Computer Problem

Old May 17th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Computer Problem

Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a computer? I
know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't get online except
for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.

I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work on it
Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.

I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect Yahoo
is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to open, and
then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to close.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jo

Old May 17th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Jo Firey" wrote in
:

Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a
computer? I know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't
get online except for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.

I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work
on it Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.

I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect
Yahoo is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to
open, and then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to
close.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jo

If you mean a current windows machine

open a command window (start - run - command) and type

ipconfig /flushdns

Old May 17th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a computer?
know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't get online except
for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.

I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work on
it
Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.

I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect Yahoo
is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to open, and
then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to close.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jo

As "outsider" said, you can use ipconfig /flushdns. In addition, are you
using XP or Vista? With either one (and while in Internet Explorer), I
*frequently* go to ToolsInternet Options and then delete files, history,
and settings. That can be done in one step with Vista and individually in
XP.

The reason I askeds if you are using Vista is that Yahoo may cause a problem
there. I bought a new computer in January, and for awhile I got frequent
"Internet has stopped working" error messages. This would happen several
times a day, and always while I was in IE. It would frequently happen when
I clicked on an ordinary link (such as those in CNN.com). On other
occasions, IE would suddenly either freeze or close and automatically
restart. I finally called Microsoft support, and the woman I talked to was
very helpful. One thing she had me do was go into Control Panel and delete
any references to Google or Yahoo (but Yahoo seemed to be the culprit in my
case). She said there are sometimes (not "always") incompatibility problems
with those two search tools and Vista, and she recommended that I use the
search bar at the top of the screen that is the default, or go to a search
tool manually. This has worked very well for me, and I have not had a
single error problem since that time. Unfortunately, I don't remember the
other step she had me take, but I think she had me make some change to the
add-ons.

MaryL

Old May 17th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Jo Firey" wrote

| Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a computer?
| know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't get online except
| for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.
|
| I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work on
it
| Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.
|
| I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect Yahoo
| is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to open, and
| then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to close.
|
| Any advice greatly appreciated.

If after trying the other steps suggested you still have a problem, try
resetting your modem. You will find a reset button on the back panel where
the cords connect. You'll have to use the tip of a pen or something to push
it in. Then you will have to re-create your internet connection per your
ISP's instructions.

Old May 17th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"outsider" wrote in message
"Jo Firey" wrote in
:

Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a
computer? I know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't
get online except for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.

I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work
on it Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.

I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect
Yahoo is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to
open, and then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to
close.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jo

If you mean a current windows machine

open a command window (start - run - command) and type

ipconfig /flushdns

That helped a LOT.

Guess its back to putting sticky notes on the side of the computer case.
Haven't had to do that for years.

Thank you

Old May 17th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

. ..

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

Personally I just think Yahoo/ATT is out to get me.

Or that their crappy performance is a sort of 'poison pill' to try to drive
Microsoft away.

But then, there is nothing quite like being unable to get online to make me
paranoid.

Thank you for the recommendations.

Jo

Old May 17th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Jo Firey" wrote

| Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a
computer?
| know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't get online
except
| for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.
|
| I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work
on
it
| Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.
|
| I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect
Yahoo
| is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to open, and
| then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to close.
|
| Any advice greatly appreciated.

If after trying the other steps suggested you still have a problem, try
resetting your modem. You will find a reset button on the back panel
where
the cords connect. You'll have to use the tip of a pen or something to
push
it in. Then you will have to re-create your internet connection per your
ISP's instructions.

Thanks. I have been resetting it. It usually helps, but lately didn't
seem to.

Jo

Old May 17th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shel-hed[_2_]

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:32:37 -0700, "Jo Firey" wrote:

Could one of you tell me again how to clear the DNS cache on a computer? I
know its somewhere on google on the group, but I can't get online except
for the newsgroups. Can't even open my email today.

I'm having absolute fits with my computer. Someone is coming to work on it
Monday. I hope they know what they are doing.

I think its all in the internet/DSL connection. But I also suspect Yahoo
is largely to blame. I'm having trouble getting web pages to open, and
then trouble getting programs such as internet explorer to close.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Jo-
You haven't given enough details, so here are some generalities;
There are two *main* reasons for your symptoms. One is a lousy connection, the
other is just a "plugged up" router. You obviously have the solution for the
second one. For a bad connection, all you can do is reset the modem/router. Of
course, this also depends on the modem, so you'll have to read your manual
carefully. If you aren't sure how to reset, just unplug *from the wall, not the
back of the unit* for 10 seconds or so. You shouldn't have to redo any settings
this way.

If it only happens at some sites, it may just be a lousy site plugging
everything up. Yahoo has always been bloated so I avoid it whenever possible.

If resetting the modem fixes it for awhile, but the problem returns, then you
most likely have bad line conditions.

These are generalities only... !!!

Old May 17th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote:

[...]

Which puts us back on topic. Molly has probably been gnawing on the phone
cord again. Should probably replace that as well before repair guy/gal
gets here.

Jo