Yet Another cat?

Old December 26th 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

Default Yet Another cat?

I visited some friends over the holidays; they're about 2 hours away.
They recently moved from West Virginia to Philadelphia, and brought
their cat Francis. In WV she had the run of the neighborhood, which
was mostly open fields. In PA, she's in a fairly large apartment but
apparently misses being outside and has not adjusted too well as she
is not always peeing in the litterbox (vet checked).

I've been asked whether I'd be able to take her. She is beautiful;
black and orange long hair, fairly sweet personality. But she is
clearly at least 9 years old and feels fairly brittle. My three cats
are all at most 4 years old. They can only go out in the fenced in
backyard, and only when I'm around to keep an eye (or at least webcam)
on them.

This morning I had three cats surrounding me in bed and can barely
move as it is without moving one aside. Each cat takes a certain
amount of attention, and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of
pulling in the third one although that has worked out well.

I really concerned that a fairly old girl is going to be run ragged by
the youngins. On the other hand, I adopted an elderly female cat a few
years back who terrorized the young boys, but Francis doesn't seem
that type. Plus, we seem to have some litterbox issues; that I really
don't need.

Any advice? Is four that much more trouble than three? Don't people
start looking at you funny when you have four or more cats? Do you
think that having some company would maybe make Francis happier?

Old December 26th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

dgk wrote:

Any advice? Is four that much more trouble than three?

The short answer: No. The longer answer: It depends on how you view
your house in relation to your pets. We currently have six cats and
two dogs. We have half a dozen litterboxes around the house as well as
several feeding stations wit dry food and water.

That said, cat hair in everything is a way of life. We buy ratty old
furniture (rental returns) and when the chairs have been shredded buy
new ones. Most of the moldings have been reduced to splinters as high
as the tallest cat can reach. Doesn't bother us. We have no family to
visit, very few friends. I'll probably die in this house then the
repairs will be someone else's problem.

We used to do rescue work and have had as many as a dozen adults in a
2000 square foot house at one time. They all got along, though we did
have to start closing the door to the bedroom else we would 've been
pushed off the bed.

Then there's the matter of vet bills and the cost of food and litter.
Truth be told, I'm looking forward to attrition thinning the herd a
bit, especially or old diabetic, but they haven't been any real
trouble.

Don't people
start looking at you funny when you have four or more cats?

Probably. Don't care.
Old December 26th 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 11:30:01 -0500, Richard Evans
wrote:

dgk wrote:

[...]

I've only had minor scratching problems thus far. I do supply plenty
of scratching posts, and those get beat up, but not the furniture. The
main cat tree seems to have developed what might be a mold problem and
at the very least is going to need new carpeting, but I'm building a
new cat tree that is really big enough for many cats.

Still, I'm not totally antisocial and do get some visitors, plus the
Significant Other's main entertainment appears to be watching the Home
and Garden channel and demonstrates a bit more concern that I do about
the habitat. I'd also rather not shut them out of the bedroom.

But I find that each cat needs a certain amount of attention. One
needs to be brushed occassionally, and Francis certainly needs to be
brushed. Plus they each need some petting and stroking and play time.
I really don't know if I can provide that for four cats. I only have
one lap. The SO has a lap also but it's bonier and the cats seem to
prefer my padding.

Old December 26th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Richard Evans

"cindys" wrote:

--------
OMG. Are you sure you don't live in my house? (although I've never had a
dozen - five has been my maximum).

Once, when we were doing rescue work, we had a dozen adults and
*thirteen* kittens from three different litters. That was a hoot. My
wife, who never wears slacks, has the scars to remind her.

Old December 28th 07, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

On Dec 26, 2:59*pm, dgk wrote:
[...]

You have obviously put a great deal of thought into this, which shows
me that you are considering taking her. It's clear that you have
considered her age, her circumstances, whether or not you can afford
to take the responsibility that comes with being owned by a cat. You
have thought about the expense, the impact it might have on your own
feline-family, & you are wondering whether or not you have the time to
devote to her. This is someone who really has considered the issue, &
for that alone, I commend you wholeheartedly for all of these
considerations.

I visited some friends over the holidays; they're about 2 hours away.
They recently moved from West Virginia to Philadelphia, and brought
their cat Francis. In WV she had the run of the neighborhood, which
was mostly open fields. In PA, she's in a fairly large apartment but
apparently misses being outside and has not adjusted too well as she
is not always peeing in the litterbox (vet checked).

