Oh Gawd Grand-dogs Had to be Left!!!

Old August 28th 05, 11:51 PM
Candace

CatNipped wrote:

They left the doggie door to the back yard open and left them plenty of food
in the timed feeder and plenty of water. But ohmygawd - they had to leave
members of their family and they may not be able to get back home for
*months*! There's nobody left in the neighborhood to look in on them and if
disaster strikes the emergency personnel are going to be too busy trying to
save people to worry about pets left behind.

Doesn't the timed feeder run on electricity? From what I've been
reading, the electric is probably going to go out and stay out a long
time. It's a terrible, terrible situation. I think I might have tied
the dogs in the bed of the truck even though that is unsafe itself. I
realize that it's easy for us all to say what we'd do when we're not
the ones living it but this doesn't seem like it will have a happy
outcom especially if the electricity goes out.

And I'm sure it happened to many, many other animals plus there are
strays who no one will help anyway as well as all the wild animals, big
and small. It's awful!!!!!

Here in AZ, when we have forest fires or flooding and people are
evacuated, the Humane Society goes in ASAP and rescues animals left
behind. I'm sure they will do that there also but someone will have to
notify them where the dogs are and the sheer magnitude of the numbers
that are probably being left behind may hinder the rescue effort.

I am very sad for all the animals that will be affected and I truly
hope this isn't going to be nearly as bad as they are predicting.

Candace

Old August 28th 05, 11:55 PM
rich

CatNipped wrote:
But I forgot they no longer had their Suburban (it finally gave up the ghost
and they were left with only an extended cab truck)! They didn't have room
to take their two dogs with them when they evacuated - their three children
*had* to come first, of course!

What a load of BS! How much room does it take to fit two dogs in a car?
So they left the dogs behind to possibly die? If the dogs survive this
hopefully the ASPCA will get them and keep them. Hopefully the dogs will
find a REAL home instead of the crappy one they had.
Old August 29th 05, 12:04 AM
CatNipped

"Candace" wrote in message
oups.com...
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

No, the feeder they have is battery operated, I think.

They don't have an open-bed truck-bed - they have one of those attached
covers that lever up on hinges. But I think I would have tried that too -
anything is better than being left. But also, I don't think they knew
exactly how bad it was going to be or they would have found *SOME* solution
(there has been so many, many times that they evacuated and then turned
right around and went back again when the hurricane turned at the last
minute). It's a horrible situation and I'm sure they're going to be
second-guessing themselves and beating themselves up about this is they
can't get back to save their dogs.

I just heard on the news that all the people going to the Superdome have to
leave their animals at home too. It's really, really sad.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 29th 05, 12:04 AM
Mishi

"CatNipped" wrote in message
I finally got in touch with my daughter - they're probably safe, but

they're
still on the spillway (a miles-long bridge over the swamp just north of
Baton Rouge).

But I forgot they no longer had their Suburban (it finally gave up the

ghost
and they were left with only an extended cab truck)! They didn't have

room
to take their two dogs with them when they evacuated - their three

children
*had* to come first, of course!

But their dogs are like children to them. Gypsie (the golden retriever)

has
been with them for 13 years now and their Rottweiller is still a puppy!!!

They left the doggie door to the back yard open and left them plenty of

food
in the timed feeder and plenty of water. But ohmygawd - they had to leave
members of their family and they may not be able to get back home for
*months*! There's nobody left in the neighborhood to look in on them and

if
disaster strikes the emergency personnel are going to be too busy trying

save people to worry about pets left behind.

Again, please send purrs for this horrible, horrible situation that is
effecting *so* many people and pets!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Hi Catnipped,

Can they contact EARS? (Emergency Animal Rescue Service) They respond to
natural disasters to help the animals that may have been left behind. Their
url is: http://www.uan.org/ears/index.html

My clowder is purring for you and your family! (Baby Jake sends mini purrs!)

Patti

Old August 29th 05, 12:06 AM
CatNipped

"rich" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
But I forgot they no longer had their Suburban (it finally gave up the

ghost
and they were left with only an extended cab truck)! They didn't have

room
to take their two dogs with them when they evacuated - their three

children
*had* to come first, of course!

What a load of BS! How much room does it take to fit two dogs in a car?
So they left the dogs behind to possibly die? If the dogs survive this
hopefully the ASPCA will get them and keep them. Hopefully the dogs will
find a REAL home instead of the crappy one they had.

We're talking about a golden retriever and a Rottweiller - not toy poodles -
in a *TRUCK* with *FIVE* people. There *IS* such a thing as *NOT ENOUGH
SPACE*. You can't make the impossible happen by wishing it. They were lucky
to be able to get themselves and their children out of the city - there are
100,000 who were not so lucky.

