How much to feed a 10 month old cat?

Old October 3rd 07, 06:31 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Default How much to feed a 10 month old cat?

We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about
10 month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her
(she is friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we
pick her up!)

Questions:

1. At this age do they get kitten food or adult?

2. What is the approximate right amount? Are two small cans or one
large one too little, about right, or too much?

3. So far we have been using old stock left by a friend who moved
overseas with their cats, but is there an outright best value
recommendation among various brands?

4. On that note, the cans we have are about 6 months old. Is that ok or
too old?

We are newbies and appreciate all advice. Thanks.
Old October 3rd 07, 08:07 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Hactar

In article , RPSinha Nobody wrote:
We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about
10 month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her
(she is friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we
pick her up!)

Questions:

1. At this age do they get kitten food or adult?

Check the can/bag. It should say.

4. On that note, the cans we have are about 6 months old. Is that ok or
too old?

6 months past the "use by" date, I'm thinking so. 6 months past the
manufacturing date but not past the "use by" date, no. No "use by"
date, got me.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? [TOFU := text oben,
Old October 3rd 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 17:31:34 +0000, RPSinha wrote:

We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about 10
month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her (she is
friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we pick her
up!)

Questions:

1. At this age do they get kitten food or adult?

The kitten food people say one year for kitten food; the cat food people
say feed their stuff from the beginning.

2. What is the approximate right amount? Are two small cans or one large
one too little, about right, or too much?

That depends on the food value of the food, and the weight and activity
level of the cat, and also on the weather for outdoor cats. Most cats
won't overeat, so if she leaves a bit, that's probably about the right
amount.

3. So far we have been using old stock left by a friend who moved
overseas with their cats, but is there an outright best value
recommendation among various brands?

Best value? That's as much emotional as anything else. I have fifteen
cats - cost and quality are both important, and I have settled on
Walmart's house brand (Special Kitty) kibble as the main feed. I have to
feed Spooky some canned food because he has lost enough teeth (he's very
old) to make it difficult for him to eat dry kibble - I use another
chain's house brand (Best Choice), but not any varieties with wheat or
wheat products in them (wheat is not so good for cats).

If the cat thrives, the food is good enough. Otherwise, otherwise.

4. On that note, the cans we have are about 6 months old. Is that ok or
too old?

Canned food, human and other, is usually good for at least two years from
manufacture.

--
T.E.D. )

Old October 3rd 07, 09:46 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"RPSinha" wrote in message
We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about
10 month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her
(she is friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we
pick her up!)

Questions:

1. At this age do they get kitten food or adult?

2. What is the approximate right amount? Are two small cans or one
large one too little, about right, or too much?

3. So far we have been using old stock left by a friend who moved
overseas with their cats, but is there an outright best value
recommendation among various brands?

4. On that note, the cans we have are about 6 months old. Is that ok or
too old?

We are newbies and appreciate all advice. Thanks.

At 10 months, they can eat regular canned cat food and/or dry kibbles....I
usually give mine both.....They always have kibbles available (an infinite
supply) and I give them the canned if they come into the kitchen and "ask"
for it. One feral male likes chopped roasted chicken, and it is almost as
cheap as cat food, so he gets it a lot. But they all eat the kibbles in a
pinch, and when we go on vacation they survive fine on kibbles and
water......

Old October 4th 07, 06:48 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
studio

You also didn't quite make it clear as to the sex of the cat?
Is it really a "her"?
From my experience females don't eat quite as much and

usually weigh less.

I feed my girl 1 can of Fancy Feast 6 times per week,
(I make her fast 1 day per week off the wet food)
she likes and has tried all the vareities...then,
Iams, Purina, Whiskas, or other kibbles, for the most part,
as much as she wants...and don't forget clean clear water.

She only gets hairball formula kibbles in the summer when she sheds,
and she gets a new batch of oat-grass I grow her every 6 weeks.

She grazes the oat grass constantly, and I am firm believer
in it's healthy benefits.
She purrs while eating it, so it must be good.

She is 14 years old now and still in good shape, so I hope I'm
doing something right.
She doesn't like people food at all...except for the occassional
piece of wheat bread or very small piece of blue cheese.

