Difference between "play" stalking and "kill you now" stalking..

Old August 13th 04, 05:21 AM
Brian Link

Default Difference between "play" stalking and "kill you now" stalking..

Well, things are trundling along slowly but surely here. We've started
using a spray bottle and by god Henry respects its authoritah..All I
need to do is put it on the ground between him and the other cats and
he calms right down.

Anyway, Louis is relaxed enough to play (cautiously) in the same
(large) room with Henry. Occasionally Henry will hunker down and watch
Louis running, and here's the question. I can't figure out if I should
just let him make the dash in case he just wants to play. Are there
any sort of body-language signs that might indicate he's not planning
on eating Louis?

Brian Link, Minnesota Countertenor
----------------------------------
"I think animal testing is a terrible idea;
they get all nervous and give the wrong answers."
- regmech
Old August 13th 04, 09:35 AM
IBen Getiner

Don't you have anything better to do?
Old August 13th 04, 09:35 AM
IBen Getiner

Don't you have anything better to do?
Old August 13th 04, 01:47 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...
Well, things are trundling along slowly but surely here. We've started
using a spray bottle and by god Henry respects its authoritah..All I
need to do is put it on the ground between him and the other cats and
he calms right down.

Anyway, Louis is relaxed enough to play (cautiously) in the same
(large) room with Henry. Occasionally Henry will hunker down and watch
Louis running, and here's the question. I can't figure out if I should
just let him make the dash in case he just wants to play. Are there
any sort of body-language signs that might indicate he's not planning
on eating Louis?

For those of us who don't read all the messages every day, what kind of
animal is Louis?
If he's another cat or a dog, let Henry play. I have never known a cat to
stalk another cat in the same position they stalk prey in and be serious.
It's always play, even if it gets rough. Although, as my Dad likes to say
about the children, "after laughing comes crying". IOW, if one gets too
rough, the other might get ****ed about it and then they have a tussle.

If Louis is a prey species, such as a hamster or bird, never, ever trust
Henry if he's in any kind of stalking position, play or otherwise. It can
rapidly devolve (or evolve) into seriousness quicker than you can stop him
from doing damage. I have always trained my cats to ignore my pets who are
prey species.

~kaeli~
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old August 13th 04, 01:47 PM
kaeli

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Old August 14th 04, 11:39 PM
MacCandace

For those of us who don't read all the messages every day, what kind of
animal is Louis?

Louis is also a cat.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old August 15th 04, 04:28 AM
Brian Link

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:47:48 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...

--

Thanks for the reply - Louis is a Bengal, smaller than Henry and a bit
older, though both are less than two years old.

BLink
Old August 15th 04, 04:28 AM
Brian Link

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 07:47:48 -0500, kaeli
wrote:

In article ,
enlightened us with...