This could be due to her new surroundings. If you are considering
having her, it doesn't necessarily mean that she will have the same
problems with you. If you have done a bit of rescue work, you will
already know that she is probably protesting about not being allowed
outside. If she is used to being allowed outside, this must be a real
culture shock?!
You have only to tread a mile in her paws to know how she feels......

I've been asked whether I'd be able to take her. She is beautiful;
black and orange long hair, fairly sweet personality. But she is
clearly at least 9 years old and feels fairly brittle. My three cats
are all at most 4 years old. They can only go out in the fenced in
backyard, and only when I'm around to keep an eye (or at least webcam)
on them.

She sounds such a pretty cat. If she has a sweet personality, it is a
massive bonus. A cat only shows a sweet side to someone they trust &
care about. Being 9 years old shouldn't put you off, but I do
understand that it is a major consideration when deciding whether you
can take her or, not as the case might be. The only reason her age
might be a concern, is when they actually already come with a medical
condition associated with age. Other than that, you already know that
she gets along with your cats, & that is probably your main concern
here.

Yes, of course a cat's care becomes harder as they get older, but
don't let that put you off. 99% of our pensioner's, all managed to get
to a grand old age, before things got a little harder. It's the same
with humans too. What a wonderful opportunity for both Francis & you.
She was obviously much happier with you. That is certainly clear in
her behaviour. It is the only way that she can protest I guess?!

This morning I had three cats surrounding me in bed and can barely
move as it is without moving one aside. Each cat takes a certain
amount of attention, and I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of
pulling in the third one although that has worked out well.

How Lucky you are. I would consider that as Bliss, LOL )

And I will bet that there is a protocol too?

In my case, it is Lilly who wakes me up with a sandpaper lick for her
breakfast, then Taz gives me leg rubs, as does Blue- Belle with lots
of chatting between them. Whilst the others are eating, the rest of
the gang follow me to their food stations, & we chat as we go. During
the day they all come to me at different intervals for a bit of
singular one on one time. Again, I'm sure that you could find that
time if you had to. Cats are like that. They live for you to adore
them.

I really concerned that a fairly old girl is going to be run ragged by
the youngins. On the other hand, I adopted an elderly female cat a few
years back who terrorized the young boys, but Francis doesn't seem
that type. Plus, we seem to have some litterbox issues; that I really
don't need.

Who knows until you try?

As long as you have lots of food stations, & litter tray choices, then
she should use them as she did before you returned her to her rightful
slaves. It certainly appears that she was happier with you, in a
neighborhood she trusted & felt safe in. I must stress that I am not
telling you that she should be an outdoor cat- more a house cat with
access to back garden accompanied by you.

Any advice? Is four that much more trouble than three? Don't people
start looking at you funny when you have four or more cats? Do you
think that having some company would maybe make Francis happier?

Only 4... That's not so bad you know)

We have 8 full timers here presently.

I'm known as the cat-Lady in the village, but I can't say that it
bothers me all that much. I get all sorts of people @ my door, asking
advice, or asking about rescue services, feeding plans, cat housing, &
even people who want their pets cared for whilst they are on holiday;
there is nothing wrong with that, it is called being part of the
community.

Bottom Line?

Yes, I do think she would be happier with you. Why don't you talk to
the rest of our family to see what they think, & if you can come to
some agreement, I think you will find that the rest of the problems
will iron themselves out.
As with most problems in life, you find that you "Can" cope, because
it is your responsibility to do so. You find a way.......

Good Luck with this one, & I hope that you do get the chance to slave
for her once more.

I think Francis wants to come home;o)

Sheelagh"o"

Old December 30th 07, 09:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_2_]

On Dec 26, 9:59�am, dgk wrote:
[...]

You talk WAAAAAY to much, lady...
Old December 31st 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 01:19:09 -0800 (PST), IBen Getiner
wrote:

On Dec 26, 9:59?am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Lady? Even if I were female I doubt very much that I would be a lady.
Old December 31st 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

wrote:
On Dec 26, 9:59?am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Lady? Even if I were female I doubt very much that I would be a lady.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry.. You just act a little feminine. That's all... I know it's not
your fault. The blame probably rests with your Mom for really wanting
a girl, and on your Dad for not standing up to your Mom... Either way,
something's amiss...

IBen Getiner

Old January 2nd 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:
On Dec 26, 9:59?am, dgk wrote:
[...]

Ah, that would probably be showing concern for other living things. I
remember some of your writings. As I recall, you care only about your
family and everyone else can suffer and die. I think that you are a
sociopath and I seriously doubt you even care about your family, if
you even have one.