Neighbor Dropped By...

Old March 17th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Neighbor Dropped By...

Last night to check on Mom. This is the woman who kindly offered me the use
of her computer before I got this one. She also has two black kitties,
Fetters and Schwartzy. I've only ever seen Schwartzy from a distance; he's
very shy. She was just checking in to make sure we're doing okay. But she
had to bring up how much I must be missing Persia. Of course I am! I can't
wait to get back home and rescue her from being boarded!

So I asked Mom last night, when I come back you won't mind me bringing
Persia? She said, "Of course not." (My brother can take care of Peaches; I
can't imagine driving 12-13 hours with both a parrot and a cat.) I said,
"She might jump up on the bed with you." She said, "She'd better not!"
Well, then she'll have to keep her bedroom door shut. Persia likes to
wander around and I can't guarantee she won't wind up next to Mom unless she
keeps her door shut, which she doesn't.

Now, where to put the litter box? The laundry room would work but Mom has a
habit of closing the door - can't do that!!! But if it's open you can't get
into the pantry. (I despise bi-fold doors and these are positioned so as to
block egress when open.) And where to put her food bowl? She's used to
eating in the foyer, which in my house is right by the kitchen. There's not
a wall in or near this kitchen that would easily accomodate her food bowl.
Hmmm. She is also used to having her Drinkwell fountain in my bedroom.
There's no plug (or wall) handy for that. Who designed this house?! It's
sadly lacking in electrical outlets.

This is definitely not a Persia-friendly house.

Jill
--
Being a cat means never having to say thank you.

Old March 17th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Mar 17, 6:03*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Is there a bathroom, or bedroom that no one uses? I've seen these tri-
fold "kitty screens" designed
to hide a litterbox, so anyone walking by wouldn't see it. I bet
Persian will be so glad to be with
you she won't care about location.
This house has a sad lack of outlets, too. I think it was the era in
which it was built. Not so many
things to plug in back then.

Sherry
Old March 17th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Sherry wrote:
[...]

Bathrooms are the problem. The 2nd bathroom, which was Dad's, is tiny. No
place to walk, let alone put a litter box or food bowl and fountain. She
*could* live without the fountain, I suppose. But uprooting her temporarily
will be traumatic enough. I'd like her to feel at home, you know?

Mom's bathroom (the "master" bath) is separated into two areas. There's the
area with the double sinks, which is where the electrical outlets are. But
there's no place for a litter box or bowls. The area where the tub and
toilet is is huge (wasted space!) and tiled. But no electrical outlets in
there! Combine this with the fact that it adjoins her bedroom and she
doesn't want Persia sneaking up to sleep with her... it just won't work.

I may have to take the darned bi-fold door off the laundry room so she
wouldn't keep shutting it. It's inside, and not close to the garage so
Persia wouldn't be tempted to sneak out. With a little shuffling of things
and the door removed I could make it work

Jill

Old March 17th 08, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Mar 17, 6:03*am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Last night to check on Mom. *This is the woman who kindly offered me the use
of her computer before I got this one. *She also has two black kitties,
Fetters and Schwartzy. *I've only ever seen Schwartzy from a distance; he's
very shy. *She was just checking in to make sure we're doing okay. *But she
had to bring up how much I must be missing Persia. *Of course I am! *I can't
wait to get back home and rescue her from being boarded!

So I asked Mom last night, when I come back you won't mind me bringing
Persia? She said, "Of course not." *...

Now, where to put the litter box? *....And where to put her food bowl? *She's used to
eating in the foyer, which in my house is right by the kitchen. *There's not
a wall in or near this kitchen that would easily accomodate her food bowl.
Hmmm. *She is also used to having her Drinkwell fountain in my bedroom.
There's no plug (or wall) handy for that. *Who designed this house?! *It's
sadly lacking in electrical outlets.

This is definitely not a Persia-friendly house.
Jill

Hi Jill,
We have found that cats can be much more adaptable than we expected.
In the last two years, Rosie and Cinder have transitioned from a house
to living and traveling on a boat, then an auto trip with nightly
motel room stops from the east coast (USA) to a tiny apartment in the
Northwest, then moved again by car with nighly motel room stops to
Texas, where we stayed temporarily at a friend's house, expecting to
return to the boat. Those plans, however were changed when we were
blindsided when the Grim Reaper snared Jim in his net, but decided to
let him go, but put an end to our traveling and living on a boat. So,
we and the cats moved to a little bit larger apartment here, and now
this month to yet another move when our lease ran out. We are hoping
to have a house built by the end of this year, for yet another move.

