Benny's cloudy eye--any thoughts?

Old November 15th 03, 01:34 AM
jen

The vet and I learned alot those few years. She also had some allergy
problems, my little problem child. : ) We eventually found that a careful
balance of steroids, anti-viral drops in her eye, and estrogen pills kept
her pretty healthy and comfortable. Malusee ended up having surgery on her
eye to repair the cornea, but we also were totally uneducated about it and
were learning as we went along. Had I been to the optometrist much earlier,
we probably could have avoided it. But the surgery was a great success, the
Drs were very impressed with her recovery. It's been years since that all
went on, so my memory it not great about her symptoms any more. But I think
that going to the optometrist certainly gives Benny a great chance.
jen

A herpes virus? That's interesting. You guys are giving me hope that
he'll be able to be treated and ok. Only six days until his
appointment. . .

Rene

Malusee had problems with her eyes, caused by a herpes virus. She did

end
up with cloudyness in both eyes. We did take her to an optomotrist, and
wish had much sooner. I'm glad to hear that you are seeing one right

away.
Good Luck to Benny.
jen

Benny, a 3 y/o DSH, has recently developed a slight cloudiness in his
right eye. I think it's been slowly coming on, but at first I thought
it was just the way his eye reflected in the dark/shadows--the way
cat's eyes tend to glow. When I held him in the light and looked
closer, I saw it was more than that.

First off--my b/f and I have a vet appointment for Wednesday to check
this out. But does anyone have any suggestions on what to ask the vet,
or what this may or may not be?

It has not affected his mood or appetite, nor in the way he plays or
interacts with Tucker, his 5 y/o kitty pal. I fear he may have some
sight loss, as he seems to favor the other side a bit. He does not
scratch or bother the eye, and there is no unusual discharge. (He is
indoor only, and neutered.) Can cats get cataracts at three years
old?!

I'm worried about him. He seems too young to have eye problems, and up
until now, he's been a very healthy cat. I shouldn't jump to
conclusions yet, but he's such a sweet cat. . .

TIA,
Rene