Interesting stoy in Local Paper

Old November 14th 04, 02:32 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

Default Interesting stoy in Local Paper

Since you have to 'subscribe' to their web service, I will post it he

Behind closed doors is tougher
The Pet Connection
by Gina Spadework
November 14, 2004
http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sto...1100286160.sto

Can indoor cats really be happy?

Cat lovers can - and do - maintain vehemently opposed opinions on this
issue. But you can't disagree with the fact that the free-roaming life can
be dangerous for a cat.

My friends who let their cats roam free have had their pets run over by cars
(too many times to count), pulled apart by dogs (once), by coyotes (twice)
and poisoned (a half-dozen times, most times accidentally but at least once
suspiciously).

And those are just the deaths they know about. Mostly, my friends' cats just
disappear, with sad and frequent regularity.

Such tragedies don't happen to indoor cats, who are statistically likely to
outlive free-roaming cats by about a decade. Compared to an existence filled
with cars, coyotes, traps, poisons and cat-hating neighbors, the life of an
indoor cat is relatively risk-free.

Still, keeping a cat inside is more difficult, both in terms of the time
spent maintaining the animal, and the effort and imagination required to
keep the animal mentally and physically happy. But I've seen enough indoor
cats to know that they seem perfectly content, especially if they've never
been allowed to roam.

Since you've taken away a large part of the cat's natural world when you
keep them inside, you need to put in "environmental enrichments" to make up
for the loss.

If you're going to have an indoor cat, you need to think about ways to make
your home more entertaining to your cat, engaging as many senses as
possible.

Your first investment should be a cat tree, a place for your pet to scratch,
climb, perch and generally feel superior to the beings below. Cats love to
scratch - it keeps their claws sharp, gives them a good stretch and allows
them to mark their territory with scent. With patience, most cats can be
trained to use a cat tree or post instead of furniture.

Next up: toys. You'll need an interactive toy you can use to play with your
cat, such as a "fishing" pole. Add some toys for batting around, such as
small stuffed animals or balls with bells in them.

You don't even need to spend money: Cats can be kept entertained with empty
boxes or shopping bags, corks from wine bottles or the tops of milk
containers.

Don't forget to jazz up the scent of toys with catnip or valeria, both of
which you can grow yourself, so you'll always have a fresh supply. And while
you're planting, be sure to keep fresh grasses growing for your cat's
nibbling pleasure.

You can also work on ways to give your cat safe access to the outdoors, such
as with a cat door into a screened-in porch.

You can also buy kits for portable outdoor pens, completed with tunnels for
connecting to the house. I know of several people who have put together some
grand outdoor spaces, including a two-story enclosure clinging to the side
of the house with areas for climbing, sunbathing and hiding. These needn't
be expensive, especially if you're a capable do-it-yourselfer.

Yes, it's hard to convert a free-roaming cat to a life indoors. If your cat
is used to coming and going when he pleases, conversion is best done when
you move, rather than suddenly restricting your cat's territory - a change
no self-respecting cat will quietly accept. But if you're patient and firm,
even the most stubborn of cats will eventually adapt.

When my friends tell me they simply cannot keep their cats inside, I say
this: The next time one of your free-roaming cats disappears, promise me
that the next one will be kept safe inside.

Just try it, and see how it works.

Whatever a cat loses by not roaming free he'll gain from the pleasures you
can pack in your home. And he'll really benefit from the long, healthy life
enjoyed by so many indoor cats.

THE SCOOP

Over the long haul, you're going to have very little success doing anything
your cat doesn't want you to do, and you should always keep this in mind
when trying to brush your cat.

Still, you'd be surprised at what some cats are willing to put up with. Show
cats, for example, are conditioned to tolerate a great deal of grooming,
traveling and handling by strangers - and with very little fuss. That's what
they're used to, after all, and the show life is the only one they've known.

Although your cat may never display the confidence and outgoing temperament
of a seasoned show cat, you can do a lot to help him learn to enjoy regular
brushing. Here's how:

* Go slowly. Introduce new routines a little bit at a time and build up your
cat's tolerance over time. Be positive! Grooming is good time spent
together.

