may to have to give them up

Old August 28th 05, 08:35 PM
ensoul

Default may to have to give them up

Moe & Rudy, 8 months old brothers, neutered, we got them from the SPCA
they told us the 2 were very loving, NOT

they fight and leave marks on each other, ever night they tear the
apartment apart; they knock over plants, break knick knacks, have even
destroyed CD's, we live in an upstairs apartment anf of coarse they
like to sit in the open windows but now they're trying to push out the
screens

sometimes they are loving toward us, other time we get stratched...my
hubby has cancer a strach can mean an infection and that's dangerous

they take clean clothes from the basket and drag them around, the knock
over lamps, the trash can and even chairs, only at night

we can't let them in out bdrm at night because we get no sleep w/them
tearing everything apart

I love them dearly, what can I do? what can I do? I'm deseparate

lynn

Old August 28th 05, 08:38 PM
Gail

Ask the vet for medications to calm them down. In time, they may adjust to
each other and their new home.
gail
ups.com...

Old August 28th 05, 11:42 PM
(WebElder)

On 28 Aug 2005 12:35:54 -0700, "ensoul" wrote:

[...]

In addition to medication,seek help from a behaviorist. Have you tried
to keep them seperate at night for now? One in the livingroom,the
other in the bedroom? See if being kept isolated from each other
helps....at least at night. They are playing off of each
other....Kinda like when two kids are together and how differently
they behave when each is alone.

Ray
WebElder
I don't "Suffer" from Insanity..I rather enjoy it!

CATTS
http://members.tripod.com/~thewebster/catts.html

Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Laby...6/meshead.html
Old August 29th 05, 12:02 AM
Candace

Gail wrote:
Ask the vet for medications to calm them down. In time, they may adjust to
each other and their new home.
gail

I don't know, some of this seems like normal kitten behavior to me. I
don't know if it's right to medicate the kitten out of a cat.

I have a 7 year old cat who is very lightly medicated for aggressive
behavior (it doesn't help much, separation is all that works for now)
but I feel bad medicating him although it doesn't affect him much. He
certainly isn't downed out; he just isn't bouncing off the walls
constantly, he sleeps like a normal cat now. But I would feel bad
medicating a kitten for rambunctiousness. And it can take a couple
years for cats to stop being kittenish.

I can't remember if she used Feliway yet, I know she was asking about
it. They are used to an older, single. more docile cat. The best
thing, hard as it may be, might be to rehome them. I would only return
them to the shelter if it's definitely no-kill. I think it's wrong to
take a cat home and then return it to a kill shelter. Not *as* bad to
return them to a no-kill shelter.

OP, maybe you need to go through an intro process and keep them
separate for a couple weeks and gradually re-intro them to each other,
with the help of Feliway. It might work...or it might not. Slow intro
has not worked for my cats but seems to for most.

Candace

Old August 29th 05, 02:44 AM
ensoul

I thank you all for the suggestions, this is small apartment no such
thing as a seperate dinning rookm though we do have do 2 bdrms....we
have very limited incomes a behavorist is out, my hubby gets VA
benefits and I get workers comp at 50.12 a week....we plan on tryong
feliway

Old August 29th 05, 10:14 AM

ensoul wrote:
I thank you all for the suggestions, this is small apartment

And people wonder why I have the criteria I do for adoption...

no such
thing as a seperate dinning rookm though we do have do 2 bdrms....we
have very limited incomes a behavorist is out, my hubby gets VA
benefits and I get workers comp at 50.12 a week....we plan on tryong
feliway

Why, in God's name, if your husband can't be scratched and you have no
money would you adopt not only ONE, cat but TWO?

First, trim their nails. Keep them trimmed.

Second, they are probably fighting for territory. Are they neutered?
If not get them neutered, pronto.

They may have been perfectly fine in another setting but for whatever
reason are now fighting because of the new environment - it is not to
be taken for granted that the shelter lied to you.

Third, make sure they have plenty stimulation outside of each other.
Buy a Turbo Scratcher and a CatDancer, and any other interactive toys
you can find with which they can play by themselves.

Feliaway is good, but you have it use is consistently and it is
expensive.

Separating them at this point will probably cause more stress than
leaving them together. You have to give both of them equal attention.

-L.

Old August 29th 05, 12:37 PM
Wendy

"ensoul" wrote in message
oups.com...
I thank you all for the suggestions, this is small apartment no such
thing as a seperate dinning rookm though we do have do 2 bdrms....we
have very limited incomes a behavorist is out, my hubby gets VA
benefits and I get workers comp at 50.12 a week....we plan on tryong
feliway

Check the prices of Feliway online. My experience is the Comfort Zone
refills last a week or so longer than the Feliway refills. We just got some
at Pet Smart this weekend for $15.99. The store will honor the online price.
Just print out the web page and take it with you. I found it elsewhere for a
little less but with shipping ,,,,,

Old August 29th 05, 09:21 PM
(WebElder)

On 28 Aug 2005 18:44:09 -0700, "ensoul" wrote:

I thank you all for the suggestions, this is small apartment no such
thing as a seperate dinning rookm though we do have do 2 bdrms....we
have very limited incomes a behavorist is out, my hubby gets VA
benefits and I get workers comp at 50.12 a week....we plan on tryong
feliway

Here in Houston the SPCA has a Behavorist on call to help and there is
no charge for phone consultation. Perhaps your area SPCA has the
same??

As for the scratching,try the "SOFTPAWS" idea as they do instead of
de-clawing Cats. They are not expensive at all.

http://www.softpaws.com

They really don't seem to be much more than normal active kittens.I
think most here will tell you healthy kittens can be a handful and
having two just doubles the activities.

I will be willing to bet they will settle down...as soon as each has
had its fill of tormenting you lol

Old August 30th 05, 12:06 AM
Cheryl

On Sun 28 Aug 2005 03:35:54p, ensoul wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
oups.com):

[...]

At 8 months old they are still kittens! My 2 youngest are about 11
months old now and they play with each other very rough. It looks
bad to me at times, but if the one getting the bad end of the
whoopin' is able to run away, no problem. Scarlett will even hiss
at Rhett when he's beating her up, but at the same time, she's in a
position to run away from him if she chooses to. I think she's
teaching him manners, but he's a slow learner. IOW, kitten
behavior. They still snuggle and groom each other at times. Do your
two do that at all, or is it full-time hatred of each other?

The other behavior is most definitely kitten behavior. I think this
is why so many people like to adopt adult cats; they're already
past the hoolikitten stage.

I'm sorry about your hubby and the cancer. He might have to keep
his distance while they're still so wild. I'd definitely shut the
BR door when you sleep. Try something for some white noise to drown
out their antics at night.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 30th 05, 09:50 PM
Alison

wrote in message
ups.com...

ensoul wrote:
I thank you all for the suggestions, this is small apartment

And people wonder why I have the criteria I do for adoption...

-L.

This is what can happen when cats are kept totally indoors and not
given enough stimulation and exercise. What's sad is people
suggesting the cats are medicated with out considering the fact that
the life style of the cats is contributing to this behaviour .
Alison