claws out when jumping into or out of lap

Old February 12th 04, 04:16 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:11:28 -0600, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
kaeli ) said,

Funnily enough, they are much more careful when I'm nekkid. They seem to
know the difference between flesh and clothing.

Yeah, mine run away screaming and crying when I'm nekkid, so they
must know the difference. ;-)

My cat Otto is a little pervert. He likes to watch me in the shower, and
has actually jumped in with me twice. On purpose. He was always on the
sink waiting for me to get out, and then he wanted me to pet him with my wet
hands. Lately Tiger, in her quest to be with me as much as possible, has
been grabbing the sink first, so Otto has to take the toilet. Otto let her
get away with it for awhile but he's had the sink spot all this week so far.
After I get out of the shower, he wants to be in my lap (with a towel
wrapped around me). I figured he just likes the towel but even when I give
him one of his own, he wants my lap. He's not a major lap cat. When he
jumps up, he usually only stays a minute or two. But in the morning I have
to finally push him off, and he resists.

Liz

Old February 13th 04, 12:36 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Laura R." wrote in message

I treasure my various kitty scars. ;-)

I just noticed two cat scratches on my neck today. The only good thing is
that it makes me look like I have a much more interesting social life than I
currently do :-)!

rona

Old February 14th 04, 06:41 PM
Mary

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:25:45 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

Heh, funny you should say that. In the last place where I lived,
working for a different company, I traveled a lot. When I'd been

gone
too frequently or too long for Jacob's taste, I always knew it
because of this one thing he would do on my first night back home.
Just as I'd be falling asleep, Jacob would get on my pillow, lie

down
on his side curled around my head (isn't that sweet?) and then dig

in
all four paws and crazily snarl the bejeebies out of my hair. He'd
extend his claws just enough so that I knew he was making a point.
Then he'd bite my head. He never broke skin, but he came damned
close, and he certainly did let me know how he felt about my
traveling.

Kira attacks me when she thinks I am not spending enough time with
her.She will bite or swat at me when I pass by. Sometimes, she will
run and leap at me, wrapping her paws around my thigh.

It doesn't take much to get the hint, so I spend some special time
with her, and she drops the hostilty routine.

One of the cutest things Buddha does is slap at us when we have been
petting her for a while and try to withdraw. It's like "Hey! *I* will
let you know when you can stop!"

Old February 16th 04, 01:29 AM
Wendy

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
circa Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:41:22 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,

Kira attacks me when she thinks I am not spending enough time with
her.She will bite or swat at me when I pass by. Sometimes, she will
run and leap at me, wrapping her paws around my thigh.

It doesn't take much to get the hint, so I spend some special time
with her, and she drops the hostilty routine.

One of the cutest things Buddha does is slap at us when we have been
petting her for a while and try to withdraw. It's like "Hey! *I* will
let you know when you can stop!"

Alex used to do that, even going so far as to tear after me and grab
my ankles. Jacob, OTOH, will gently grab with both paws and his mouth
and will pull my hand to wherever he wants to be petted if I try to
stop before he's ready. He even does it to other people when they pet
him. :-)

Camille stands up on her hind legs and "chipmunks" when she wants to
be petted, mewling loudly.

Oscar, being my dain bramaged kitty, just runs headlong into me when
he wants to be petted. G

Laura

My cat (well actually the dh's cat), Buffy, was a head-butter. I always
thought he was a few short upstairs after he skidded out and ran head first
into the back door.

Old February 16th 04, 01:48 AM
Wendy

"Meghan Noecker" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 04:37:32 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa 13 Feb 2004 07:50:39 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav, Meghan
Noecker ) said,

I found that I could hold my left arm out straight, and she would
stand up in the sink with her front feet holding onto my arm (no
claws), and I could wash her with me right hand. As long as my arm was
there for her to hold, she stood calmly and let me do it. No
struggling at all. A huge difference from the panic and attack of
everything else within reach.

I was really impressed. One, that she would trust me even when I was
the one doing it to her. She obviously calmed down and let me do it.
But also that she would intentionally retract her claws for me.

I've only had to bathe her twice, so it doesn't come up much, but it
left quite an impression on me, and not a bloody one

Maynard will do the same thing too, but he isn't bothered by water
unless it is on his head. So, it isn't as impressive with him. He is
waterproof.

I can't even imagine. I think the last time I gave a cat a bath was
when Jacob was a couple of months old. He's 16 now. G

Kira has had two baths. First was probably about 8 months old. The
second one was probably in the next year. She is 11 now. Maynard has
had 3 or 4 over the years, back when we used to do flea dips. We
started treating the floors about 10 or 12 years ago, so we don't do
those anymore. He's 17 1/2. And Chase is 3, no baths for him yet. We
only do them when they are dirty and really do need a bath.

I used to have to bathe our part persian, Fluffernutter, from time to time.
He had a really smooth tongue that just didn't quite do the job without
occasional help. He'd be fine until he got to the shower doors. Then he'd
grab the door and hang on for dear life (picturing brer rabbit "please don't
throw me in that briar patch"). Once I got him in the tub and turned on the
water he'd be fine until it was time to dry him off. Man was he gorgeous
when it was done though.

W.