(OT) Credit Cards

Old April 3rd 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default (OT) Credit Cards

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I was on the phone arguing with Chase Bank this morning. That's the credit
card I was using to pay all of Persia's vet bills. I have never used it
for anything else. I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying they'd
lowered my credit limit based on my "usage". Um, excuse me, it's based on
the fact that I'm *not* a slacker who racks up interest and late fees by
making minimum payments. I pay the bill in full every month.

Banks and credit card companies these days don't reward good solid
customers. They welcome deadbeats who can't pay their bills. They
welcome people who think nothing of going 30, 60, 90 days past the due
date. Because these cards are raking in money in late fees and exhorbitant
interest.

Sorry, I'm not one of those people. I paid the bill in full, cut up the
card and closed the account. Screw you people. Your bank will never
darken my door again. Usurers!

Jill

I understand completely, Jill. Capitol One hasn't done that to me yet, but
if and when they do, my response will be the same. I use my credit card as
a convenience, and because I get frequent flyer miles when I use it. I have
no debts, and keep it that way. I haven't had any debts I didn't pay within
30 days of accruing them since I paid off my house 20 years ago.

Joy

Old April 3rd 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Stormmee" wrote in message
best thing we ever did was get ri of all credit cards. Lee

Unfortunately, not all places take checks. And I'm not inclined to walk
around with a lot of cash in my wallet.

Jill

Can you have a debit card instead? That extracts money straight out of
your bank account and most places take them, including my vet.
I don't have a credit card, never have done, but I use my debit card all
the time.

I would also be a bad credit risk because I owe nothing, the cc companies
like to see you are reliably paying debts back to judge your
creditworthiness.
If you fall outside those norms of living above income, paying on credit
cards until you get paid again to pay off your card and so on ad
infinitum, well, that's just weird ;-) or so they think.
I do still have a cheque book, I pay my log supplier with it and a couple
of other small businesses, but most have the little thingie machine that
enables them to take a debit card. There is talk here of phasing cheque
books out entirely soon.
Tweed

I write two or three checks a month. I use my credit card anywhere I spend
more than $5, and pay my bills electronically. I still need checks for my
gardener, my church and Toastmasters, but that's it.

Joy

Old April 3rd 10, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Apr 3, 8:41 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

Banks and credit card companies these days don't reward good solid
customers. They welcome deadbeats who can't pay their bills. They welcome
people who think nothing of going 30, 60, 90 days past the due date.
Because these cards are raking in money in late fees and exhorbitant
interest.

Same here- I have 2 credit cards and they don't like me,,,,,I sometimes
them use for - to put something on my debit card might leave me short
until payday but I know I can clear the credit card on payday and thus not
pay a penny in interest...they hate me- I don't pay a penny in interest
(In fact when I haven't used my card much this month but for whatever
reason I'm anticipating having to spend more next month I sometimes
overpay and end up making interest from them)..They keep upping my credit
limit in the vague hope I might suddenly spend a lot on a plasma TV or
something but I've never been remotely near my credit limit...

I like the idea that somewhere some credit card people are grinding
their teeth about me!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

One of my cards is like that...seldom used and always paid off within a few
days, they kept increasing the credit limit and would "congratulate" me.
Then, this month, I received a note that they are now going to charge a fee
of $60.00 per year. The fee will be refunded if I charge a minimum of $2400
per year ("only" $200 per month, they say).

We used to be advised to cancel cards that we don't need. Now, we're told
that our credit rating will be negatively impacted if we *do* cancel cards!

MaryL

Old April 3rd 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA[_3_]

3.4.2010 19:55, Christina Websell kirjoitti:
wrote in message
wrote in message
[...]

Checks aren't used... or are practically not used at all in Finland
anymore, with the exception of some competition winnings or some such
special occasion, not on a daily and personal basis. People mostly use
debit cards and credit cards, or cash, of course. I seldom have any cash
in my wallet.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 3rd 10, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

Times have certainly changed. 30, 40 years ago you had to beg for credit.
Especially if you were a woman. Now they cut your credit if you don't spend
enough and maintain a good credit score. Guess what? I'm not going on a
spending spree and paying in increments so you guys can stay in business!

Jill

Old April 4th 10, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

I know. Sometimes you can't win. A couple of years ago, some friends of my
sister couldn't get a loan to buy a house because they owned several credit
cards. They didn't owe anything on them, but that was considered "potential
debt". Since cancelling cards hurts your credit, they were out of luck.
I'm lucky that, at my age, I don't need credit. I own my house free and
clear, and my 2000 Toyota Corolla only has 57,000 miles on it. Considering
that my 1986 Corolla had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it, and I've cut
down considerably on my driving, I figure that, by the time my current car
isn't fit to drive, I won't be either. The credit card is a convenience,
but if they start charging me for it, I'll give it up and use my debit card
instead.

Joy

Old April 4th 10, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

What I hate is the guff you get if you don't use your card for a year. They
lower your amount and you can be charged a fee.

Old April 4th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

*************

Don't worry too much about the poor credit card companies. They get
a percentage of every purchase you charge to your card. They make
plenty before you get into the interest they charge.

I personally won't use a debit card. I do have and use an ATM card.
The difference is I have to enter a pass code in order to use the
ATM card. I only use it at the grocery store and sometimes to get
cash as the bank.

I don't care for the way debit cards are linked directly to your
checking account. If there is a mistake it can leave you in a very
vulnerable position until it is sorted out.

I also check the balances on my credit cards and checking account
frequently online rather than wait for the statement to arrive. I
pay everything either with a credit card or online and sometimes go
months without writing a check.

Jo

Old April 4th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christine BA wrote:
Checks aren't used... or are practically not used at all in Finland
anymore, with the exception of some competition winnings or some such
special occasion, not on a daily and personal basis. People mostly use
debit cards and credit cards, or cash, of course. I seldom have any cash
in my wallet.

I never have cash, either. I use my debit card, or pay online. I've
never used checks. I think I last saw a check sometime in the early '80s.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.