(OT) Bit of Excitement Here! (Freak-out Warning)

Old April 28th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default (OT) Bit of Excitement Here! (Freak-out Warning)

DH & I were using an old pair of jumper cables to give our decrepit riding
mower a boost at starting - before I clamped the jumper cables on, I saw
something shiny & black *inside* the large alligator-jaw like clamp,
looked closer.

It moved!

SPIDER (arachnaphobes, discontinue reading NOW). A black, shiny spider
with 3 red dots on its back. means one thing to me: BLACK WIDOW SPIDER.

It was 6 inches from my hand.

Not for long.

DH gave me a disgusted look when I damn near threw the jumper cables on
the ground and said there's a black widow spider inside it. He didn't
believe me. He had to look for himself.

Heh.

With the aid of a long stick, we got the spider out/off the jumper cables
and into a jar for safe keeping while we proceeded to mow the lawn before
it rained. Then we took pictures of our, err, friend and re-released her
into the depths of the back corner of our garage.

Among the last pictures we took of her, she is heading back toward the
jumper cables.

We made note to buy new jumper cables before we mow again :~/

Pictures he

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...Kzryef?start=0

--

^..^ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.

--

The ONE and ONLY

former-blonde

in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old April 28th 09, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

DH & I were using an old pair of jumper cables to give our decrepit
riding mower a boost at starting - before I clamped the jumper cables
on, I saw something shiny & black *inside* the large alligator-jaw
like clamp, looked closer.

It moved!

SPIDER (arachnaphobes, discontinue reading NOW). A black, shiny spider
with 3 red dots on its back. means one thing to me: BLACK WIDOW
SPIDER.

*ewwww* I woulda thrown that thing as far as I could!

Although I do think red back spiders (which are *surely* a relation of your
black widow, because their shape is the same and we also have a red 'stripe'
on the back rather than red dots) are one of the prettiest spiders, as
spiders go :-)

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old April 28th 09, 02:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

DH & I were using an old pair of jumper cables to give our decrepit riding
mower a boost at starting - before I clamped the jumper cables on, I saw
something shiny & black *inside* the large alligator-jaw like clamp,
looked closer.

It moved!

SPIDER (arachnaphobes, discontinue reading NOW). A black, shiny spider
with 3 red dots on its back. means one thing to me: BLACK WIDOW SPIDER.

I didn't even know you had black widows in Indiana. I thought they lived
mainly out west in the US.

It was 6 inches from my hand.

If you're an arachnophobe, this information may not help. But if you're
not and you were just scared because they're venomous, then let me assure
you that people generally do not die from black widow bites, unless they
don't bother to get treatment for it - in which case they might get sick.
I have heard that it hurts like hell, though, so you were smart to avoid
that!

With the aid of a long stick, we got the spider out/off the jumper cables
and into a jar for safe keeping while we proceeded to mow the lawn before
it rained. Then we took pictures of our, err, friend and re-released her
into the depths of the back corner of our garage.

OK, wait. I've gotta ask you this. You put it back in your garage?? Why
didn't you release it *outside*? Did you become fond of it or something?

Pictures he
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5...Kzryef?start=0

Kind of cool-looking, actually. Very graceful-looking long legs. Not that
I'd want to meet up with one in my house or anything!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old April 28th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

wrote in message
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

[...]

I wasn't taking any chances - I know they're poisonous, so I kewpt my
distance.

With the aid of a long stick, we got the spider out/off the jumper
cables
and into a jar for safe keeping while we proceeded to mow the lawn
before
it rained. Then we took pictures of our, err, friend and re-released
her
into the depths of the back corner of our garage.

OK, wait. I've gotta ask you this. You put it back in your garage?? Why
didn't you release it *outside*? Did you become fond of it or something?

It was IN the garage (which is NOT attached to our house, but seperated by
a good 50+/- yards) so it stayed IN the garage. Plus, they eat other,
more pesky, insects.

Old April 28th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

DH & I were using an old pair of jumper cables to give our decrepit
riding mower a boost at starting - before I clamped the jumper cables
on, I saw something shiny & black *inside* the large alligator-jaw
like clamp, looked closer.

It moved!

SPIDER (arachnaphobes, discontinue reading NOW). A black, shiny spider
with 3 red dots on its back. means one thing to me: BLACK WIDOW
SPIDER.

*ewwww* I woulda thrown that thing as far as I could!

Thought crossed my mind, but DH was holding the other end of the jumper
cables.

Although I do think red back spiders (which are *surely* a relation of
your black widow, because their shape is the same and we also have a red
'stripe' on the back rather than red dots) are one of the prettiest
spiders, as spiders go :-)

Your Aussie Redbacks are in the same family as our Black Widows, just
slightly different markings.

Yowie

Old April 28th 09, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

IMHO You should have sent it to spider heaven. They are nothing to mess

with and they multiply very fast. The summer I was 17 I killed 28 of
them in our garage. I hate them! MLB

Old April 28th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

DH & I were using an old pair of jumper cables to give our decrepit
riding mower a boost at starting - before I clamped the jumper
cables
on, I saw something shiny & black *inside* the large alligator-jaw
like clamp, looked closer.

It moved!

SPIDER (arachnaphobes, discontinue reading NOW). A black, shiny
spider
with 3 red dots on its back. means one thing to me: BLACK WIDOW
SPIDER.

*ewwww* I woulda thrown that thing as far as I could!

Although I do think red back spiders (which are *surely* a relation
of your black widow, because their shape is the same and we also
have a red 'stripe' on the back rather than red dots) are one of the
prettiest spiders, as spiders go :-)

We have black widows here. The neighborhood used to be a walnut
orchard, and the spiders are pretty much a given. Our house is build
on a foundation rather than a slab and I know they are under the
house. Not a bad thing, they kill insects. As long as they stay in
their place and we stay out of it. They are pretty if you are looking
at them through glass. Not so much face to face. Largely because
even as spiders go they are aggressive. Touch their web and they come
after you rather than avoid you.

Jo

Old April 28th 09, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
[...]

I'm so glad that neither you or the spider was hurt.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old April 28th 09, 10:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl

[...]

Ewww... I HATE spiders!

As an aside, webshots just slammed me and I wonder if they're infected, or
if I am? It started opening a ton of new tabs in my browser with images and
wouldn't stop doing it. I had to kill IE. Yes, IE. So probably me.
*sigh*

Old April 29th 09, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine BA

Cheryl kirjoitti:

Ewww... I HATE spiders!

As an aside, webshots just slammed me and I wonder if they're infected,
or if I am? It started opening a ton of new tabs in my browser with
images and wouldn't stop doing it. I had to kill IE. Yes, IE. So
probably me. *sigh*

I've had this tab-opening-thingy on FF, but that's...oh...more than a
year ago by now... Can't remember what I did with it except run all
possible anti-spyware and antivirus programs on the comp...

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com