* Give yourself a fresh start. If you have longhaired cat who's matted,
arrange to have him shaved by a groomer so you don't start out your
relationship by jerking on your cat's fur as you struggle to remove mats.
Sure, the cat will look funny, but the coat grows back quickly. And by the
time it does, your cat will be more used to being gently groomed.

* Reward your cat. Use treats, praise and gentle petting to encourage your
cat's cooperation. You can't make a cat do anything he doesn't want to, so
praise is the only way to go.

* Know when to call it a day. You'll do better if you stop before your cat
becomes impatient, annoyed or afraid, but if you miss the signs - or feel
yourself becoming cross - taper off quickly and end the session on a note of
praise and petting. If you've really blown it, just let go. Try again a few
hours later or another day.

Never try to hold onto an angry or frightened cat. Failure to respect a
cat's temper or fear can result in your being badly bitten or clawed.

--?
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old November 14th 04, 05:45 PM
Mary

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Since you have to 'subscribe' to their web service, I will post it he

Behind closed doors is tougher
The Pet Connection
by Gina Spadework
November 14, 2004

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sto...1100286160.sto

You don't even need to spend money: Cats can be kept entertained with

empty
boxes or shopping bags, corks from wine bottles or the tops of milk
containers.

Every night we have Kitty Olympics. I have a long hallway to the front door.
Cheeky and Buddha gather at the kitchen end and wait. Then comes the
laser pointer. Buddha enjoys just batting at it, but Cheeks whirls and leaps
like a monkey. The game that has developed is that I race it down the hall
at just the right pace, and then UP the door, and she chases it and LEAPS
halfway or better up the door. BONK. Last night her best was an 8.5--
nearly 3/4s to the top.

Old November 14th 04, 06:13 PM
Pat

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Since you have to 'subscribe' to their web service, I will post it he

Behind closed doors is tougher

The best thing about indoor cats aside from their saftely from danger is the
safety the local birds and chipmunks enjoy!

Old November 14th 04, 11:29 PM
polonca12000

This is great advice! Soncek seems to be happy to be an inside-only kitty,
but since his kitten-hood was spent among elementary school children who
were mean to his littermates and his mommie, this is hardly surprising. I
think that in a perfect world kitties would be able to go wherever they
wished and be safe, but in this world unfortunately they aren't.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
Since you have to 'subscribe' to their web service, I will post it he

Behind closed doors is tougher
The Pet Connection
by Gina Spadework
November 14, 2004

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sto...1100286160.sto

Can indoor cats really be happy?

Cat lovers can - and do - maintain vehemently opposed opinions on this
issue. But you can't disagree with the fact that the free-roaming life can
be dangerous for a cat.

snip

Old November 15th 04, 04:07 PM
Sherry

This is great advice! Soncek seems to be happy to be an inside-only kitty,
but since his kitten-hood was spent among elementary school children who
were mean to his littermates and his mommie, this is hardly surprising. I
think that in a perfect world kitties would be able to go wherever they
wished and be safe, but in this world unfortunately they aren't.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Soncek is a smart kitty. He knows the great OUT sometimes isn't what it's
cracked up to be. Biskit also wants nothing to do with it.

Sherry

Old November 16th 04, 01:18 AM
Enfilade

Yes, it's hard to convert a free-roaming cat to a life indoors. If your cat
is used to coming and going when he pleases, conversion is best done when
you move, rather than suddenly restricting your cat's territory - a change
no self-respecting cat will quietly accept. But if you're patient and firm,
even the most stubborn of cats will eventually adapt.

Smokey sez "Self respect is totally overrated, dude. Outside SUCKS."

The Bits have never been outside except on leash since they were 3
weeks old. Nocturne prefers the bed far more to the filthy, smelly
outside, and as for Smokey, he's afraid of an open window, lest
outside come in and get him, and take him back to the place with no
food.

--Fil