*URGENT* Purrs Needed (LONG)

Old March 8th 05, 02:50 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
Oh gawd, I am *SO* freakin' *STUPID*. How could I have been so d*mn
*BLIND*!

DH is staying home with her today and I'm going to try to get off the
rest of the week. I'll keep you all posted on how she is. Thanks
for listening, guys.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Awwww, you aren't blind, Lori! You didn't have any idea and your
assumptions were perfectly reasonable. I'm just glad you found the hot spot
when you did and took Bandit back for treatment. Purrs and birdie chirps
for Bandit and for you and DH and the other felines in the household.

Jill

Old March 8th 05, 03:11 PM
Gabey8

First of all, purrs fit to register on the Richter scale are on their way,
pronto.

Second of all, the purrs are for both Bandit and YOU. Stop beating up on
yourself. Every person here can attest to how well cats can conceal what's
wrong with them until the last possible moment. It's a survival technique
that's been hard-wired into them since the dawn of time, and we humans are
flat-out not equipped to see through the ruse sometimes.

And unfortunately, this is compounded by the fact that when we have a
senior-citizen kitty, it's normal for them to be less active than a
younger cat. So how is it possible to tell if the inactivity is due, not
only to their age, but to their feeling out-of-sorts? The answer is,
sometimes it's NOT possible to tell the difference.

Besides, when there's no reason in creation for you to expect this type of
injury to exist, you're certainly not going to go LOOKING for it.

Definitely, let the regular vet know ASAP what happened. Chances are, the
darn heating pad malfunctioned and other pets are at risk of having the
same sort of accident happen. (And if they somehow caused this injury, IMO
they should help foot the emergency vet bill and/or provide vet care for
free when they're treating it.)

I think we all can empathize with that moment when it VERY ABRUPTLY
becomes apparent that our cat is injured or ill. It's enough to give a
person ten kinds of heart attack. But don't waste energy beating yourself
up. Instead, spend the energy doting on Bandit. You'll need it to keep up
with all the extra skritchies and pats being sent by me and the rest of
the group.

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old March 8th 05, 03:13 PM
CatNipped

If he mentions money one more time to me, I'll not be responsible for what I
do to him.

OK, we're living more hand-to-mouth now than ever before, but we aren't
paupers. Yes it did cost $183.00 10 days ago for Bandit's teeth cleaning.
Yes, it did cost $250.00 last night for the emergency vet. And *YES* it
will cost whatever it costs today for the regular vet visit!

But *DO NOT* tell me we can't afford it you %&*&$%!!!! I'd be willing to
bet if it were him with an infected burn over most of his stomach he
wouldn't be worried about how much it would cost to get him medical
treatment!!!! *THIS* is what we have the $10,000 line of credit on the MBNA
card for! *THIS* is an emergency that *WILL* be taken care of!!

Grrrrrrrrrr.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 8th 05, 03:14 PM
Karen

The Sulfadine cream is a sulfa drug and will help soothe the skin a
little. I'm very sorry that it happened and that Bandit is in pain and
you and an emotional wreck and here's a big *HUG*

I remember when I found my parakeet limping, and noticed a huge growth
on his leg, and I was kicking myself that I had not noticed and he was
in pain for a while.

Big purrs to you and Bandit.....

Kristi

I can't tell you how much I've been going over what I might have missed to
get Grant in sooner. I think it is just natural.

Old March 8th 05, 03:22 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 08:03:59 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

Oh gawd, I am *SO* freakin' *STUPID*. How could I have been so d*mn
*BLIND*!

Oh Lori. You and DH did your best, and did a great job of getting her
attention. Purrs for your nerves, and for your poor baby.

Theresa
Old March 8th 05, 03:24 PM
Gabey8

[[It is NOT a good idea to let the owner hold their pet during an
examination, especially if the animal is fractious or in pain. Because
all it takes it for the animal to freak out, bite the owner in
defending itself because it doesn't know what's going on, and then the
owner will turn around and sue the vet on the grounds that what they
did caused their own pet to bite them.]]

I would SO like to swat those dunderheaded owners! Believe me, if my
handling the pet makes the difference between it cooperating even
minimally, and not cooperating at all, I'd happily sign a waiver declaring
"I won't sue this vet if I'm bitten or scratched during the treatment".

In the case of Harmony (RB) my assistance made a big, BIG difference
between her being in a panic and being calm enough to be treated, so I
gladly helped handle the cat and never got hurt. But if I had, I'd have
considered it to be nobody's fault, just a normal hazard when a cat who
fears strangers is being handled by unknown people in an unfamiliar
place.

If all owners were that realistic, more of us would be allowed to help
calm our pets down as needed. JMO, your mileage may vary, and all that
good stuff.

Donna

Old March 8th 05, 03:29 PM
Karen

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

From what I can gather, that is just kind of "requistite hubby job" to make
the obligatory "we are spending too much on the cat" statements even though
they may not feel that way. He is staying home with her today. Just breath
in and breath out Besides, it's already spent. (If he is really a pain
about it, ask him did he really want to watch Bandit with that SORE on her
stomach suffering a few more hours?)

Old March 8th 05, 03:37 PM

Yes, it did cost $250.00 last night for the
emergency vet. And *YES* it will cost
whatever it costs today for the regular vet
visit!

1. There should be no charge for examining and treating an injury the
vet caused.

2. They should be reimbursing you for the emergency clinic fees since
they caused the injury.

You need to be clear to them about that.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old March 8th 05, 03:43 PM
melizabeth

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"melizabeth" wrote in message

You are not stupid, nor blind. Bandit had a procedure done and you

thought
the behavior etc, was from that, and the smell was from litter box

issues.
As soon as you knew about her belly, you and your husband did a

phenomenal
job of getting her care.

I think you should call your regular vet to let them know of the

situation
(the sore, meds, etc). I know how horrible you are feeling right now,

and
this could prevent the same situation happening to another cat and

his/her
family. If there was neglect of a tech, then the vet needs to know for
quality assurance.

That being said. Depending upon how happy you have been at your regular
vet
in the past, how they handle the present situation, and your gut

feeling,
you may or may not want to search for another vet in your area.

Many, many healing thoughts headed to your family's way. May Bandit's
belly
heal soon.

Actually, I just got off the phone with my vet and I feel *SO* much better
about her. *SHE* brought up the probability that it was the heating

element
that caused the burn - no denial, no excuses - she said that no other
injection nor the anesthesia would cause something like that. They
immediately pulled the heating blanket out of use as soon as the emergency
vet called them this morning and are going to have it thoroughly checked

out
before using it again.

I know that mistakes happen and can forgive that, and the fact that she

is
willing to, up front, take responsibility makes me trust her even more. I
really do like this vet, so Bandit is going to see her today at 12:30.

I'll
keep you posted.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Wonderful What a great response from your vet. I am glad that she was up
front, etc. It would make me trust her even more as well.

I hope Bandit gets a clean bill of health

Old March 8th 05, 03:56 PM
CatNipped

wrote in message
Yes, it did cost $250.00 last night for the
emergency vet. And *YES* it will cost
whatever it costs today for the regular vet
visit!

1. There should be no charge for examining and treating an injury the
vet caused.

2. They should be reimbursing you for the emergency clinic fees since
they caused the injury.

You need to be clear to them about that.

Megan

I know, and I would appreciate it if they did treat her for free (I didn't
discuss this with the vet, but I will at her appointment), but if they don't
I'm *NOT* going to keep her from being treated no matter what it costs!'

Hugs,

CatNipped