Might Disappear for a bit (OT)

Old December 30th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Might Disappear for a bit (OT)

Not my fault, Microsoft's fault. I wanted to install an upgrade to a music
player but didn't have SP2 installed. So I went to the MS website.
Installation got 85% done then it said something was missing and shut down
and rebooted my PC. When it came back my connection icons had been wiped
out.

Meanwhile, my ISP had sent me a new modem with a note indicating my DSL
equipment was out of date. So I figured this was as good a time as any to
install that. Except... the red DSL cable which is supposed to connect to
the filter on the phone jack won't reach from the modem to the jack. I was
on the phone with tech support and I admit I got a bit rude with the guy.
When I told him it won't reach he said, "Don't you have another phone cord
you could attach to it?" UH, yeah, but all my phone cords are male-to-male
connections, not male-to-female, I can't connect the two. "Then I don't
know what to tell you, ma'am." OH GREAT, thanks bunches.

I'm not sure why this new modem requires a red, yellow and blue cable
anyway. I feel like you have to be a member of the bomb squad to deal with
it. Careful, NO, NOT THE BLUE ONE!! LOL

Fortunately I hooked my old modem back up (one USB cable in the back of the
PC, plug the phone cable directly in, simple). My connection re-established
automatically. I still don't have icons and can't for the life of me find
the software for the old modem but at least I'm here. Unfortunately it's
running about the speed of old dial-up.

Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out WTF I'm supposed to do with this new
modem if the DSL cable won't reach the phone jack filter. I'm on hold
(again) with my ISP.

Life's Lesson: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I didn't need the latest
version of this music thing to listen to CD's and I sure didn't need this
"new and improved modem" headache.

Happy New Year and purrs for everyone who needs them. Don't know why but
purrs seem to be required more often around the holidays.

Jill

Old December 30th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Are you using XP? If so, you could use System Restore to revert to your
previous settings. You would not lose any data, but you *would lose any
programs* that were installed after the date of the restore point you select
(and that would probably include the new DSL settings, but you indicated
problems with that anyway). Also, you can also "undo" the System Restore
you selected.

MaryL

Old December 31st 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

"Gandalf" wrote in message

I shouldn't HAVE to buy connectors... it was their idea that I upgrade, not
mine.

Old December 31st 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

What did you do with your previous line cord, couldn't you use that in place
of the new one? Every modem or router I've seen has a female socket for the
line cord.

When I installed SP2 I ordered the CD free from the microsoft website.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old December 31st 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Adrian A wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I just opted to not install SP2. I'm still on the very original SP1 and it
works fine. I have control over it, I use my own firewall, antivirus,
antispyware and pop-up blocker. Works for me and I have no problems other
than an occasional reformat to unclog my hard drive.

kili

Old January 1st 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:30:03 -0600, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

As far as connecting the phone line, you can buy a male to male
connector many places Radio shack (expensive). I've found building
supply stores (the big ones like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc. )
always have a section for phone connection stuff, and video connection
stuff. Much cheaper than Radio Shack (depending on how far you have to
drive, I guess. ) They cost about $2, or less. A simple tan block with
two male female connectors. HTH.
Old January 1st 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"jmcquown" wrote:
Meanwhile, my ISP had sent me a new modem with a note indicating my DSL
equipment was out of date. So I figured this was as good a time as any to
install that. Except... the red DSL cable which is supposed to connect to
the filter on the phone jack won't reach from the modem to the jack. I was
on the phone with tech support and I admit I got a bit rude with the guy.
When I told him it won't reach he said, "Don't you have another phone cord
you could attach to it?" UH, yeah, but all my phone cords are male-to-male
connections, not male-to-female, I can't connect the two. "Then I don't
know what to tell you, ma'am." OH GREAT, thanks bunches.

It's too bad we're not neighbors. I have a homosexual phone jack
connector that I don't use anymore, since the Internet service is
cable, and phone service is cellular. I hope you'll be able to get on
with the faster connection soon.

Old January 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

"kilikini" wrote in message

Sorry, everything is screwed up including my ability to quote text. Thanks
a lot, Microsoft! I needed to upgrade to SP2 to install a music program so
I can listen to CD's. I think I'll just buy a boom box instead. G BTW,
I'm STILL on hold with these people at BellSouth about this friggin' modem!
Happy New Year

Jill