I hate that they had to make that choice, but I'm glad that my
granddaughters will be saved. I really hope you are never forced to make
such a decision, but until you are placed in such a situation I would hope
that you would withhold judgment on people who are.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 29th 05, 12:14 AM
Pat

"CatNipped" wrote

We're talking about a golden retriever and a Rottweiller - not toy

poodles -
in a *TRUCK* with *FIVE* people. There *IS* such a thing as *NOT ENOUGH
SPACE*. You can't make the impossible happen by wishing it. They were

lucky
to be able to get themselves and their children out of the city - there

are
100,000 who were not so lucky.

I hate that they had to make that choice, but I'm glad that my
granddaughters will be saved. I really hope you are never forced to make
such a decision, but until you are place in such a situation I would hope
that you would withhold judgment on people who are.

Around here, dogs are often seen riding in the beds of pickups. But I
suppose they had it all filled with luggage.

Purrs going out for the people and pups.

Old August 29th 05, 12:20 AM
Susan M

My goodness - I just feel sick for all those people and all those animals.
I keep checking CNN to see the status but it doesn't say when its supposed
to hit. I'm revving the boys up for lots of purrs and safe thoughts for all
the animals and people.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old August 29th 05, 12:26 AM
Candace

CatNipped wrote:

I just heard on the news that all the people going to the Superdome have to
leave their animals at home too. It's really, really sad.

I'm not saying this in reference to your daughter but I think about
stuff like this because I'm a worrier. I think I'd rather have gone to
the Superdome if I had to leave my animals behind because at least once
it's passed you can get back home easier. The people who have left
town may have a hard time getting back for awhile. I'd feel a tiny bit
better knowing I was still in the same town as my animals and that I
could get back in a couple of days.

I just hope some of this is media hype. You know how many times they
make a disaster out of something that fortunately never reaches the
magnitude they are predicting...like Y2K, etc. Of course, weather is
different but no one really knows what turns that storm may take.

Candace

Old August 29th 05, 12:27 AM
Karen

in article , kilikini at
wrote on 8/28/05 5:08 PM:

"CatNipped" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Yes, it's possible that it really was impossible to include the dogs
(especially if they were in a truck -- something I didn't pick up from

your
original note, even though you did mention it). In that case, I was

much
too harsh and I apologize. I do hate it, though, when I read of cases

where
it would have been possible to transport pets but they were left behind
because of comfort.

MaryL

That's OK, I understand. I was shocked when I heard it too. The dogs are
really like furry children to them.

When I finally got on the phone with my daughter, after going on and on
about the horrible aftermath that could be expected and saying that it may
be months before people could get back, I mentioned that she must be going
crazy being trapped in the car for 9 hours already (and not even a third

of
the way here) with three children and two dogs. She said, "Mom, we

couldn't
bring the dogs" and she burst out crying (although she was trying not to
upset the kids who think the dogs will be fine for a day or two - which,
please GOD, may be the case). I *know* that if there were *any* possible
way they would have brought their dogs with them.

Hugs,

CatNipped

(much stuff snipped)

This is such terrible news; this whole hurricane situation has me absolutely
glued to the Weather Channel. Had it come eastward my way, we'd be in the
same boat - literally BOAT. I only have a small cat carrier and since Miss
Pua has to be isolated due to her ringworm, what would *I* have done had the
tables been turned? It's so sad and so difficult. My purrs go out to your
family.

kili

You definitely need to invest in more carriers as soon as you are able
living in the area you do. I really hate this part of storms and all the
poor animals that are left behind

Old August 29th 05, 12:34 AM

CatNipped wrote:

No, the feeder they have is battery operated, I think.

They don't have an open-bed truck-bed - they have one of those attached
covers that lever up on hinges. But I think I would have tried that too -
anything is better than being left. But also, I don't think they knew
exactly how bad it was going to be or they would have found *SOME* solution
(there has been so many, many times that they evacuated and then turned
right around and went back again when the hurricane turned at the last
minute). It's a horrible situation and I'm sure they're going to be
second-guessing themselves and beating themselves up about this is they
can't get back to save their dogs.

I just heard on the news that all the people going to the Superdome have to
leave their animals at home too. It's really, really sad.

Hugs,

CatNipped

The HSUS has teams they send out in disasters. Another group called
EARS, (I don't know what that stands for) has worked alongside the HSUS
here in the aftermath of tornados for the benefit of displaced pets. I
just can't say enough good about how dedicated. those people are. I'm
sure there will also be local groups also.
I hope they are able to get back to the dogs.

Sherry