccoons were on the patio staring back at me. Oh
my! As I watched another two ran down from the golf course. Seven
raccoons looking for food. Sorry guys! I turned the light off. I told
Persia everything was okay and went back to bed.

Jill
Old November 18th 13, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Nice link, thanks.

Lady Jane Grey lived there. She got beheaded. Us Englanders were certainly
a wild bunch several centuries ago about the throne.

Tweed

Aye, ye were that. There's nothing wrong with deer, except when they
unexpectedly jump out in front of your car. The ones that live here are
white-tail deer.

Then again, weren't Englishmen in Lady Jane's day very fond of deer/stag
and fox hunts?

BTW, I'm not putting you or England down. My surname name is Scottish,
traced all the way back to 1679. My maternal grandparents were straight
off the boat in the 1920's. I believe that makes me a second generation
Brit.

Jill

Persia's Going to the Vet jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 14 December 11th 09 12:08 PM
The night before night before Christmas fun GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 08 12:00 AM
Sunday night was biff night Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 8 July 8th 05 04:37 AM
A Windy Night Adrian Cat anecdotes 18 January 12th 05 11:52 AM
UH OH Persia jmcquown Cat anecdotes 51 December 20th 03 01:59 AM