Found kittens, what should i do?

Old April 3rd 05, 02:08 AM
Rob

Default Found kittens, what should i do?

I found a couple of kittens in a box in my shed, I startled the mom
and it ran away. Should I just leave them? Will their mom come back?
They seem really young and barely able to walk on their own. For now I
left them as they were. I'd like to check up on them but I don't want
to scare off the mom again.
Old April 3rd 05, 02:33 AM
FD701

"Rob" wrote in message
I found a couple of kittens in a box in my shed, I startled the mom
and it ran away. Should I just leave them? Will their mom come back?
They seem really young and barely able to walk on their own. For now I
left them as they were. I'd like to check up on them but I don't want
to scare off the mom again.

If you have any cat food in the house, put some down, otherwise dont worry.
The mum should come back as soon as it is safe. Just make sure she can get
in the shed. She will probably move the babies, now you have found them. If
she doesnt, you could always put some wet cat-food in a bowl outside the
shed (but not too close, you dont want to attract any other animals), just
to help her out for a while.

Old April 3rd 05, 06:33 AM
mlbriggs

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:33:25 +0000, FD701 wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
I found a couple of kittens in a box in my shed, I startled the mom
and it ran away. Should I just leave them? Will their mom come back?
They seem really young and barely able to walk on their own. For now I
left them as they were. I'd like to check up on them but I don't want to
scare off the mom again.

If you have any cat food in the house, put some down, otherwise dont
worry. The mum should come back as soon as it is safe. Just make sure she
can get in the shed. She will probably move the babies, now you have found
them. If she doesnt, you could always put some wet cat-food in a bowl
outside the shed (but not too close, you dont want to attract any other
animals), just to help her out for a while.

And put some dry food and water in the shed. She needs extra nutrition
now that she is nursing babies. Once it is quiet, the mother undoubtedly
will return. If the food is there, she may want to stay. Good luck.
MLB

Old April 3rd 05, 06:50 AM
Phil P.

"Rob" wrote in message
I found a couple of kittens in a box in my shed, I startled the mom
and it ran away. Should I just leave them? Will their mom come back?
They seem really young and barely able to walk on their own. For now I
left them as they were. I'd like to check up on them but I don't want
to scare off the mom again.

If the kittens are very young, they need to be fed every few (2) hours and
kept warm. If you can't get KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) you can use human
baby formula - short term - in an emergency until you get some KMR when the
pet store opens. Just mix the baby formula at *twice* the label
concentration. Don't feed them more than 5 ml (1 tsp) per feeding and warm
the formula to 100 F.

If the kittens are very young, you may need to syringe-feed them. If you
must feed them with a syringe, feed them *upright* and very slowly so they
don't aspirate the formula into their lungs.

Its still too cold to leave very young kittens outdoors - The best thing you
can do is catch the mother and bring them all inside. Please don't leave
the kittens outdoors.

Best of luck.

Phil.

Old April 3rd 05, 12:02 PM
Rob

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:33:25 GMT, "FD701"
wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message
.. .
I found a couple of kittens in a box in my shed, I startled the mom
and it ran away. Should I just leave them? Will their mom come back?
They seem really young and barely able to walk on their own. For now I
left them as they were. I'd like to check up on them but I don't want
to scare off the mom again.

If you have any cat food in the house, put some down, otherwise dont worry.
The mum should come back as soon as it is safe. Just make sure she can get
in the shed. She will probably move the babies, now you have found them. If
she doesnt, you could always put some wet cat-food in a bowl outside the
shed (but not too close, you dont want to attract any other animals), just
to help her out for a while.

thanks for the advice, the kittens are gone and the tuna i left out
wasn't even touched. I guess the mom was in a hurry to get them out
but I hope she found a good place.
Old April 3rd 05, 04:18 PM
Annie Wxill

"Rob" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:33:25 GMT, "FD701"

thanks for the advice, the kittens are gone and the tuna i left out
wasn't even touched. I guess the mom was in a hurry to get them out
but I hope she found a good place.

Rob,
She will be back to a source of food. Keep putting it out.
If she thinks it is a good, safe shelter, she'll probably bring the kittens
back, too.
I'll bet they're not very far away.
Annie

Old April 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Phil P.

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"Rob" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 01:33:25 GMT, "FD701"

thanks for the advice, the kittens are gone and the tuna i left out
wasn't even touched. I guess the mom was in a hurry to get them out
but I hope she found a good place.

Rob,
She will be back to a source of food. Keep putting it out.
If she thinks it is a good, safe shelter, she'll probably bring the

kittens
back, too.
I'll bet they're not very far away.
Annie

Good advice.

Put out kitten food. Mom needs all the nutrition she can get right now.

Phil