7-year-old cat with "smoker's cough" !

Old September 23rd 11, 03:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady

Default 7-year-old cat with "smoker's cough" !

"Eddy" wrote in message
The packaging of his cat
food changed about 2 months ago so I checked that this morning and it IS
only the packaging that's changed and not the actual contents of the
tins.

..............I take it you're "across the pond"? Don't know what the rules
are for pet food packaging in your neck of the woods, but in the US they can
change the contents of the food and have 6 months to "catch up" with the
label.

So in most instances, one can "always" suspect the food.

buglady
takeout the dog before replying

Old November 12th 11, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eddy[_2_]

Default using Flixotide via Aerokat

Hi Wayne,

Well, two months have gone by and in that time the vet has used a
step-by-step method that has been as easy on Puss as possible.

Firstly Puss was put on a ten-day course of antibiotics. That did not
clear the situation. So then Puss was given a steroid injection and
that had a remarkable effect.

So now we have an Aerokat device and a Flixotide inhaler and Puss has
had his first treatment.

The directions that come with the Flixotide are for humans and indicate
that humans should take one puff every day at a time when the breathing
is slow and that the daily treatment must not be broken or discontinued.

I am wondering what the situation with an adult cat is. They have
smaller lungs than we do, obviously. What's your experience?

Thanks,
Eddy.

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

Eddy wrote:

He keeps on coughing but whatever it is
doesn't move or stop aggravating him and so he gets anxious and gets
quickly down onto the floor and into the crouch position, stretching his
neck out parallel to the floor and almost touching the floor with his
chin. In this position he keeps "coughing", perhaps for a whole minute,
until the irritation stops. Then he returns to entirely normal
behaviour - until next time.

This sounds like a classic asthma attack. My Will would do this a dozen
times a day before we got his asthma under control.

Take him to a vet and get a thoracic radiograph. Chances are it will
show the diagnostic "donuts and tramlines" which are caused by thickened
bronchial walls and trapped air.

If it is asthma, he needs be put on a regimen of glucocorticoid
steroids. Typically that will be either oral prednisolone or injected
depo medrol (methylprednisolone). Eventually, you will want to move him
over to the inhaled steroid fluticasone propionate (Flovent/Flixotide),
because it is non-systemic and doesn't have the potential for adverse
effects that pred does.

Old November 13th 11, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wayne Mitchell

Eddy wrote:

The directions that come with the Flixotide are for humans and indicate
that humans should take one puff every day at a time when the breathing
is slow and that the daily treatment must not be broken or discontinued.

Will and I are old hands, and it has been a long time since I stopped to
read the manufacturer's directions. It surprises me that it now says
once a day. Very few asthmatics, human or feline, can remain
well-controlled on once-a-day dosing. The bio-active half-life of
fluticasone averages about 8 hours in either species. Unless one wishes
to use very large doses, it makes more sense to dose at intervals of
about twelve hours.

I am wondering what the situation with an adult cat is. They have
smaller lungs than we do, obviously. What's your experience?

The AeroKat is designed for their lighter inhalations and smaller total
airflow. I would say that overall Flixotide has been even more
successful for cats than for humans.

Be aware that it can take a couple weeks for the Flixotide to build up
to maximum effect, though you should see some improvement in just a few
days.

If you are willing to do Yahoo groups, there are a couple that can help
shepherd you through the introduction and answer your questions:
(of which I am one of the moderators), and
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/felineasthma/
which is a general asthma group, but talks about inhaled meds mostly
nowadays because that has become the gold standard of treatment.
--

Wayne M.
Old November 15th 11, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eddy[_2_]

Wayne Mitchell wrote:

Will and I are old hands, and it has been a long time since I stopped to
read the manufacturer's directions. It surprises me that it now says
once a day. Very few asthmatics, human or feline, can remain
well-controlled on once-a-day dosing. The bio-active half-life of
fluticasone averages about 8 hours in either species. Unless one wishes
to use very large doses, it makes more sense to dose at intervals of
about twelve hours.

Thanks a lot Wayne for this background info. It's very helpful. So if
Puss starts coughing again I'll certainly not dither over increasing the
dose! As things stand though, touch wood, he seems to be doing fine on
one puff per day. However, he's only been on it for four days.

If you are willing to do Yahoo groups, there are a couple that can help
shepherd you through the introduction and answer your questions:
(of which I am one of the moderators), and
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/felineasthma/
which is a general asthma group, but talks about inhaled meds mostly
nowadays because that has become the gold standard of treatment.

Thanks for your reply to me on inhaledmeds group! I found that group as
a result of someone here sharing a number of appropriate URLs.

I may have found a website that will ship the inhaler to the UK at a
good price. However, I haven't yet thought how I will handle matters
with the vet, who will no doubt expect to dispense inhalers to me from
now on at twice the price!

Regards,
Eddy.

Old November 23rd 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Eddy[_2_]

Hi Wayne,

Just looking through old posts in my newsreader and see your helpful
posts of a while back and am reminded to thank you very much for your
last post to me via the FAIM group.

You explained that although air can't get into the back of the Aerokat
chamber once the inhaler is in position, air can pass freely through the
inhaler itself. Ah, ha! I see!

That little Aerokat is a very clever little bit of kit, isn't it!

Once again, many thanks for your most helpful explanations.

Regards,
Eddy.