Fez gets in hot coffee

Old March 9th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default COFFEE HOT

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
How about the lawyer that brought the suit against McDonald for people
getting fat eating fast food. Thank god some judge put them in their
place about that.

Totally differerent situation. No one forces anyone to eat fast food.
Okay, right, no one forces anyone to drink coffee. But that coffee I was
served was *way* too hot.

Jill

wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:

longer make coffee makers or cappuccino machines that will get
liquids hot enough to cause a burn thanks to suit-happy lawyers
here in the US.

You'd be wrong about that statement!! Until I went to take my
classes for
my insurance license I'd never had coffee at a McDonald's before.
You remember them because I think you're citing that as case law.
I was early
for class one day so I ran into McDonald's and ordered a cup of
coffee. It
was so f***'ng hot I couldn't even take a sip of it without burning
my tongue. My own coffee maker at home doesn't brew coffee this
hot. Neither
does the one at the Burger King next to the McD's. They apparently
have this thing set for a gazillion degrees farenheit. I'd sue if
I spilled this
lava in my lap, too.

Thank you, Jill! It's so ironic that this particular case is the
poster child for frivolous litigation, when the woman who sued McD's
(and won) sustained serious injuries, and had no reason to expect
that the drink she was handling was dangerously hot.

And as to the question of "Why did this idiot put a hot cup of coffee
between her legs in a moving car?", ask yourself this: would you put
a cup of a *cold* drink in your lap in a car? Maybe, right? What's
the worst that could happen - you might get wet. What about a
lukewarm
drink? Same thing. A hot drink? Well, probably not, but the worst
that could happen, with a hot drink that's a *reasonable*
temperature of
hot, is that you might get a mild burn, and you'd be uncomfortable.
You might have a sore red patch on your legs for a couple of days.
Not something to sue anyone over.

My point with the above has to do with the woman's expectations. She
had the reasonable expectation that the worst that would happen is
that she'd spill some of the hot coffee on her legs and get a mild
burn -
not an actionable injury. She was *not* expecting the coffee to be so
hot that she would end up with 2nd-degree burns (or maybe even
3rd-degree, can't remember), requiring hospitalization and skin
grafting. I think that's a reasonable expectation on her part.
Certainly if the coffee
was that dangerously hot, people should have been warned - I mean
they're handling it in moving vehicles (at the drive-through), which
isn't all that safe even if they don't put the cup in their lap.

Not to mention that McD's had received numerous complaints about the
temperature of the coffee previously, so it wasn't news to them - yet
they continued to brew it at that temperature.

If you want an an example of bad litigation (not to mention
outrageous outcomes), what about that guy who broke into someone's
house, hurt himself while he was there, sued the owners, and WON?
What drugs were those jury members on??

Joyce

Old March 9th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default COFFEE HOT (Was: Fez gets in hot coffee)

CatNipped wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
I got an espresso maker for x-mas from my MIL, and most days I make
myself a capuccino with breakfast. I often take my coffee to the
computer to read my email, where I put the cup next to the mouse on
my right. Today Fez was being his usual self, meowing pitifully to
try and get some kibble for breakfast (we prefer if they finish
their wet food before putting out kibble). He decided to be more
assertive and jumped
up on the desk, putting is right back paw *in* my freshly brewed
(and very hot) capuccino and spilling it all over the place.
Poor Fez, he got yelled at and he probably hurt a little with the
hot coffee. I saw him licking his paw but he wasn't limping or
anything,
so I'm sure it wasn't serious.
I need to remember to put my coffee where it can't be tipped over
(or on) by a certain hungry cat.

Victor, posting via google.

Aw, poor Fez - and poor Victor (I know you feel terrible for
yelling, but it was just a startle reflex). Fez should be fine -
they no
longer make coffee makers or cappuccino machines that will get
liquids hot enough to cause a burn thanks to suit-happy lawyers here
in the US.

You'd be wrong about that statement!! Until I went to take my
classes for my insurance license I'd never had coffee at a
McDonald's before. You remember them because I think you're citing
that as case law. I was early for class one day so I ran into
McDonald's and ordered a cup of coffee. It
was so f***'ng hot I couldn't even take a sip of it without burning
my tongue.

Oh, I'm not saying she didn't deserve reimbursement - she *was*
seriously burned.

I'm just bummed that ever since then you can't get a really hot cup of
coffee anywhere and even the home coffee makers you buy today don't
get the coffee really hot. I *HATE* lukewarm coffee - I have to put
my mug in the microwave as soon as it's finished brewing!

The Burger King across from the McD's had nicely hot coffee but not coffee
that would burn off your mustache when you didn't have a mustache to begin
with!

Jill

Old March 9th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:

Matthew AKA NMR ( NO MORE RETAIL ) wrote:
How about the lawyer that brought the suit against McDonald for people
getting fat eating fast food. Thank god some judge put them in their
place about that.

Totally differerent situation. No one forces anyone to eat fast food.
Okay, right, no one forces anyone to drink coffee. But that coffee I was
served was *way* too hot.

