Ping: Sherry (OT - turtle)

Old June 6th 04, 08:45 AM
MaryL

Default Ping: Sherry (OT - turtle)

Sherry,

Did you ever get an answer to your question about the turtle that was
burrowing in th armadillo hole? Or, did it move on without any help (as I
suspect)?
--
MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Holly and Duffy:
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old June 6th 04, 01:48 PM
Sherry

Sherry,

Did you ever get an answer to your question about the turtle that was
burrowing in th armadillo hole?

Mr. Turtle stayed stuck in that hole for four days, right in the sun, in the 97
degree heat. The top of his shell was exposed and AFAIK, never came out for
food or water. I was afraid he was going to bake, starve and die. Using the
Steve Irwin method, I would just pester it every once in a while, tap on its
shell, spray it lightly when I was outside watering the flowers to see if it
wiggled. One day it just came out and trudged off. Haven't seen it since.
Sherry

Old June 6th 04, 03:36 PM
MaryL

"Sherry " wrote in message
Sherry,

Did you ever get an answer to your question about the turtle that was
burrowing in th armadillo hole?

Mr. Turtle stayed stuck in that hole for four days, right in the sun, in

the 97
degree heat. The top of his shell was exposed and AFAIK, never came out

for
food or water. I was afraid he was going to bake, starve and die. Using

the
Steve Irwin method, I would just pester it every once in a while, tap on

its
shell, spray it lightly when I was outside watering the flowers to see if

it
wiggled. One day it just came out and trudged off. Haven't seen it since.
Sherry

LOL! Ain't nature grand?!

MaryL

Old June 6th 04, 07:00 PM
Steve Touchstone

On 06 Jun 2004 12:48:06 GMT, itty (Sherry ) wrote:

Sherry,

Did you ever get an answer to your question about the turtle that was
burrowing in th armadillo hole?

Mr. Turtle stayed stuck in that hole for four days, right in the sun, in the 97
degree heat. The top of his shell was exposed and AFAIK, never came out for
food or water. I was afraid he was going to bake, starve and die. Using the
Steve Irwin method, I would just pester it every once in a while, tap on its
shell, spray it lightly when I was outside watering the flowers to see if it
wiggled. One day it just came out and trudged off. Haven't seen it since.
Sherry

Probably thought he had found a cool spot to wait out the heat wave.
Then decided to move on since the crazy hoomin kept pestering him LOL

When I was a kid, in the 60s, we had a California desert tortoise. Not
a good thing I know, I think they're a protected species now, but back
then no one knew any better. In fact, one of the elementary school
teachers at the school across the street from where we lived had him
in the classroom and gave him to us at the end of the school year.

During the hot Bakersfield, California, summer, when highs in the 100s
are not uncommon, he would spent days on end in a burrow he dug in the
back yard.

We didn't actually keep him very long, since it drove Bobo, the
dachshund, crazy. Bobo ignored the tortoise when it was out of its
hole, but his instinct told him he was supposed to go down into holes
to hunt; here was a hole with a critter inside; and the hoomins got
mad when he went in after the critter. We tried to rig it so that Bobo
couldn't get into the hole, but of course Bobo figured out how to get
around any and all of our obstacles. We ended up giving the tortoise
to one of my brother's friends after a few weeks.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: