Have a look at this

Old December 13th 13, 09:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Have a look at this

"Bastette" wrote in message
Takayuki wrote:

On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 23:57:02 +0000 (UTC), Bastette

wrote:
dgk wrote:
Chicken rude and unreasonable

I think the person who wrote the comments for each picture got it
right -
it was probably meant to say "jerk chicken," LOL.

That's an interesting insight - but that means that they translated it
from
English to Chinese to English!?

Maybe it was different people? One person translated "jerk chicken"
incorrectly
to "rude and unreasonable chicken" in Chinese, and then later, whoever
made
the sign, translated the Chinese back to English, correctly? I don't know.

No need to overthink it. It was supposed to make you laugh.

Old December 14th 13, 01:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote:
dgk wrote:
Chicken rude and unreasonable

I think the person who wrote the comments for each picture got it
right -
it was probably meant to say "jerk chicken," LOL.

That's an interesting insight - but that means that they translated it
from
English to Chinese to English!?

Maybe it was different people? One person translated "jerk chicken"
incorrectly
to "rude and unreasonable chicken" in Chinese, and then later, whoever
made
the sign, translated the Chinese back to English, correctly? I don't know.

No need to overthink it. It was supposed to make you laugh.

True. Except it's a real sign somewhat. One assumes, anyway.

--
Joyce

Something you'll never hear an 8-year-old say:

"Nana, will you spit on your hankie and wipe the gravy off my face?"
Old December 14th 13, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Bastette wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote:
dgk wrote:
Chicken rude and unreasonable

I think the person who wrote the comments for each picture got it
right -
it was probably meant to say "jerk chicken," LOL.

That's an interesting insight - but that means that they translated it
from
English to Chinese to English!?

Maybe it was different people? One person translated "jerk chicken"
incorrectly
to "rude and unreasonable chicken" in Chinese, and then later, whoever
made
the sign, translated the Chinese back to English, correctly? I don't know.

No need to overthink it. It was supposed to make you laugh.

True. Except it's a real sign somewhat. One assumes, anyway.

Ahem. "...it's a real sign *somewhere*." But you probably figured that out
already.

--
Joyce

We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis
Old December 14th 13, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 18:29:16 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Dunno. I tried google translation once into German for Nüle. Just to say
I'd have an attempt. she fell about laughing. Lovely mother, who I've met
(who doesn't speak English) has also tried translation services from her to
me. Incomprehensible.

That makes me think that maybe the sign language translator at Nelson
Mandela's memorial service actually works for Google.

Old December 15th 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

news
wrote:
dgk wrote:
Chicken rude and unreasonable

I think the person who wrote the comments for each picture got it right -
it was probably meant to say "jerk chicken," LOL.

That's an interesting insight - but that means that they translated it
from
English to Chinese to English!?

Dunno. I tried google translation once into German for Nüle. Just to say
I'd have an attempt. she fell about laughing. Lovely mother, who I've met
(who doesn't speak English) has also tried translation services from her to
me. Incomprehensible.

~~~~~~~
My roommate when I was an undergraduate was a Fulbright Scholar from
Germany. I tried to say a sentence to her in German, and she broke out
laughing. I had said exactly the opposite of what I intended.

MaryL

Old December 15th 13, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:35:07 -0600, MaryL wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

news

-
it was probably meant to say "jerk chicken," LOL.

That's an interesting insight - but that means that they translated it
from English to Chinese to English!?

Dunno. I tried google translation once into German for Nüle. Just to
say I'd have an attempt. she fell about laughing. Lovely mother, who
I've met (who doesn't speak English) has also tried translation services
from her to me. Incomprehensible.

~~~~~~~
My roommate when I was an undergraduate was a Fulbright Scholar from
Germany. I tried to say a sentence to her in German, and she broke out
laughing. I had said exactly the opposite of what I intended.

MaryL

If you really want to see hilarious results, try putting a phrase through
several successive translation steps, ending up translating back to the
original language. It makes the parlor game of "telephone" (where a
succession of people whisper a phrase to each other) seem perfectly
straightforward by comparison.

--
John F. Eldredge --
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Old December 16th 13, 01:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

If you really want to see hilarious results, try putting a phrase through
several successive translation steps, ending up translating back to the
original language. It makes the parlor game of "telephone" (where a
succession of people whisper a phrase to each other) seem perfectly
straightforward by comparison.

You might be surprised. I once tried throwing an appalling chunk
of bureaucratic boilerplate at Google, getting it to first translate
it into Georgian, then Georgian to Portuguese, then Portuguese to
Filipino, then back to English. The result was hardly mangled at
all. From which I concluded that bureaucratese gobbledygook is
the true secret inner language of humanity.

Old December 16th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 01:26:24 +0000, Jack Campin wrote:

If you really want to see hilarious results, try putting a phrase
through several successive translation steps, ending up translating
back to the original language. It makes the parlor game of "telephone"
(where a succession of people whisper a phrase to each other) seem
perfectly straightforward by comparison.

You might be surprised. I once tried throwing an appalling chunk of
bureaucratic boilerplate at Google, getting it to first translate it
into Georgian, then Georgian to Portuguese, then Portuguese to Filipino,
then back to English. The result was hardly mangled at all. From which
I concluded that bureaucratese gobbledygook is the true secret inner
language of humanity.

Or, one could conclude that bureaucratese gobbledygook is already mangled.

Old December 16th 13, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Bastette" wrote in message
Bastette wrote:

Christina Websell wrote:

wrote:
dgk wrote:
[...]

Yes. I liked it and I hoped everyone would.