Old October 4th 07, 02:19 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spider

"RPSinha" wrote in message
We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about
10 month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her
(she is friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we
pick her up!)

Questions:

1. At this age do they get kitten food or adult?

2. What is the approximate right amount? Are two small cans or one
large one too little, about right, or too much?

3. So far we have been using old stock left by a friend who moved
overseas with their cats, but is there an outright best value
recommendation among various brands?

4. On that note, the cans we have are about 6 months old. Is that ok or
too old?

We are newbies and appreciate all advice. Thanks.

Hi,

Having read your OP and replies, I find I have no quarrel with the replies
you've received. However, I am a little concerned that you are feeding a
"neighbourhood cat". Is this a (possibly starving) feral cat, or a
neighbour's cat who is otherwise cared for?

I confess I should not be pleased if I learned that a neighbour were feeding
my cat. What if that cat is on a special diet? ... abstaining from food
prior to an operation?... already had an operation and needing
vetinary-specified food?

Do not get me wrong. I am not criticizing you; just trying to suggest that
you take these welfare points into consideration. If you're helping a
known feral, that's fine - you're every kitty and cat-lovers hero. You
obviously care about your feline visitor, which is great.

When you're feeding puss, don't forget the importance of fresh water.

Regards,
Spider

Old October 4th 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPSinha

Spider wrote:

: Having read your OP and replies, I find I have no quarrel with the replies
: you've received. However, I am a little concerned that you are feeding a
: "neighbourhood cat". Is this a (possibly starving) feral cat, or a
: neighbour's cat who is otherwise cared for?

She doesn't have a collar and no owner I can figure out. She also has a
very free schedule. She comes around at all sort of hours. She has
stayed in our home anywhere from 1/2 hr (eat and leave) to 8-10 hrs
(sleep). Sometimes she doesn't come for a few days.

Usually she lets us know she wants to eat by aggressively trying to get
into the cupboards (she has seen us get the cans from there). Similarly
when she wants to leave she makes commotion to attract attention and
then leads us towards the door.

By the manner in which she eats and finishes food, see seems genuinely
hungry. She can finish one small 3oz can without problem. Sometimes she
does want more but can only eat a little of the second can. If she does
eat a lot from the second can, she may throw up. That is why I had
asked how much food is good for her.

I do put water out but she rarely touches it.
Old October 4th 07, 03:53 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Espen

"Spider" writes:

"RPSinha" wrote in message
We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about
10 month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her
(she is friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we
pick her up!)

Do not get me wrong. I am not criticizing you; just trying to suggest that
you take these welfare points into consideration. If you're helping a
known feral, that's fine - you're every kitty and cat-lovers hero. You
obviously care about your feline visitor, which is great.

It's not that great.
If you feed a feral that's not altered
you're creating at least 10 ferals in just the first year.
Do the math.
Old October 4th 07, 05:03 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
William Graham

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Spider" writes:

"RPSinha" wrote in message
We are feeding a neighborhood cat who visits us regularly. She is about
10 month old grey tabby. So far it has not been possible to weigh her
(she is friendly enough and lets us touch her but really panics if we
pick her up!)

Do not get me wrong. I am not criticizing you; just trying to suggest
that
you take these welfare points into consideration. If you're helping a
known feral, that's fine - you're every kitty and cat-lovers hero. You
obviously care about your feline visitor, which is great.

It's not that great.
If you feed a feral that's not altered
you're creating at least 10 ferals in just the first year.
Do the math.

Unfortunately, you get exactly ZERO help in solving this problem from either
cat coalitions or aspca organizations. And I don't mean financial help. I
mean they won't lift a finger to help you trap a cat, or arrange in any way
to get one fixed.....They just want to sit and wait for you to capture them
and bring them to the vet for fixing.....As long as this is the case, there
will be many millions of feral cats born every year, most of whom will
starve to death. The problem is that you are afraid that if you catch one
and get it fixed, he/she will leave and you will never see him again. (I
certainly would if someone were to catch me in a trap and get me fixed)

Old October 4th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dan Espen

"William Graham" writes:

"Dan Espen" wrote in message
"Spider" writes:

"RPSinha" wrote in message
[...]

I've read this from you before.
Fear is the enemy.

You know what's right, do the right thing.

Cats don't hold grudges anyway.