Purrs for a parakeet

Old October 11th 03, 06:15 PM
jmcquown

Default Purrs for a parakeet

Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil). Taz
is only 5 years old.

She was fine yesterday and last night. Playing, chirping, etc. This
morning when I uncovered her I noticed she was coughing. Within 2 hours,
she was at the bottom of the cage with bloody diarrhea. I freaked!

I've raised (as pets, not bred, but raised from babies) parakeets since
1966. Never have I seen a 'keet go down that fast. I called a friend of a
co-worker who is a manager at a nearby PetCo. This woman was planning to
become an avian vet but life circumstances prevented it. Anyway, she
immediately gave me instructions, half of which I already knew but I was in
a panic so I wasn't thinking straight.

I moved Taz to a smaller cage and covered it halfway with a towel. I set up
a goose-neck heat lamp with a low 40 watt bulb to shine on the covered side
of the cage. Made sure there were plenty of soft tissues in the bottom for
her flux. Then I drove like a bird startled by a cat (!) over to PetCo to
get some ornacycline (tetracycline for birds).

She reassured me, sometimes the heat alone helps, simply because they feel
chilled. By the time I came back, Taz was up on the perch next to the heat.
I have dissolved a tablet of the antibiotic in her water (a larger dish, 8
oz.). The manager also gave me (*gave* me!) a tiny eye-dropper like the one
she uses to treat birds in case I need to give Taz a little of the
ornacycline by beak. I am to continue the antibiotics for 5 full days (just
like humans, don't stop taking them just because you seem better). She said
if she eats in the next 2 days she should be fine; if not, take her to an
avian vet (she recommended one).

I feel better now. I don't want to lose this pretty little
white/yellow/blue bird. She's a little devil, but also a sweetie. She was
a gift from my fiance, Ray, after my other 'keet, Lorien, died. Purrs from
all would help. Thanks in advance.

Jill

Old October 11th 03, 06:54 PM
Nan

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:15:01 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

[...]

The Allons, TN gang is sending lots of purrs, woofs, and chirps for
Taz to get well.

Nan, Tiger, Tigger, Tortie + 6, Boomer, and Pollie the 'keet
Old October 11th 03, 07:00 PM
Marina

"jmcquown" wrote
Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil).

Taz
is only 5 years old.

Frank and Nikki are sending their best get-well purrs (never mind that Nikki
is licking her chops at the same time). My best wishes for Taz to recover
soon.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old October 11th 03, 07:05 PM
Jo Firey

I do not trust Jake and Rosie for this mission, so will send my own prayers for Taz.
Ill birds are so scary cause there seems to be little to do for them. I pray this is
just a scare and that Taz will be his usual devil of a self in a day or two.

Jo
--
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
insisted we invent houses and discover fire." -- Khiem Tran

Old October 11th 03, 07:10 PM
Steve Touchstone

wrote:

[...]

One of the bad things about our feathered pals are how fast they can
get sick. The flip side is that they also seem to get well just as
fast. Purrs coming from my furry ones, along with some chirps from the
Sunny and Ti, the cockatiels, for Taz to get well sooner rather than
later.
Old October 11th 03, 07:26 PM
rrb_091903

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Purrs, and best wishes that Taz is better soon.

rrb

Old October 11th 03, 08:12 PM
lrulan

aw, poor Taz. We will purr and pray that she recovers quickly.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old October 11th 03, 10:14 PM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Poor Taz! Shmogg got along fine with my budgies, so many purrs from him,
some enthusiastic squawks and head bobs from the ghosts of my two, and mad
wags from Fluff (she doesn't know what parakeets are but is happy to wag for
anyone in need)

Please keep us updated.

Yowie

Old October 11th 03, 10:19 PM
Yowie

wrote:

Since this group appears to be non-descriminatory in its purrs S I

would
like to ask for purrs for my parakeet, Taz (short for Tazmanian Devil).

Taz
is only 5 years old.

She was fine yesterday and last night. Playing, chirping, etc. This
morning when I uncovered her I noticed she was coughing. Within 2 hours,
she was at the bottom of the cage with bloody diarrhea. I freaked!

snip

[...]

When Brainy got sick, I used to turn the oven onto "low" then put her cage
at the end of the open door. It seemed to do the trick, thankfully, as my
apratment at the time had no other source of heat.

Brainy died of cancer in the end after giving us all h*ll for for over 10
years. I'm quite sure that Vomit (I didn't name him) died of a broken heart
less than a month later.

Yowie