The cats were able to find the food and water without a problem, and
to their credit, they have shared a single litter box wherever we were
able to put it. One thing that helped them adapt was giving them a
convenient place to scratch. As long as the scratching post was
convenient, and they had food and water and a clean litter box, they
have been fine.

I think Persia will be happy to see you and will settle in.

Good luck and congratulations on your decision to bring her to you.

Annie

Old March 17th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm somehow sure you will figure it all out. I suspect you could move
mountains to have your girl with you.

(And I'm detecting a little ambivalence about you staying there aren't I?
Oh well, such is life.)

I do hope the two of you can be together soon. I even miss you being
together, so I can imagine you miss her like crazy.

Jo

Old March 17th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

So I asked Mom last night, when I come back you won't mind me bringing
Persia? She said, "Of course not."

[snip]

This is definitely not a Persia-friendly house.

I hope your mom knows to keep her indoors (and will be conscientious
about it)!

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 17th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Jo Firey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

This is definitely not a Persia-friendly house.

I'm somehow sure you will figure it all out. I suspect you could move
mountains to have your girl with you.

You betcha! I miss my snuggly love-bug terribly.

(And I'm detecting a little ambivalence about you staying there
aren't I? Oh well, such is life.)

You're absolutely right. It's sooooo boring here. When they moved here 20
years ago it wasn't intended to be a retirement community, but it's turned
into one. The population aged along with the trees. There's absolutely
nothing to do. I don't golf, although riding around in the golf cart is fun
for about 20 minutes. The nearest stores are 30 miles away. (10 if you find
the grocery store or Walgreen's exciting.) I love to read but all day every
day is a bit much! And I don't care what anyone says about cable TV, 80+
channels and there is *still* nothing on. Sheesh! At least if I had Persia
I could snuggle with her and look into her big green eyes I miss my
patio. The weather is perfect for sitting outside with Persia in her
kitty-walk and me with a book. But there's no patio furniture; I can't even
pretend. (sigh)

Jill
Jill

Old March 18th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

So I asked Mom last night, when I come back you won't mind me
bringing Persia? She said, "Of course not."

[snip]

This is definitely not a Persia-friendly house.

I hope your mom knows to keep her indoors (and will be conscientious
about it)!

Joyce

She knows Persia's an indoor kitty but that's another concern. Sometimes
she leaves the door open when she walks out to get the mail or if someone
comes to the door. One of the neighbor's cats walked in and took a tour
of the house one day while she was standing outside talking

What did she (the cat) think of it?

I'm sure your mother can learn to shut the door behind her. We shut the
door behind us whenever we go out, for no matter how short a time-- to get
mail, to take out the garbage, etc. She may even get to like Persia
jumping on the bed with her. Otherwise, she'll just have to keep her cool
and put Persia back down on the floor. I know you're worried by all these
changes, but you will feel so much better, and so will Persia. But it
certainly doesn't sound like an impossible situation. It doesn't sound
like your mom will have to make enormous changes, just little ones.
--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old March 18th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Kreisleriana wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message

I hope your mom knows to keep her indoors (and will be conscientious
about it)!

She knows Persia's an indoor kitty but that's another concern. Sometimes
she leaves the door open when she walks out to get the mail or if someone
comes to the door. One of the neighbor's cats walked in and took a tour
of the house one day while she was standing outside talking

I'm sure your mother can learn to shut the door behind her.

And while she's learning?

Several years ago I had two friends take care of my cats when I went out
of town. One day they were going out, and one of them stood in the doorway
with the door wide open, conversing with the other person. If you don't
have a cat who will run out the door the second your attention lapses,
that is not an unreasonable thing to do. But these two had visited me on
many occasions, and they *knew* how Smudge was, and they saw how careful
we had to be, not to let her slip out the door when coming and going. These
two were cat people and understood feline psychology pretty well, yet they
still managed to screw that up. (This was before I decided to let Smudge
have what she was clearly longing for.)

So of course Smudge got out, and they had to go out looking for her. She
had hidden herself under a car. They found her, but it took about 45 minutes
to shoo her out and grab her. Smudge was totally freaked that these more
or less strangers were pawing at her and she peed on one of my friends and
bit her hard (costing me some bucks for a doctor visit and antibiotics).

The moral being, even people who were aware of cat personalities, who lived
with cats, who knew *my* cat and had seen her in action, were still capable
of the attention lapse that allowed her to escape.

Now maybe Persia isn't quite as willful about getting out, which would
be a good thing. But keep an eye on her and on your mom!

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.