Varieties of fur

Old May 18th 08, 02:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default Varieties of fur

I've never realised that cat fur comes in so many varieties. Not the colour,
or the length, but the texture.

Shmogg had short hair, but he felt soft, like rabbit fur. He had marino like
'crimping' in his fur on his shoulders, and his chest fur was softer than
his back fur

Pickle has short hair too, but he feels smooth and slick all over, almost
like water would run off like a duck.

Suki has long hair. Its usually cool and smooth, and 'heavy', such that she
has a part down her back. Even though its long hair, its never fuzzy or
fluffy, and always neat. She doesnt seem to need brushing. Suki has almost a
blue sheen to her white fur.

Shadow had long hair. Its fuzzy and warm like felt or velvet. It sticks out
in all directions and all the fur besides the guard hair is wavy (but not
wavy together, like marino wool or like Shmogg). Her armpits & belly have
little curls. Shadow needs to be brushed. Shadow has a yellowish sheen to
her white fur (where its clean, otherwise its grey/brown)

I can tell the difference between Suki & Shadow more by touch than sight,
LOL.

Cats continue to amaze me....

Yowie

Old May 18th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

I can tell the difference between Suki & Shadow more by touch than sight,
LOL.

Cats continue to amaze me....

Yowie

Likewise with ours.

Sammy has the finest, sleekest fur I've ever felt. Cleo's fur is soft
and fluffy, but not as sleek as Sammy's. Tabitha's is long and soft, but
tends to mat. Amelia and Harri have fur that is somewhat coarse and
Ranger's is smooth and soft.

It really is amazing the differences in fur textures.

Dan
Old May 18th 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

For many years I had twin toy poodles. So much so that I could barely tell
them apart across the room. Touch was an entirely different matter. They
didn't 'feel' a bit alike.

Jake's fur is changing as he gets older. I can tell he isn't in great good
health. His fur has gotten softer and a bit thinner. Less guard hair as
well.

Molly has a firm fairly course coat. Especially today as I got probably
the last of the winter undercoat out or her this morning.

Jo

Old May 18th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On May 17, 8:08*pm, "Yowie" wrote:
[...]

Oh, yes. They're all so different. When a cat jumps on the bed at
night, I can immediately tell which one it is just by touching their
fur.

Sherry
Old May 18th 08, 05:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sherry wrote:

Oh, yes. They're all so different. When a cat jumps on the bed at
night, I can immediately tell which one it is just by touching their
fur.

Heh, I can tell just by the weight landing on the bed which one it is.
But their fur is also completely different. Miranda's is very, very
short and very, very soft. Caliban's is longer and sleeker.

Nikki had semi-long and fairly coarse fur. I used to think Frank had the
softest fur any cat could have, until I touched a Russian Blue for the
first time.

Old May 18th 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Yowie" wrote in
:

I've never realised that cat fur comes in so many varieties. Not the
colour, or the length, but the texture.

Shmogg had short hair, but he felt soft, like rabbit fur. He had
marino like 'crimping' in his fur on his shoulders, and his chest fur
was softer than his back fur

I can tell the difference between Suki & Shadow more by touch than
sight, LOL.

Cats continue to amaze me....

Yowie

Frank has very soft smooth fur and he is a petite thing while the more
stout Lyle has course rough fur so it gives me a chuckle that Frank has the
raspy voice and Lyle's meow is sweet and clear like a little bell. Also
Lyle sheds more than Frank.

Old May 18th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

You can even have different kinds of fur on the same cat. I've had three
black-and-white cats, and for the most part, their black fur was sleek and
dense, and lay down flat-- like Pickle sounds. It's shiny, like a black
mirror. The white fur seems lighter and fluffier, and is more easily
ruffled.
Stinky's white fur has always been very bright white. It's always been hard
to get a good pic of him, because his white fur would bounce the flash right
back, and he looks radioactive.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old May 18th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Yowie wrote:
I've never realised that cat fur comes in so many varieties. Not the colour,
or the length, but the texture.
snip

I first noticed this with Mandy and Betsy (both RB) who were so similar
to each other in colouring that strangers confused them. And they were
both short-haired, too, your classic tabby-tortie DSH with their brown
black and grey tabby stripes and little patches of white under the chin
and some orange elsewhere.

Their fur texture was quite different. Mandy's was silky, Betsy's,
although smooth, was less silky. Sam, the current owner is a black DSH
with fur texture more like Betsy's. I saw Mandy's mother when I adopted
Mandy. She had sort of semi-long hair - not persian or anything, but
definitely longer than your typical DSH cat's fur. I used to wonder if
the unusual texture of Mandy's fur was due to her mother - although
Mandy's fur wasn't long at all.

Cheryl
Old May 18th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Yowie wrote:
I've never realised that cat fur comes in so many varieties. Not the
colour, or the length, but the texture.

Persia is soft like a rabbit But of course her tummy is much softer and
fluffier.

Jill

Old May 18th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Kreisleriana wrote:
Stinky's white fur has always been very bright white. It's always been hard
to get a good pic of him, because his white fur would bounce the flash right
back, and he looks radioactive.

My niece always complains that she can't get a good picture of Caliban
if he's in glaring sunlight, because the sunlight just bounces off his
white bib.