Don't want to declaw my cat

Old October 3rd 04, 09:26 PM
lue

Default Don't want to declaw my cat

I am currently living with my boyfriends parents, and we recently have
adopted a beautiful cat from the Humane Society. Our cat is a female
tabby and she's perfect, except she scratches all our furniture. I
cut her nails every week but it's not good enough she still uses
furniture as scratching posts. Everyone in the house is affected by
her nails but mostly my boyfriends mother. She wants us to get her
declawed, but I'm totally against declawing cats and will not put my
cat under such a painful surgery. I need painless alternative to
declawing that will save my furniture and my boyfriends mother's.
Old October 3rd 04, 09:38 PM
CatNipped

"lue" wrote in message
om...
I am currently living with my boyfriends parents, and we recently have
adopted a beautiful cat from the Humane Society. Our cat is a female
tabby and she's perfect, except she scratches all our furniture. I
cut her nails every week but it's not good enough she still uses
furniture as scratching posts. Everyone in the house is affected by
her nails but mostly my boyfriends mother. She wants us to get her
declawed, but I'm totally against declawing cats and will not put my
cat under such a painful surgery. I need painless alternative to
declawing that will save my furniture and my boyfriends mother's.

Try showing your boyfriend's mother this link:
http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/

If she still insists that you declaw your cat I would seriously consider
moving out and getting another boyfriend since, in that case, you might want
to think about the way he may have turned out being reared by this woman.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old October 3rd 04, 09:44 PM
Mary

"lue" wrote in message
om...
I am currently living with my boyfriends parents, and we recently have
adopted a beautiful cat from the Humane Society. Our cat is a female
tabby and she's perfect, except she scratches all our furniture. I
cut her nails every week but it's not good enough she still uses
furniture as scratching posts. Everyone in the house is affected by
her nails but mostly my boyfriends mother. She wants us to get her
declawed, but I'm totally against declawing cats and will not put my
cat under such a painful surgery. I need painless alternative to
declawing that will save my furniture and my boyfriends mother's.

Tell your boyfriend's mother that declawing is mutilation--the
hacking off of the last joint of the cat's paws. Tell her that many
of these cats wind up eliminating outside their boxes and becoming
biters. (Trust me--I did it to my cat many years ago not knowing
what it was.) First thing: get SoftPaws applied at the vet--that
will nip complaints in the bud. Then you can start training
your kitty.

All they need is somthing they like to scratch
better than the furniture. As soon as I got my cats the Alpine
Scratcher (on an in cline, a cardboard box with catnip
inside and a rough surface) and another flat one called
the Smarty Cat Suoerscratcher Plus they stopped
scratching the furniture. (You can get these at Petsmart,
Walmart, even Kroger for 10-15 bucks.) Another thing--
you can get a cat tree to put in your room. Bless you for
adopting this cat, andI hope once your boyfriend's mother
sees that you are training her she will allow you to keep her.

In return for this excellent advice g how about some
photos?

Old October 3rd 04, 11:04 PM
Kelly

"CatNipped" wrote in message

Try showing your boyfriend's mother this link:
http://community-2.webtv.net/stopdeclaw/declawpics/

If she still insists that you declaw your cat I would seriously consider
moving out and getting another boyfriend since, in that case, you might
want
to think about the way he may have turned out being reared by this woman.

You're absolutely ridiculous. Not only did your post have absolutely no
useful information, but your suggestion that if the woman doesn't stop
pushing to get the cat declawed that she should dump the boyfriend.
Hmmm........... Are you insane?????????

What would be much more useful is suggesting to the poster how she can train
the cat to use a scratching post, and inquiring if the cat HAS a scratching
post.

Instead you say... "dump your boyfriend".

Get a clue.

Old October 3rd 04, 11:13 PM
Mimi Forsyth

your Vet can install little plastic "jackets" on each claw that will render
then innocuous. You are absolutely right not to declaw the cat. Your
boyfriend's mother is a witch.

www.mimiforsyth.com