It's a matter of knowing what you're getting into. We all know that
fast food has a lot of calories, so if you gain weight by eating a lot
of it, you shouldn't be surprised. But I'm pretty sure that most people
did not know that McD's coffee could cause burns requiring skin grafts.
You can't make a responsible decision if you're not given all the facts.

Joyce
Old March 9th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"dnr" wrote in message

[...]

Good observations, Joyce, but my fuzzy opinion is that there
are very few vehicles manufactured in USA (dunno re other
countries) that don't have at least one form of "cup-holder"
somewhere near driver's seat. My vehicle has 4 cup-holders,
all within easy reach for me. I drive all the time with hot,
tepid, freezing liquids in drive-up cups of various sizes, and
the only b**** I ever have is that Starbucks and Einstein
lids slop coffee out the little hole in cap you drink from
(but not a whole lot).
I think this woman was a few sandwiches short of a picnic
mentally, as I personally would *never* place any cup
near my legs, even as a passenger and not needing to
shift gears....but she didn't need to be smart to get
all that $ from the fast-food giant. Her attorney firm
did the work for her.....
sometimes I think cats have more common sense than
hoomins.....

I agree. I could possibly stretch my imagination to understanding someone
placing a rigid cup between their legs, but a styrofoam cup? No way!
Styrofoam cups are not stable, and putting a Styrofoam cup of any liquid
between your legs is asking for a spill.

Also, if I ordered hot coffee, I'd expect it to be hot. Any coffee that is
hot enough to drink is hot enough that I don't want it spilled on me.

Joy

Old March 9th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-09, dnr penned:

Good observations, Joyce, but my fuzzy opinion is that there are
very few vehicles manufactured in USA (dunno re other countries)
that don't have at least one form of "cup-holder" somewhere near
driver's seat.

My 1991 Ford Probe LX had zero cupholders. It was a real pain on road
trips. (Also noisy as hell and not terribly comfortable, but that's
another issue.)

My 2004 Subaru WRX wagon has two cupholders in the front, both of
which are poorly placed and one of which doesn't seem terribly stable.

I'm sure there are plenty of vehicles on the road that either don't
have cupholders or have sub-optimal cupholders. I think it's BMW that
states the opinion that you should be in the car to drive, not to sip
coffee.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 10th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Did they win the appeal on it
I know they had to put that warning on it warning hot can cause burns

and no offense anyone that orders a cup of hot coffee and it is in a
Styrofoam cup knows the coffee is hot and to be careful. I think what that
lawsuit was about was the lid was not on completely and when they put it
down between their legs it spilled. I don't remember the exact details but
I do remember think what a putz for not know it was hot when they did it

I have all the sympathy for a person that is overweight. Food is the
hardest addiction to ever beat it is stronger than smoking or crack. People
turn to it calls to you even as you sit here reading this. It is shown and
heard more times a day that you take a breath. I know I have before and I
used to be big. My comfort food was devil's food cake with white frosting
cookies whimpering for one right now.

But my sympathy stops the moment someone starts to blame someone else for
their problem. Yes it is a disease and has to be fought by you and you will
need professional help to do it. But no one forced anyone to shove a
*supersized *big Mac super sized fries and supersized coke * down your
throat. You knew it was bad for you it was your choice to do it your
responsibility

"Yoj" wrote in message
. com...

Old March 10th 06, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-09, dnr penned:

Good observations, Joyce, but my fuzzy opinion is that there are
very few vehicles manufactured in USA (dunno re other countries)
that don't have at least one form of "cup-holder" somewhere near
driver's seat.

My 1991 Ford Probe LX had zero cupholders. It was a real pain on road
trips. (Also noisy as hell and not terribly comfortable, but that's
another issue.)

My 2004 Subaru WRX wagon has two cupholders in the front, both of
which are poorly placed and one of which doesn't seem terribly stable.

I'm sure there are plenty of vehicles on the road that either don't
have cupholders or have sub-optimal cupholders. I think it's BMW that
states the opinion that you should be in the car to drive, not to sip
coffee.

I have never had a car with a cup holder. I don't know what it is that
made me get these cars! So frustrating not having a cup holder. But
our new car in Australia has 5 cupholders. We made damn sure of that
before committing! ;-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old March 10th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

badwilson wrote:
made me get these cars! So frustrating not having a cup holder. But
our new car in Australia has 5 cupholders. We made damn sure of that
before committing! ;-)

Wait, 5? 1 for you, 1 for Dennis and 1 for Vino. You've got 2 extra!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 10th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:

Good observations, Joyce, but my fuzzy opinion is that there
are very few vehicles manufactured in USA (dunno re other
countries) that don't have at least one form of "cup-holder"
somewhere near driver's seat. My vehicle has 4 cup-holders,
all within easy reach for me.

And if your car doesn't have some built in, you can get the
kind tha hook over the window-frame.

I think this woman was a few sandwiches short of a picnic
mentally, as I personally would *never* place any cup
near my legs, even as a passenger and not needing to
shift gears....

Liquids in styrofoam and/or paper cups are definitely NOT
very stable - even a cold drink perched in your lap could
spill and stain your clothing!

sometimes I think cats have more common sense than
hoomins.....

You have any doubt?