Hunting purrs needed

Old April 10th 05, 05:28 PM
Pat

Default Hunting purrs needed

There's a big snapping turtle in the pond where Abelard plays with frogs. I
want to scoop it up with a big flat shovel and relocate it, so there's no
chance of an accident, but it hasn't come out of the water long enough yet.
This turtle's head is almost as big as a cat's head....

Old April 10th 05, 06:52 PM
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
There's a big snapping turtle in the pond where Abelard plays with
frogs. I want to scoop it up with a big flat shovel and relocate it,
so there's no chance of an accident, but it hasn't come out of the
water long enough yet. This turtle's head is almost as big as a cat's
head....

Good luck (and to where would you relocate it?).

Jill

Old April 10th 05, 07:24 PM
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:

There's a big snapping turtle in the pond where Abelard plays with frogs. I
want to scoop it up with a big flat shovel and relocate it, so there's no
chance of an accident, but it hasn't come out of the water long enough yet.
This turtle's head is almost as big as a cat's head....

LOL! It's always something in your neighborhood. It is true that
snapping turtles are dangerous. They're awfully aggressive towards
anything that moves, and when they fight each other, it's fatal - the
one that loses is the one that keeps its head. Around here, rangers
will shoot the large ones.

Old April 10th 05, 07:26 PM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:28:15 -0500, Pat wrote:

There's a big snapping turtle in the pond where Abelard plays with frogs.
I want to scoop it up with a big flat shovel and relocate it, so there's
no chance of an accident, but it hasn't come out of the water long enough
yet. This turtle's head is almost as big as a cat's head....

Perhaps you could rent or borrow a large fishing net. Pool supply
companies might have them. MLB
Old April 10th 05, 08:01 PM
jmcquown

Takayuki wrote:
"Pat" wrote:

There's a big snapping turtle in the pond where Abelard plays with
frogs. I want to scoop it up with a big flat shovel and relocate it,
so there's no chance of an accident, but it hasn't come out of the
water long enough yet. This turtle's head is almost as big as a
cat's head....

LOL! It's always something in your neighborhood. It is true that
snapping turtles are dangerous. They're awfully aggressive towards
anything that moves, and when they fight each other, it's fatal - the
one that loses is the one that keeps its head. Around here, rangers
will shoot the large ones.

Do I always have to mention cooking? Yep My father told me when he was
a boy he and his dad would catch snapping turtles in the creek near their
house and make turtle soup. Now, I happen to *love* turtle soup but I don't
think they use home-caught snapping turtles to make it.

Jill

Old April 10th 05, 08:17 PM
Pat

"jmcquown" wrote

(and to where would you relocate it?).

The nearby creek, probably.

Old April 10th 05, 08:18 PM
Pat

"Takayuki" wrote

Around here, rangers will shoot the large ones.

Around here, these are an endangered species.

Old April 10th 05, 08:21 PM
Pat

"mlbriggs" wrote

Perhaps you could rent or borrow a large fishing net. Pool supply
companies might have them.

No such place within at least an hour's drive of me, and possibly not within
200 miles. I have the big flat shovel and an empty barrel ready, so, with
you guys purring for the turtle to show itself to me....

Old April 10th 05, 09:09 PM
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
There's a big snapping turtle in the pond where Abelard plays with frogs.
want to scoop it up with a big flat shovel and relocate it, so there's no
chance of an accident, but it hasn't come out of the water long enough
yet.
This turtle's head is almost as big as a cat's head....

Lots of luck catching it, but please be very careful. Promise? You need
your fingers.

Tweed

Old April 10th 05, 09:31 PM
Pat

"Christina Websell" wrote

Lots of luck catching it, but please be very careful. Promise? You need
your fingers.

The shovel handle is much longer than my fingers

Thanks for your concern.