A Question About Breeding Cats

Old October 10th 03, 08:31 AM
Tracy

"TUV" wrote in message ...
Many domestic cats show qualities of purebred. But this does not make them
purebreed, and it shouldn't be treated this way. Domestic, mix breed cats
are not valued less, they are just NOT purebreed.

Any distinction that is primarily negative i.e "This cat is NOT" is a
statement of relative value. One creature is being defined in positive
terms as being smething and another is being defined in negative terms
as not being something.
It seems a bit naive to pretend this isn't so.

This term, often inforced
by the pedigree document, means that cat genepool has exact dominant and
recesive, visible and hidden genes and exact temperament as described and
allowed by breed's profile.

Temperament, in any cat, is far from an assured thing and there are
pure breeds whose temperaments are not exactly a doppelganger for
their breed profile. For physical looks, perhaps. I think it's a major
reach to extend that to temperament and personality.

Meaning, the cat shall pass her characteristics
to offspring which will look/behave the same. If the cat has no proof
(pedigree) of her genepool, noone can predict what would offspring look
like.

What does this have to do with look-a-like cats as pets? Surely the
main reason people want cats is as companion animals, not as stock to
create 2nd generation look-a-likes? I thought we were encouraging
people NOT to contribute to the cat overpopulation problem.

Did any one thought of genetic deseases? I agree, most often pedigree is not
a garantee the cat has no genetic defects, but there are rules and tests to
be run for many breeds which are known to be prone to certain defect or
desease.

Sure. Genetic diseases are associated with the repeated inbreeding of
relatively small groups of genetically similiar cats. Far more of an
issue with controlled breeding for certain physical characteristics.

There are many benefits of controlled breeding.
It's true, mixed cat can be equally beautifull, even more - depends on
individual preferances of every owner, but if the cat does not hold a
pedigree, one can only say it's Maine Coon look-a-like. And until a judge at
cat show says 'Yes, it really a Maine Coon, the eyes match, ears, body type,
legs, tail, colours, fur type and length, head shape and temperament are
exactly as specified by Maine Coon description' - then one can say 'My cat
is Maine Coon, but not purebreed'... IMHO

I think we need to take a long look at how controlled breeding is
affecting the "individual preferences of each owner". Because I think
alot of people like to say they have a "real" Siamese or Persian or a
Ragdoll and not a "fake" one.
It's human nature. But it's destructive. And the created demand is
what fuels the backyard breeding. Why create the demand for designer
cats?

And why purebreed cost money? Not because they are in general more
beautifull, or smarter, or more people friendly. But because someone put
lots of time and money to have a litter of desired quality, and more time
and love have been put into making those kittens best life companions.
Shelter cats can never match a kitten from real, respected breeder, simply
because that cat/kitten must have gone through some character deforming or
character changing situation before it has found you.
If didn't spend first 12 to 14 weeks with it's mother and littermates, it's not
socialized the way it might have been.
I'm not saying not to take a cat from shelter, but the risk is undoubtfully
bigger in every respect then if taking a cat from a breeder.

And that's the problem in a nutshell. Instead of paying tribute to the
wonderful, adaptable creatures that most cats are, and to the glorious
cats that nature turns out everyday, there are these subtle aspersions
cast in order to preserve the market for the products of responsible
(and irresponsible) breeders. And the potential cat owner is steered
away from the existing cats. Because of course they want the "best
life companion" and not one that has a "deformed" or "changed"
character and is "risky". I find the above comments irresponsible and
it saddens me that people make them who say they care about cats. And
they're so wrong when there are thousands of existing cats in shelters
who aren't even remotely a risk of anything - but are at risk of not
finding homes while people hanker for Ragdolls or Aby's or Burmese
because of things they read about the breeds, or their boastful
friends with purebred cats.

But here's the thought: Simply by going through shelters one might not be
able to find what is desired, but by going to a breeder of the breed which
has the desired features - cannot go wrong (and without wallet). This is the
main reason for breeding! To have exactly, the best way, and not to have
maybe, every now and then.

Actually any set of traits that can possibly be desired - with the
exception of papers and genetic data - can be found in existing cats.
They don't have to be made-to-order as custom cats. And there's really
no reason to perpetuate that belief that I can think of, unless one
wishes to sell cats. Then it's very important to differentiate which
ones are the "best".

But with a holocaust of companion animal deaths and a major
overpopulation problem, perhaps we need to start defining the "best" -
a bit differently.