How many cats?

Old October 16th 04, 06:28 AM
Kajikit

Default How many cats?

How many cats do you think you should have? One per room? Per
available lap? Per bed? Per hand? Per litterbox? (now THERE'S a way to
keep the numbers down! lol) Is there a maximum feline density that
makes the line between 'feline lover' and 'crazy cat person'?

It's less than three weeks till I go to Florida, and John's been
looking for kitties for us at the animal shelter. He's got me to look
online and they're so cute... I've never had a kitty before, but
looking at those poor babies on the website makes me want to pick them
all up and take them home and look after them. Only of course I know
we can't do that... what do you advise?

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Here kitty kitty kitty... visit http://www.catslaves.org!

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Old October 16th 04, 08:19 AM
Tish Silberbauer

The cats will let you know how many you are to be blessed with. We
started off with one - Ted, who would tolerate no competition.
Several years after Ted came to us, we acquired two d*gs on a trial
basis - too see if Ted would cope with them (she did). Fast forward a
couple of years and we met Columbine (RB) in a farmers' market,
courtesy of the RSPCA. Whilst she was with us only a short time, her
untimely departure prompted me to ask the local RSPCA about fostering
kittens, which is how we ended up with Spock and Persephone. At the
beginning, one animal seemed just right, now five seems just right
(although when Mum's d*g, Bongo (RB) was with us, six animals seemed
just right). Your home, hearts and litter box capacity will expand
according to circumstances and finances.

And don't worry about being able to cope - cats are *very* good
tutors! They'll have you obeying them in moments.

Tish

Old October 16th 04, 10:25 AM
Jo Firey

"Kajikit" wrote in message
How many cats do you think you should have? One per room? Per
available lap? Per bed? Per hand? Per litterbox? (now THERE'S a way to
keep the numbers down! lol) Is there a maximum feline density that
makes the line between 'feline lover' and 'crazy cat person'?

It's less than three weeks till I go to Florida, and John's been
looking for kitties for us at the animal shelter. He's got me to look
online and they're so cute... I've never had a kitty before, but
looking at those poor babies on the website makes me want to pick them
all up and take them home and look after them. Only of course I know
we can't do that... what do you advise?

It really is a lot up to the cats. Some require more attention than others.
Some tolerate other cats better than others. But is any case start with one
and give your self a couple of months to see what you will be getting into
with more.

Another consideration, what are the chances you will be put in a position
where you have to give up your pet(s). Its really not fair to take them if
you can't reasonably promise them a forever home. Complete with food, love,
housekeeping, and medical care. There is no such thing as a free kitten.
In the long run the purebreds I've bought haven't cost me any more or less
than those that just kind of invited themselves in.

Maybe we should take a poll. How much do others here seem to spend on vet
care per year per pet? I'm guessing I've averaged close to $500 per pet per
year of its life.

Jo

Jo

Old October 16th 04, 10:41 AM
O J

On Sat, 16 Oct, Kajikit wrote:

How many cats do you think you should have? One per room? Per
available lap? Per bed? Per hand? Per litterbox? (now THERE'S a way to
keep the numbers down! lol) Is there a maximum feline density that
makes the line between 'feline lover' and 'crazy cat person'?

---------------------snip----------------------

Don't stop at just being an ailurophile. Go straight to 'crazy cat
person'. A half dozen ought to do it. Don't get them all at once
though -- two should do for a starter. Then work your way up to six.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Old October 16th 04, 10:41 AM
O J

On Sat, 16 Oct, Kajikit wrote:

How many cats do you think you should have? One per room? Per
available lap? Per bed? Per hand? Per litterbox? (now THERE'S a way to
keep the numbers down! lol) Is there a maximum feline density that
makes the line between 'feline lover' and 'crazy cat person'?

Don't stop at just being an ailurophile. Go straight to 'crazy cat
person'. A half dozen ought to do it. Don't get them all at once
though -- two should do for a starter. Then work your way up to six.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

"Making Arrangements" for Cats CatNipped Cat anecdotes 70 October 3rd 04 12:37 AM
Chipping my Cats Fat Freddy Cat anecdotes 26 May 2nd 04 03:08 PM
Big cats in England Yoj Cat anecdotes 75 April 26th 04 02:49 AM
Dozens Of Dead Cats Removed From Woman's Garage Magic Mood JeepĀ© Cat anecdotes 18 December 26th 03 12:11 AM