Aloha Folks!

Old January 24th 05, 04:51 AM
badwilson

"Yowie" wrote in message

Yeah, me too. Joel and I lived in partial sin (we were engaged to be
married) for 7 years, got married in the 8th year, and not because

The
Yowlet was on his way (we'd started marriage preps before the

presence of
hte Yowlet was known). Had a simple and sensible wedding at a local

beauty
spot (on top of Mt Keira), and buy-you-own-dinner-rather-than-gifts

meal at
the local Japanese restaurant.

Dennis and I lived in "sin" for just over a year. We actually moved
in together after only 4 months. It was mostly financial and
practical since we were constantly staying over at each other's place
anyway. Why waste money on 2 rents?
We went off to Australia and got married on the beach. We had a whole
month of holidaying in Australia and it still cost us less than a
regular wedding would have.

It still doesn't feel any different than when we weren't married.

The
commitment to each other is just the same, the only thing diferent

is now
that our material goods go automatically to each other in case of

death
rather than having to will it (it should do that in case of de-facto
marriages as well, but they can be disputed by other family members

more
easily)

For me, getting married changed things quite a bit. I just felt
closer to Dennis, more committed somehow. I'm not religious, but I
guess I'm just a romantic at heart ;-)

I kept my name (couldnt' see why I needed to change it), so Joel

changed his
surname to mine (he's had 3 already, whats the difference?).

I got rid of my maiden name immediately. In fact, I started the name
change before we were even married. I couldn't wait to get rid of my
maiden name. But then again I had an unpronouncable German name which
was just a huge PITA in every way.

I don't wear my rings on my finger unless I'm going out somewhere

special or
its one of those times where being obviously married is advantageous

because
quite frankly they drive me nuts. I take them off subconciously and

leave
them in stupid places without even realising I've removed them.

Sometiems I
wake up inthe morning and find htem scattered across my bedroom

floor - not
only have I taken them off in my sleep, I have *thrown* them off.

I have worn my rings for every minute of every day since we got
married. Well, that's not entirely true. After being the object of
close attention by a giant lone barracuda on a scuba trip in Bali in
2000, I have been removing my rings for diving. Barracudas are
attracted to shiny objects. I feel naked without my rings, they have
become part of me.
I am planning to have my ring set duplicated in white gold (with a
white sapphire instead of a diamond, much cheaper) because my yellow
gold ring clashes wtih the silver jewellery I always wear. My 9th
anniversary is coming up in a month, I think this would be a good
occasion to get a new ring ;-)
--
Britta
Sandpaper kisses, a cuddle and a purr. I have an alarm clock that's

Old January 26th 05, 12:05 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

[once again catching up on old posts]

On 2005-01-21, Cheryl Perkins penned:

Many people (not just children) are highly suspicious of and unhappy about
*any* relationship that includes 'online' in its description.

I remember thinking that my mom would be upset about the fact that I was
flying out to see a guy I'd met online. Instead, she was extremely happy for
me. I think she could tell, just from my voice, that this was something real.
The rest of my family was also supportive. Amazingly enough, no one minded
the internet aspect.

On DH's side of the family, they were also extremely supportive. His aunt
even asked how she could meet guys online =P (She works full time and, when
she gets home, cares for her mother, who is deeply afflicted by Alzheimer's.)

Around this same time, my brother (whose townhouse I was inhabiting) began to
date a Russian woman. It got real serious, real fast, even though her visa
was about to expire and neither of them were expecting anything "real" out of
the relationship. My brother didn't want our parents to catch on, but
eventually, mom did. And was extremely supportive.

Now, mom is not always the most level-headed of individuals. Both bro and I
were completely flabbergasted that she didn't worry herself to bits. The only
interpretation I can manage is that she could tell that we were suddenly
truly, deeply happy -- as opposed to previous relationships, which had caused
untold anxiety.

In fact, before I ever told mom about Eric, she knew. I'd spent all weekend
on the phone with Eric; I spoke to mom on Monday.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"
"No, mom, why do you ask?"
"You seem so happy!"
"Well, no ... I mean, there's this guy, but he's in Colorado. I'm not going
through that long distance mess again."

Mom is *not* a believer in needing a man around, either. I guess she just has
some sixth sense particular to moms.

Finally, there's this 6 months bit. I know some people have very happy and
longlasting relationships based on a short acquaintance, but it's a risky
thing to do, and probably would make their children unhappy at the prospect
of having to pick up the pieces if it fails.

That I can understand. I used to say that three years was the minimum to
really get to know a S.O. Then I met Eric, and I'd moved to Colorado less
than six months after we saw each other for the first time. Crazy.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old January 26th 05, 03:16 PM
Charleen Welton

"kilikini" wrote in message
Charleen Welton wrote:
My friend, Jill, has already sort-of introduced me to you folks. I
wish I could have seen her post! My news server is about 28 hours
behind right now and it's really frustrating.

Anyway, I'm a newlywed transplanted from Maui, Hawaii to the Tampa
Bay area of Florida. I met my husband via Usenet, believe it or
not. We weren't even looking for each other!

Welcome,
Loved your stories and pictures. Hope to see more of each. My
husband David and I, plus our three cats live in St. Cloud, Florida.
Maybe we can get together some day.

Charleen,
Mr. Pumpkin, 14 yo orange neutered tabby,
Aggie Marble, 13 yo blk & silver spayed tabby,
Victor Velcro, 7 yo Russian Blue Mix neutered terrorist who is now
being called Mike Tyson.

Charleen, excuse my ignorance, but where is St. Cloud? West or East side

of
this infernal godforsaken state?

kili

It's pretty much in the center. If you check out a map following I-4 from

Tampa to Route 192 East in Kissimmee you would find the next city would be
St.Cloud. We're 20 miles East of Walt Disney World.

I'm leaving for Boston tomorrow (1/27) but will be in touch when I return.
Glad that you are here.

Charleen

Old January 26th 05, 03:36 PM
Kilikini

Charleen Welton wrote:
"kilikini" wrote in message
Charleen Welton wrote:
[...]

So you're close! We love to BBQ on weekends. It would be fun to get
together sometime. :~)

kili