Kittens climbing screens...help!!

Old August 31st 05, 11:26 PM
LEC1985

Default Kittens climbing screens...help!!

Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to stop my two
kittens Zazu and Zu=F1i from climbing the screens in our apartment. They
are generally well behaved kittens, but the screen climbing is going
too far! They have a scratching post, which they use all the time, and
also a spray bottle for when they misbehave. The water bottle doesn't
seem to do the trick when they are on the screen. I read a previous
post on this group about putting spare change in an empty pop can, and
I plan on trying it as soon as we have an empty can. If anyone has any
suggestions, please let me know! Thank you!

Zazu and Zu=F1i's Mom

Old September 1st 05, 12:04 AM
MaryL

"LEC1985" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am just wondering if anyone can give me advice on how to stop my two
kittens Zazu and Zuņi from climbing the screens in our apartment. They
are generally well behaved kittens, but the screen climbing is going
too far! They have a scratching post, which they use all the time, and
also a spray bottle for when they misbehave. The water bottle doesn't
seem to do the trick when they are on the screen. I read a previous
post on this group about putting spare change in an empty pop can, and
I plan on trying it as soon as we have an empty can. If anyone has any
suggestions, please let me know! Thank you!

Zazu and Zuņi's Mom

How many screens do you have? If it would be practical, you could get some
sheets of plexiglas (or similar rigid plastic - the cheaper, the better) and
lean them against the screens until the cats learn not to climb. Plexiglas
is rigid and smooth, so it would be impossible for the cats to climb. It
would have to be tall enough so they could not stand on their back legs,
reach up, and grab the upper edge.

MaryL

Old September 1st 05, 12:07 AM
LEC1985

Mary.. that is a great idea! Luckily we are in a small apartment and do
not have many windows. That would also allow air to breeze through on
the parts not blocked by plexi glass .. thank you so much!!

Old September 1st 05, 12:14 AM
MaryL

"LEC1985" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary.. that is a great idea! Luckily we are in a small apartment and do
not have many windows. That would also allow air to breeze through on
the parts not blocked by plexi glass .. thank you so much!!

I'm glad it helped. Just be sure to stabilize the plexiglas so it cannot
fall out if the cats try to pull at it (even something as simple as masking
tape would probably do the job).

MaryL

Old September 1st 05, 05:10 AM
MaryL

"LEC1985" wrote in message
oups.com...
Mary.. that is a great idea! Luckily we are in a small apartment and do
not have many windows. That would also allow air to breeze through on
the parts not blocked by plexi glass .. thank you so much!!

Here's one additional suggestion (and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it
before): Cats love to climb, and they might be less attracted to the
screens if they had other options. Here is a link to a nice cat tree from
Drs. Foster and Smith. It is reasonably priced, floor-to-ceiling, but only
requires one foot of floor space. Cats love cat trees, they provide great
exercise, and in your case they would be a diversion from the screens.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...cfm?pCatId=524

MaryL

Old September 1st 05, 03:13 PM
Alison

Here's one additional suggestion (and I'm not sure why I didn't

think of it
before): Cats love to climb, and they might be less attracted to

the
screens if they had other options. Here is a link to a nice cat

tree from
Drs. Foster and Smith. It is reasonably priced, floor-to-ceiling,

but only
requires one foot of floor space. Cats love cat trees, they provide

great
exercise, and in your case they would be a diversion from the

screens.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...cfm?pCatId=524

MaryL

As Mary says , cats love to climb. It's what they do ! Its
important for their well being that you provide an outlet for this.
Instead of punishing them for climbing in the wrong places show them
where they *can* climb. As well as trees or if you don't have space
for them, you can fix up shelving and walkways on your walls.
Alison