Has anybody ever had a cat with anemia?

Old August 3rd 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Has anybody ever had a cat with anemia?

Has anybody ever had a cat with anemia? Is this really rare?

I've posted several times in the past month with no replies. Just
wondering if nobody has experience with this, or maybe my messages
aren't going through. I see them okay, and I've gotten replies on other
newsgroups.

Old August 3rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gail

Was the cat thoroughly checked out by a vet? Anemia is probably the by
product of another illness. My only cat that was anemic was when she was
dying of cancer.
Gail
oups.com...

Old August 4th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anybody ever had a cat with anemia? Is this really rare?

I've posted several times in the past month with no replies. Just
wondering if nobody has experience with this, or maybe my messages
aren't going through. I see them okay, and I've gotten replies on other
newsgroups.

Which type of anemia?

Old August 4th 06, 09:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Phil P. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anybody ever had a cat with anemia? Is this really rare?

I've posted several times in the past month with no replies. Just
wondering if nobody has experience with this, or maybe my messages
aren't going through. I see them okay, and I've gotten replies on other
newsgroups.

Which type of anemia?

She has the regenerative kind, and she does seem better than when she
was first diagnosed two weeks ago. But I am unsure if they need to do
more tests, and what the results would mean. Most of the websites talk
about underlying issues. The most easily corrected are flea infestation
or large wound. She doesn't have either.

This has all come on at the same time as a bad herpes infection due to
stress. She does have a lot of little scabs from being attacked by one
of the other cats. That has been mostly solved. We keep them separated,
though my nephew accidentally let Chase into the room two nights ago,
and she got attacked again. I broke it up, and she seemed to only lose
some hair. I don't know if the repeated small cuts from claws would be
enough to cause anemia. My only other guess of something stress related
would be maybe an ulcer. Do cats get ulcers? And can they bleed?

The vet said she was slightly anemic, and she will get bloodwork again
this afternoon. So hopefully, it will show some improvement. But I am
planning to ask for more of the supplement anyway.

If she has FIV, will that show up in standard bloodwork, or is it a
special test? And would cancer show up in regular bloodwork?

Also, what is the difference between a geriatric bloodpanel and a
standard feline panel? She had he geriatric done in February, and the
standard two weeks ago. Most of it looks about the same. But I am
curious to know what is different.

This is a copy of my last post:

I am wondering if anybody has had a cat with anemia and/or herpes (eye
problem brought on by stress).

Kira has both of these problems. It started because she has been
getting attacked by another cat in the house. She had treatment for the
herpes virus and was doing better, Got attacked again and it flared up
again. She had bloodwork done since the herpes was back and she had
lost weight too. The bloodwork showed an infection and anemia.

That was almost 2 weeks ago, and she has improved. Her eye is almost
cleared up with 2 more weeks to go with the Enysil.

I have seen some faster breathing, both before the anemia diagnosis and
since. She seemed better with that too, though I saw her breathing
faster again Sunday night.

I go back to the vet on Friday to get her bloodwork again to make sure
she is improving and review her treatment.

I figured I would go ahead and ask for more of the anemia supplement
since it has not completely cleared. It's an hour round trip for the
vet, so I would rather not wait til the bloodwork is back to pick up a
supplement if I already know she is going to need more.

I'm wondering if I shoudl go ahead and ask for more Enysil and eye
ointment. She has enough to go 2 more weeks, and that may clear it up.
But I wonder if it would be best to go ahead and keep some on hand for
the next time it happens. It is a lifelong virus that flares with
stress. And at this point, the stress is not going to stop.

We've taken action to reduce her stress, but keeping her and Chase
separated. When I am home, she is downstairs where my bedroom is. Chase
is locked upstairs. When I am at work, we reverse it. She has the run
of the upstairs and Chase is downstairs. This way, they each get some
variety, Kira has more attention, and Chase isn't totally kicked out of
his room. (He thinks he is my cat, and he sorta is). It's been working,
but we had a bad incident today. My nephew didn't catch him when he
tried to get downstairs. He came around the corner and attacked Kira.
He wouldn't let go, and they were a ball of flying hair. I broke it up
and have some nice scratches now. He was taken upstairs, and she is
resting now. But she lost more fur, probably has a few more scabs now
(which is probably the cause of her anemia), and it was obviously a
stressful event for her.

Are their any dangers to using Enysil in a more longterm way?

What more can I do for treating her anemia? And preventing it in the
future? She is currently taking a liquid supplement. Pet-Tinic (iron,
copper, B6, B12, and liver supplement).

I will ask the vet of course on Friday, but if I know of things in
advance, I can ask more about them. I noticed when Maynard had his
liver failure that the vets (admittedly a different vet) were happy to
answer questions about supplements and give recommendations, but they
did not volunteer that information. I had to ask.

Thank you very much!

Old August 4th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ryan Robbins

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anybody ever had a cat with anemia? Is this really rare?

My cat Sara developed severe anemia as her renal failure worsened. My vet
treated it with a Vitamin B and cortisone shot.

Old August 4th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

Hi there,

I almost answered your last post, but you posted mostly about how your
cat was doing and what all had happened. I think the only questions you
asked were if anyone had a website about blood values and if anyone had
a cat with cancer -- so I didn't think my anemia story applied!

Yes, we did have a cat with anemia. Bear came to us from the shelter
with a raging respiratory infection and anemia (don't know what he had
first.)

We treated him with Pet Tinic from the vet, had him rechecked when the
bottle was gone and he was fine again. That was probably in a month or so.

Take care,

Rhonda

Old August 5th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Rhonda wrote:
Hi there,

I almost answered your last post, but you posted mostly about how your
cat was doing and what all had happened. I think the only questions you
asked were if anyone had a website about blood values and if anyone had
a cat with cancer -- so I didn't think my anemia story applied!

Yes, we did have a cat with anemia. Bear came to us from the shelter
with a raging respiratory infection and anemia (don't know what he had
first.)

We treated him with Pet Tinic from the vet, had him rechecked when the
bottle was gone and he was fine again. That was probably in a month or so.

Thanks!

She is on Pet Tinic right now. First bottle was 1ml twice a day. She
has about 3 days left. Just got a second bottle today. He said 1/2 ml
twice a day. But her blood is thinner, so I'm not sure why the amount
went down.

He also added Pregnisone, and we'll get new blood results back
tomorrow.

Did your vet or the shelter have any idea what caused the anemia? At
this point, we have no idea what is causing it, so, I don't know if
this is a temporary thing, or something worse. I am curious to know of
the worse causes (renal failure, cancer, etc) would all show up in
bloodwork or not. I'm not sure if these bad things have been ruled out
or not, and I stupidly forgot to ask today. I was so concerned about
the falling down thing. And he seemed to think that was probably
related to the anemia and not something else that was bad. But later,
my mom said she thought the dog might have walked weird once. So, I
pulled the common water bowl. I can't find anything else that both
would have access to.