[ot] Squirrels in my Bird Feeder

Old March 18th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Default [ot] Squirrels in my Bird Feeder

Grease the pole.Use thick grease like axel grease and he will slide down the
pole.

Ann

see pictures of Sam at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ann791/my_photos
"Jeanne Hedge" wrote in message
I'm asking for suggestions to deal with an age old problem - how do
you keep squirrels out of your bird feeder?

My bird feeder hangs from a shepherd's crook, several feet off the
ground. It has a compartment where you pour the bird seed and holes in
the bottom where the seed goes out into a trough-type thing that goes
all around. As the seed is eaten the trough is refilled with seed.

Today a rather large, bushy tailed, prime example of the common North
American squirrel species discovered my bird feeder (it's only been
out there for 6 months). I haven't seen him do it, but I'm assuming
he's shinnying up the pole to the top of the feeder, where I *have*
seen him sitting. From there, he either grabs hold of the wires that
hold the feeder onto the crook with his hands, leans over the side,
and eats from the trough while hanging upside down, or he maneuvers
himself to sit on the bird perch and eat from the trough from there.

Of course, he's making a complete mess as he throws seed all over the
place when he eats, which, judging from the number of them feeding
from the ground beneath the feeder when he's there, the birds love. I
don't love that - he makes much more of a mess than the birds do when
they eat. I really wouldn't mind having him around, except when he's
there he emptys the feeder in nothing flat.

So, what do you do to *try* to keep squirrels from your feeder (other
than get rid of the feeder)? Is there a particular kind of seed they
don't like? Do you put out some other food for the squirrels? Is
there something I could do to the shepherd's crook to make climbing
difficult for him? (remember, I'm currently without feline......)

Jeanne Hedge

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Old March 23rd 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debra

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 19:40:02 -0500, Jeanne Hedge
wrote:

[...]

Jeanne, I'll bet you are putting out mixed bird seed in your feeder.
That is fine for the birds, but the squirrel is after the sunflower
seeds so he is probably tossing everything else on the ground. I
tried out the hot pepper powdered bird seed, but after the first few
weeks the squirrel seemed to like it better than the birds.

Your best bet would be to get a squirrel feeder and set it up on a
nearby tree that he already uses in route to the bird feeder. Fill it
with sunflower seeds and a little dried corn. The squirrel will find
it easier to eat from his feeder since he won't have to sort through
so many seeds that he doesn't want in order to get the sunflower
seeds, and he won't have to go as far to get to it. My squirrel
feeder had a squirrel sized hole at each end of a covered box, the
front of the box was clear plastic so I could see the food level and
watch the critters that went inside. By the way, squirrel feeders
like mine attract birds that are not happy with other feeders.
Woodpeckers, flickers, and nuthatches always ate from the squirrel
feeder I mounted to an oak tree at about eye level.

For now, do not re-fill the bird feeder for at least a week, then put
up the squirrel feeder, then after you know the squirrel is eating
from his feeder, refill the bird feeder. The birds will know when you
refill their feeder, and they can eat from the squirrel feeder just
fine too.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old March 30th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
birdoasis

Default Squirrels in my Bird Feeder

I have two solutions for you.

A Squirrel proof feeder will keep the squirrel out of the seed all
together. There are many to choose from. I like the all metal
feeders that close the feeder holes with the weight of the squirrel,
or the Droll Yankee Flipper that starts spinning around when the
squirrel jumps on.

Another idea is to use the "If you can't beat em, Join em" method. A
squirrel feeder will keep the squirrel busy enough to leave the bird
feeder alone. Just fill it with peanuts or use one of the corn cob
squirrel feeders to keep them detracted. Even better is when you
setup a squirrel course with ropes and platforms that the squirrel has
to traverse in order to get to the squirrel feeders. You'll be amazed
at what those little guys will do to get to corn or peanuts.

John Patrick,
www.birdoasis.com