Older Cat (Hopefully Arthritis?)

Old September 10th 03, 10:23 PM
AMc in CA

Default Older Cat (Hopefully Arthritis?)

My almost 17 1/2 year old feline companion is generally in good health
(confirmed by the vet within the past year). This summer he periodically has
trouble walking, but it usually only lasts for a few minutes to a half hour or
so (depending on what he's doing). Lately he periodically has trouble jumping
up to the back of the couch or onto the bed. Again, it isn't consistent.

This morning, he practically had to drag himself up onto the bed, then could
barely make it the length of the bed to my head. At that point he leaned
against me for his usual morning affection. He had trouble landing when he
jumped down, & trouble walking out of the room.

A half hour or so later when he came out from behind the blinds in the living
room, he was walking normally again. He was also able to hop on & off the bed
with no trouble. This has happened before, but didn't seem as bad as it did
this morning (maybe because he woke me up trying to make it up on the bed? g)
& he's always been fine afterward. Despite his age, he still does what I call
"kamikaze kitty" where he'll run at breakneck speed through my condo from the
bedroom to behind the living room blinds & has done that as recently as this
past weekend.

He's been on a kidney diet for older cats for a year or so. His eyes are
normal & respond to the amount of light in the room (he does have a cataract in
one eye). The only other recent change I notice in him is that sometimes when
he shakes (like after washing his ears) his balance appears affected while he's
doing it.

I realize a definite diagnosis must be made by a vet, but I'm hesitant to take
him if they'll just insist on x-rays & anesthetic [he had a reaction to
anesthetic after they worked on one of his teeth last year]). Has anyone here
had a cat display similar symptoms? If so, what was wrong with them?'

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions.

Alicia (& Tigger)
Old September 10th 03, 10:39 PM
Bill

"AMc in CA" wrote in message
[...]

It does not have to be an X-ray. It could be blood tests, temp, weight, and
general exam. You could say you want to wait until after the blood work comes
back before going ahead with X-rays. After it comes back, you can press on why
it is needed, if in fact that is recommended, and then think about what is
best. So, there is probably a way to get around your concern - if it comes up.

Bill

Bill

Old September 11th 03, 12:02 AM
Karen Chuplis

"AMc in CA" wrote in message
[...]

My vet did a full body xray on my very cranky cat and found her arthritis
and she was not under anesthesia. So, I do not believe it would be
necessary. It's very visible. Please take her in. If it is she could be
getting help sooner.

Karen

Old September 12th 03, 07:01 AM
AMc in CA

concern about him having to go thru x-rays & anesthetic, Bill kindly replied:

It does not have to be an X-ray. It could be blood tests,
temp, weight, and general exam. You could say you want
to wait until after the blood work comes back before
going ahead with X-rays. After it comes back, you can
press on why it is needed, if in fact that is recommended,
and then think about what is best. So, there is probably a
way to get around your concern - if it comes up.

Thanks, Bill! I was so focused on thinking they'd want x-rays (just had x-rays
for potential arthritis myself a couple of weeks ago) that I didn't even think
about a blood test, etc.

Coincidentally, what did I find in my mailbox when I got home last night? The
periodical magazine my vet puts out. And what was the main article about?
Older pets. And what nice bonus did they include? A $20 off coupon for a
senior wellness checkup. (Usually I'd get something like that the day or two
*after* I'd paid full price, not before. g) So, I made an appointment today
and :::whispering so Tigger doesn't hear::: we have an appointment tomorrow
morning.

Thanks, again!

Alicia